Sinking AUD$

The_Ghan

Bugger me!

As you guys are probably aware, I've spent around $1,500 on trains as the Aussie dollar climbed past US$1.08 in the latter half of July.  I know I got a good deal with the exchange rates, but the trouble is I also reserved a load of stuff with HS and Rainbow.  Just look at what has happened to the AUD$ v US$ over the past week: http://au.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AUDUSD=X#symbol=;range=1m;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=;.  A couple of hours ago it was trading at US$0.99.4 [prolific swearing]%#!#$^%$ #$^%$@ [/prolific swearing] ... damn the limitations on HTML code ...

Likewise, a few hours ago AUD$ was trading at Y77.3 ... [more prolific swearing]%#!#$^%$ #$^%$@ [/more prolific swearing] ... nope, that code doesn't work either! 

Just look at what has happened to the AUD$ v JPY since I reserved my stuff: http://au.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AUDJPY%3DX#symbol=;range=1m;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=; ... down 8.5% for the month.  All that stuff I have reserved is going to cost me around $150 more than I budgeted for!

Are any other Aussies being screwed by the exchange rates like me? keitaro?

Cheers

The_Ghan

I just heard the news on the radio in the car as I was out driving around. I've got a heap of stuff reserved with HS that should have been here by now that has been delayed, then there's my trip to Japan in November. ???

Hi, I think the dollar has gone back up to about $1.01 U.S. this afternoon.  However it's disappointing to see it get lower again.  I bet some of the thieving retail stores in Australia are pleased.   :sad:

Cheers

Ashley

It seems to have levelled off at around $1.033, but it could move a cent or more either way over night.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Keitaro,

When I lived in Japan in 1984 I used to get around Y220 for AUD$1.  I was into British rail back then and didn't think to buy a single thing.  A Japanese school friend had a Z gauge layout in a suitcase.  Strangely I remember the case and the layout but just can't visualise what model he was running on it ... I might have Alzheimer's but at least I don't have Alzheimer's !!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

The highest the AUD got to the JPY was $1.05 and that was two to three years ago where some members were buying big at Japanese Model Railway Stores. If the Aussie Dollar can get back to the mid 80's to low 90's I will be happy. But if it goes beyond parity I am going to crazy! Dear Debit card, I'm sorry but you are going to be heartbroken :P

lol the thing is the japanese really want there yen to go down as there being killed in competition due to the rates.

I thought the tsunami would have lowered it but.... seems like a big power is behind keeping this up.......

The highest the AUD got to the JPY was $1.05 and that was two to three years ago where some members were buying big at Japanese Model Railway Stores. If the Aussie Dollar can get back to the mid 80's to low 90's I will be happy. But if it goes beyond parity I am going to crazy! Dear Debit card, I'm sorry but you are going to be heartbroken :P

This is true for recent times but in the mid 80's the AUD was much much higher - always over 200.  I'm kicking myself for not bein into Japanese model trains back then.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Nope,

It is the AUD$ going down against all the majors in response to Italy being downgraded and the anticipation that Greece will default ... yet again.  Beats me how Euro problems can affect the AUD yet the Swiss Franc is surrounded by Euro countries but manages to hold its own!!!

Either way, I'd prefer not to think about it thanks Keitaro !!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Seeing the huge amount of debt Japan is sitting on and its more than recovering economy since the 90s bubble, I don't quite understand why the Yen is not following the Euro and the Dollars in their descent.

Also, have very mixed feeling about this debt affair in the Euro-zone. The whole Euro economy (and debt) is not worse than some other major economies around the world and I have the impression the notation agency are just making things worse by degrading debt notes. Anyway, the whole idea of cutting public spending now seems way off. It just tackle the economy at its weakest and makes the recession worse. Also what was the point of putting so much amount of money before if it's to kill the positive effects now?

Beats me how Euro problems can affect the AUD yet the Swiss Franc is surrounded by Euro countries but manages to hold its own!!!

Switzerland holds at least 40% of its foreign currency reserves in gold--by law.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/currencies/the-soaring-swiss-franc-the-next-best-thing-to-gold/article2109299/

I believe Japan also has gold in its foreign currency reserves.

Seeing the huge amount of debt Japan is sitting on and its more than recovering economy since the 90s bubble, I don't quite understand why the Yen is not following the Euro and the Dollars in their descent.

Of Japan`s debt, 95% is held internally. Euro debt is external.  Japan continues to have more assets than debt, including a fair bit of gold in foreign currency reserves.

Numerous reasons one large concern though that japan don't mention for obvious reasons is their large neighbour that competes in the same market of manufacturing and is great at manipulating currency for thei benefit and getting away with it. I'll let you have a guess who that is.

Beats me how Euro problems can affect the AUD yet the Swiss Franc is surrounded by Euro countries but manages to hold its own!!!

Switzerland holds at least 40% of its foreign currency reserves in gold--by law.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/currencies/the-soaring-swiss-franc-the-next-best-thing-to-gold/article2109299/

Australia holds at least 40% of its foreign currency reserves in beer! ... I think that's a law too ... well, a rule at least!

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 2

Australia holds at least 40% of its foreign currency reserves in beer! ... I think that's a law too ... well, a rule at least!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Not anymore with Fosters Limited being brought out by AB Miller. Can't believe the Aussie Icon beer has now been brought by an overseas company and again the $AUD has dropped just over $1USD

While I was in town on a long lunch break yesterday I picked up 20,000 yen to give me some ready cash when I arrive in Japan, it cost me AU$275.

I wonder if pulling off a Visa credit card from a postal-bank-atm in Japan would've provided a better deal... I've always been interested in the exact cost differences.