Sinking AUD$

The_Ghan

Can't believe the Aussie Icon beer has now been brought by an overseas company

All the big US brewers are owned by foreign corporations- so they can't wrap themselves anymore in the flag and pooh-pooh foreign brews as snobby and effete. Mass market US beers are cr*p anyway.  Thank God for the smaller craft brewers.

• Like 1

Beats me how Euro problems can affect the AUD yet the Swiss Franc is surrounded by Euro countries but manages to hold its own!!!

Switzerland holds at least 40% of its foreign currency reserves in gold--by law.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/currencies/the-soaring-swiss-franc-the-next-best-thing-to-gold/article2109299/

I believe Japan also has gold in its foreign currency reserves.

Australia holds at least 40% of its foreign currency reserves in beer! ... I think that's a law too ... well, a rule at least!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Not anymore with Fosters Limited being brought out by AB Miller. Can't believe the Aussie Icon beer has now been brought by an overseas company and again the $AUD has dropped just over $1USD

That's right linkey.  Less Aussie beer can't be good for the currency!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Not anymore with Fosters Limited being brought out by AB Miller. Can't believe the Aussie Icon beer has now been brought by an overseas company

Fosters might be an "icon", but it hasn't been worth drinking for a long, long time.  :lipssealed:

I can remember the days when Fosters, VB etc. were only available in Victoria, they were both good brews then.

Cheers,

Mark.

All the big US brewers are owned by foreign corporations- so they can't wrap themselves anymore in the flag and pooh-pooh foreign brews as snobby and effete. Mass market US beers are cr*p anyway.   Thank God for the smaller craft brewers.

You're not wrong, BB. As the old joke goes, mass market US beers are like having sex in a canoe - f*cking close to water. As you say, the best beers in the US are those made by craft/boutique/micro breweries. One of the best ales I ever had was in Dubuque, from the Dubuque Star Brewery. Great building, too!

Cheers,

Mark.

ROFL.

Mark,

Take a look at Steel River Brewery.  Their "Platt's Folly" is a great malt beer.  I'm on a combination dosage of that and Coopers.  I'm drinking Aussie beer only, which means Cascade (owned by Fosters) is now off the list.  Boags sold out to Lion Nathan years ago, so they're off the list too.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Not anymore with Fosters Limited being brought out by AB Miller. Can't believe the Aussie Icon beer has now been brought by an overseas company

Fosters might be an "icon", but it hasn't been worth drinking for a long, long time.  :lipssealed:

I can remember the days when Fosters, VB etc. were only available in Victoria, they were both good brews then.

Cheers,

Mark.

That's the reason why I jumped off drinking Aussie beer and gone straight to the Japan's Beer (Kirin, Asahi and Sapporo) as I love drinking them and then I also have tried a few different O-sake. Mmmmmm need to go to Fuji-Mart in Prahran to buy some more, that means got to make a trip to the store on Friday.

Hi,

We can purchase Kirin Asahi and Sapporo beers in the UK, but Kirin is brewed under licence by Wells and Youngs in Bedford and Asahi by Shepherd Neame iin Faversham.  The cans of Sapporo said IMPORTED so I assumed they were the genuine article but NO. Yes they were imported but were brewed in Canada under licence!!!!

The only genuine beer is the Asahi Black lager which is imported from Japan.  Asahi beers were brewed in the Czech Republic for the UK until Shepherd Neame took over. The two companies are adept at brewing foreign beers under licence including Cobra and Kingfisher Indian beers.

The £ Yen rate has fallen again and it is now below 120 yen to the £.

I wonder if pulling off a Visa credit card from a postal-bank-atm in Japan would've provided a better deal... I've always been interested in the exact cost differences.

I'll be doing that for the rest of my money while I'm there, I just like to have some cash in my pocket when I land in case I need it.

I've stopped shopping until the exchange rate improves.  Even when the AUD$ was low against the US$ we were getting around 80 Yen.

Cheers

The_Ghan

78.5Y now keitaro.  That black hole known as the European Debt Crisis is going to swallow up the whole continent.  Only Switzerland, France and Germany will remain, like volcanic plugs in a barren wasteland.  As this debarcle unravels in slow motion the yen will soar.

Cheers

The_Ghan

And here I am spending money for good use for international running eg. Omocha Express and the JNS Forums donation. lol... Of course no matter what the exchange rate is I was going to put money into these areas anyway. Now hoping that Italy can get back on it dull feet and start kicking their butt into action to boost the euro and help get this 2nd wave of GFC away from the red and into a strong black (Stock Market talk).

Martijn Meerts

Ghan, the Netherlands might remain as well, although we currently seem to be in a "give all our money to bankrupt countries" mood :)

Of course, with all the storms these days, half of the Netherlands might soon be underwater  :grin

• Like 3

Sorry Martijn,

I WAS thinking of Netherlands (one of my favourite destinations) when I wrote that post, I simply forgot to include them in the list.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Mudkip Orange

Ghan, the Netherlands might remain as well, although we currently seem to be in a "give all our money to bankrupt countries" mood :)

Hey, if y'all hadn't all gotten on this Euro-currency thing, Italy could've done some "quantitative easing" on the Lira, Spain could print some Pesetas, Greece could spew forth Drachmas with a devluation in perhaps the 33-50% range, everyone could be chill.

But nooooo, everyone had to go and get denominated in one currency.

Martijn Meerts

Yeah.. And now a lot of countries want to go back to their old currencies, or leave the EU all together ..

The Euro did one thing, make everything more expensive =)

Mudkip Orange

If Germany and France and y'all set a target inflation rate for the core countries of 4-6%, and then the ECB simultaneously provided loans at low interest rates instead of the absurd speculative rates that Italy and Spain are now dealing with, y'all might right yourselves.

But ze Germans seem committed to austerity and zero percent inflation uber alles, the ECB doesn't want to be a lender of last resort, and while Italy and Spain were running budget surpluses on the eve of the crisis, they're now being treated just like the Greeks. Y'all got better trains but your government finance gurus are even crazier than ours.

Come on, that's not true. The Euro is just the perfect scapegoat for that.

That said, I don't see the point in engaging in counter political discussion here.

Martijn Meerts

Well, in the Netherlands, everything got more expensive when the Euro was introduced.. Everything that cost for example 1 guilder turned into 1 euro, but 1 euro was worth 2.2 guilders at the time. Of course, wages did get cut in half, so whoever earned 2500 guilders went down to some 1200 Euro give or take.

When they introduced the Euro, I lived in Norway, and it was actually quite noticeable because I had much more to spend before the Euro than after the Euro..

Anyway, what's done is done, and it is quite nice being able to go abroad and not having to worry about foreign currency.

anyway it was a short lived exchange rate of 10 minutes in my comsec account.

i could have bought 7 300 series shinkansens for the price of one lol.

Yeah.. And now a lot of countries want to go back to their old currencies, or leave the EU all together ..

Yes, it's a nice time to live in Switzerland.

Cheers

The_Ghan