Do Kato HO models have sound?

John P Boogerd

John P Boogerd

I just saw a video of the blue train in HO with full sound - at least it seems so - and I wonder if Kato HO engines have sound - I'm just starting out in HO Japanese.

I just saw a video of the blue train in HO with full sound - at least it seems so - and I wonder if Kato HO engines have sound - I'm just starting out in HO Japanese.

I would suggest the sound was added in post production. DCC is still rare in Japan and really does not mesh well with the way the Japanese create temporary layouts on the floor and then pack everything up at the end of the day in boxes.  Can you post a link?

Claude_Dreyfus

None of the Japanese H0 stuff I have is DCC, and as far as I know none is DCC 'friendly' either... meaning that you would have to do some modifications to fit a chip. Some locos with sound are available, for example this Tenshodo EF66 - http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10140156 - really nice, but at over $800.00 a wee bit pricey!

I have, however, just seen that AClass are releasing the EF64 in H0. Now....

John P Boogerd

I would suggest the sound was added in post production. DCC is still rare in Japan and really does not mesh well with the way the Japanese create temporary layouts on the floor and then pack everything up at the end of the day in boxes.  Can you post a link?

I just typed Japanese model trains on youtube - really nice videos of some model trains there including a fabulous layout based on Ueno station.

John, all my Japanese modelling is in HO, and none of the models I have - Kato, Tomix, MicroAce and so on - have either DCC or sound fitted. The only Japanese HO I'm aware of with DCC and sound are some of the more expensive offerings from Tenshodo, like this:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10113054

Nice, but a bit too spendy for me!

Cheers,

Mark.

Martijn Meerts

Mark, that's not much more expensive than your average sound equipped Marklin steamer actually ;)

2 of my Marklin steamers were around that price.. The Big Boy and the Royal Bavarian Gt2 4x4.

$925 AUD - way beyond my budget! But that's okay, I'm not all that fussed about having a C62. If it was a C57 or C61, it would be a different matter...  :grin

I've not seen either of the models you mention, but for a while I owned a Trix USRA 2-8-2, which had DCC/sound. It was a lovely model, and I sometimes regret having sold it.

Cheers,

Mark.

Which kind of begs the next question... Does anyone actually make a sound decoder for HO Japanese locos? Actually, are there even any electric engine sound decoders at all? I would think at least Europe has them cause they seem to be able to make their trains "sing" when they accelerate from a stand still...

There are decoders with electric sounds from ESU under the LokSound brand, for European prototypes.  They have different sets of sounds for different decoders, so you have to browse around their site to get a good idea of what's available.

There's a Japanese company that sells LokSound decoders with Japanese sound, including a few electric ones, see this thread.

For more on sound decoders, see this thread.  And for some Japanese train sounds (not in a decoder) see this thread.

I haven't actually used any of these.  N-scale sound is reported to be very tinny due to the small speakers, although this may be less of an issue with electric sounds.  HO sound can be pretty good, although from the factory most trains seem to be set way too lound (I did a little sound on my old HO North American freight layout, and liked it quite a lot). I plan to eventually try some kind of sound in my N-scale commuter trains, but not soon.

John P Boogerd

Just saw another layout (it's N-scale I think) but it's gorgeous with sound and an incredible variety of trains - the scenery is on green mats I think but it works with a few buildings and houses - I put it here because the sound is so nicely done.

鉄道模型 しゃべる踏切とE231系(2)

Martijn Meerts

The problem with sound decoders is that the manufacturers of them often don't know the first thing about sound :)

It's quite possible to get decent sound even in N-scale, but it would require locomotives to be designed from the ground up with sound in mind. EMU/DMU etc. can be retrofitted with decent sound, but you'll have to do a bit of work yourself.

ESU does have some nice sound decoders, but how they sound is largely dependent on how the speaker is installed.

I have several trains with sound in various scales. I have some really expensive Marklin machines which came factory fitted with sound, but they weren't designed for sound, so even though they cost some 550 to 700 euro, the sound is a bit disappointing. 1 of them has such a low volume (even at max) that running the train at some speed drowns out the sound decoder completely. It's a heavy freight loco though, so not really meant to go fast :)

I also have 2 0-scale loco's with sound, and those are designed from scratch with sound in mind. 1 has a plastic shell, and the sound is rather plastic. The other has a metal shell and already sounds much better.

The fact is that with Japanese EMUs there very often is very little sound until they are right on top of the microphone.  More sound comes from audio crossing warnings, arrival and departure songs and announcements than the trains themselves.  There wouldn`t evenbe clickety -clack with welded rail.

Martijn Meerts

Bill, good point, and those sounds you mentions really belong at static places on the layout.

One thing I've also noticed, I've visited people with a H0 scale, steam era layout. With several trains running at the same time, the sounds just get annoying as they get all mixed etc. To have more realistic sounds, the volume needs to be way low, so you can only hear the sound when the train is real close to you, but in that case, the noise of the wheels on the track and the motor will drown out the sound anyway ...

Some examples of sound in prototype videos.

JR Series 371 passes through an open elevated station.

Crossing signals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGCrh-_xKVM

Series 371 track lever run bys

More runbys at track level or platforms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x52XjCeyIKM&list=PLC6866911B1B70564&index=1

Horns are rarely used, except for trains with musical horns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIOg3YdHycE&list=PL23BA551B6BCE7AED&index=19