Changes and Events Around Shinjuku Station

gmat

There is going to be a festival outside of Shinjuku's West Exit.

These huts were noticed on the 3rd. Last night they were still there. The festival is later this week.

DSC_0024-2.jpg

DSC_0026-5.jpg

DSC_0027-5.jpg

Trying to shoot while crowds pass by is an exercise in patience.

DSC_0029-3.jpg

DSC_0030-2.jpg

DSC_0031-4.jpg

A row of lanterns across the street.

DSC_0032-4.jpg

DSC_0033-2.jpg

DSC_0034-6.jpg

Also work on the area behind the ticket machines at the West Exit meant that temporary structure to house the machines was erected.

DSC_0586.jpg

DSC_0587-1.jpg

DSC_0588.jpg

DSC_0589.jpg

DSC_0590.jpg

DSC_0591-1.jpg

DSC_0592-2.jpg

Also the shops along the west side of the South Exit have been demolished, leaving temporary sunshine for shoot from platform one.

DSC_0258.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0257.jpg

Best wishes,

HGrant

You have got me thinking of what type of festival is going to be held at Shinjuku Station. Again great photo shots that you have taken and even with the people going by it still looks great.

You have got me thinking of what type of festival is going to be held at Shinjuku Station. Again great photo shots that you have taken and even with the people going by it still looks great.

It's the Kumano Shrine Reitaisai (main festival).  Apparently a festival of this scale is held only once every three years in this locale.

Shinjuku and Tokyo stations always seem to me to be in a perpetual state of reconstruction.  In all my visits to Tokyo I don't think I've seen either station without part of it a work site, they appear to finish work at one end and then start again at the other.

Shinjuku and Tokyo stations always seem to me to be in a perpetual state of reconstruction.  In all my visits to Tokyo I don't think I've seen either station without part of it a work site, they appear to finish work at one end and then start again at the other.

It's not just those two stations, most very big stations in the Tokyo metropolitan area seem to be so.  It has alot to do with expanding passenger capacity or new services, as well as improving/adding retail and other space, as the railways derive a good portion of their profits from non-railway operations.  Right now the flavor du jour is captive market retail or "ekinaka", shops built inside the ticket barrier area.

More photos taken last night.

Taiko drummers,

DSC_0001-9.jpg

DSC_0002-9.jpg

DSC_0009-5.jpg

DSC_0016-4.jpg

DSC_0017-5.jpg

DSC_0018-5.jpg

DSC_0021-9.jpg

DSC_0023-6.jpg

DSC_0024-2-1.jpg

DSC_0025-4.jpg

DSC_0026-5-1.jpg

Three mikoshi (portable shrines) for children, I believe. You can see the carrying handles at the bottom of the shrine at the far left. The children can have a small parade just like the adults carrying the mlkoshis.

DSC_0029-3-1.jpg

DSC_0031-4-1.jpg

DSC_0032-4-1.jpg

Many commuters buy something to read and then discard the magazines/mangas into the rubbish bins at the end of the ride. It has gotten so that there are separate bins for magazines and newspapers. Some of the street people take the magazines from the bins and resell them as a way to earn income. Here is one such stand.

DSC_0033-2-1.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant