Sangi Freight Railway Museum

Nick_Burman

Visited last year.  If anyone is considering a visit, please be aware they are open only on one Sunday a month.  It is a small volunteer operated museum (perhaps along with some Sangi Rlwy employees) operating out of a corrugated iron shed.  The collection is small but interesting for those into pre-container era freight operations.  However, for maximum enjoyment it is recommended you combine a visit with railfanning the Sangi Rlwy, especially it's freight trains, as well as the nearby Yokkaichi JR Freight action.

I will be in Nagoya on November 6th, I might look into spending the day in the area. I never did get all the way to the end of the Sangi Railway the last time I was there in 1996.

The museum is located at Nyugawa(丹生川駅), not the end of the line at Nishifujiwara, just to clear up a misconception seen on another thread.  Better that way though, to photograph the freight trains passing through. The railway's shops are located at Hobo.

The museum is located at Nyugawa(丹生川駅), not the end of the line at Nishifujiwara, just to clear up a misconception seen on another thread.  Better that way though, to photograph the freight trains passing through. The railway's shops are located at Hobo.

Interesting...then there is another museum at the end of the line, because I saw a video on Youtube which showed the end of the line (and the Sangi doen't end...it peters out, so to speak :grin) and glimpses of equipment by the station. If you go to Google Earth you can see several links to Panoramio pictures of this museum.

There is also another museum at Ageki on the end of the Hokusei line.

Cheers NB

Looks like the Sangi might be on my itinerary, anyone know if there is much freight activity on Sundays though?

There are Sunday trains, I'll check the timetable when I get home.

Looks like the Sangi might be on my itinerary, anyone know if there is much freight activity on Sundays though?

If you have time you could ride the Hokusei line to Ageki, walk from there to Ise-Hatta station on the Sangi (2km) and then ride the Sangi in whatever direction you prefer.

Cheers NB

If you have time you could ride the Hokusei line to Ageki, walk from there to Ise-Hatta station on the Sangi (2km) and then ride the Sangi in whatever direction you prefer.

Cheers NB

I did that in 1996 but I just missed the outward train at Ise-Hatta and never made it to the end of the line because I was a bit pushed for time.

Freights run 7 days a week, there are 7 trains in each direction/day between Tomida and Higashi Fujiwara.

Sounds like a plan then.

That seems to be the Wisteria Railway Park, which has some interesting displays.

How cute is this?  :grin

Cheers,

Mark

Sure it is. We had some similar units (also Japanese-built) in a steel mill here.

Cheers NB

I'm tempted to build one like this on a spare Black Beetle mech I have stashed away somewhere. I really like the looks of this critter.

Cheers,

Mark.

It is a small volunteer operated museum (perhaps along with some Sangi Rlwy employees) operating out of a corrugated iron shed.

Looking at photos of the shed, it appears to once have been a freight house? Aprt from the freight wagons, which I find very interesting, the Tobu 4-4-0 would be worth a visit on it's own, I reckon!

Cheers,

Mark.

Reviving an old thread.  Japanese Wikipedia has photos of  the preserved stock.  The museum's  own web site no longer seems to work.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/貨物鉄道博物館

A blog entry from 2016 with photos of inside the museum.

https://blog.goo.ne.jp/sgk3514/e/5758338c843e578d136d25f6494aa988

Another article 

https://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/feature/railnews/list/CK2019011902000232.html

Edited by bill937ca