Arranging discounts as a club

alpineaustralia

alpineaustralia

Dear administrators

Do you think it might be worthwhile approaching some of the suppliers that we have listed and offering to place a hyperlink or advertisement of their store on the forum website in exchange for a certain fixed discount to members of the forum. The store gets "free" advertising and access to a core demographic for their product. Win/win for everyone.

AlpineAustralia

Darren Jeffries

It is certainly something i would look into.

Before we do... could we come up with a list of the most common list we would like to use... We would have to limit the amount somewhat as we cant have lots of banners etc on the front page.

Darren Jeffries

HobbySearch actually has an affiliate program that might be worth a look.

Yes I looked into this... they offered me $25 in vouchers. Not really worth doing. Discounting for members would be more attractive.

alpineaustralia

Personally I would go for the following 4 sites, each of which accept orders from English speaking customers:

HobbySearch

PlazaJapan

Popondetta

Rainbowten.

Maybe we should have our own store. My old Nikon user message board, Nikonians did that.Of course the profits went back in to covering the cost of bandwidth used per month.

CaptOblivious

Maybe we should have our own store. My old Nikon user message board, Nikonians did that.Of course the profits went back in to covering the cost of bandwidth used per month.

The problem with this is that we would have no place to purchase the trains at wholesale prices—and hence no discounts.

Rainbow Ten offers a discount on large orders, but it doesn't stack with the standing 10% discount on train orders, so to get even a small break, we'd have to order ~US$2000 at a time :(

http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/faq.html#f20

The problem with this is that we would have no place to purchase the trains at wholesale prices—and hence no discounts.

Rainbow Ten offers a discount on large orders, but it doesn't stack with the standing 10% discount on train orders, so to get even a small break, we'd have to order ~US$2000 at a time :(

http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/faq.html#f20

Just a random thought.

I like the idea.

To make this possible, we need to learn from examples of other forums who get discounts from vendors or sellers first.

Also, I can imagine the sellers want more people than we currently have.

That means make this forum one of the essential sites for sharing and exchanging ideas for Japanese model trains.