Australian East Coast HSR

linkey

perhaps my statement was a bit misleading.

more refering to a dedicated line for freight where the train can travel at a decent speed and allowing much more to be shipped between cities.

while i'm not sure on the speeds freight goes in rural areas i'm sure it's not much over 100km/h

Last i remember most freight were 80 or 100km/h ??? westfalen or mark can probably confirm this?

i know the fastest train is 160km/h thats the QR tilt train and it's not freight.

Last i remember most freight were 80 or 100km/h ??? westfalen or mark can probably confirm this?

I don't know what speed limits apply in the rest of the country, but in NSW there's a blanket speed limit of 115kmh for freight - not that there's all that many places where you can run at that speed for any great distance.

Cheers,

Mark.

I don't know what speed limits apply in the rest of the country, but in NSW there's a blanket speed limit of 115kmh for freight - not that there's all that many places where you can run at that speed for any great distance.

Cheers,

Mark.

In same area's of Victoria you can go over the 100kmh and get to the speed limit of 115kmh, but there is also times where they are restricted to 80km/h too. The Fast Rail Project in Selected parts of the Victorian Railway hasn't helped the freight runs. Due to reduction of dual track, it doesn't help and the V/locity trains are suppose to travel at 160km/h but are restricted to 130kmh but I also believe that it is been restricted even further to 115kmh.

fair enough. Thats why a dedicated freight line would be good. more traffic on the lines and less time to travel between cities and key rural towns. Less trucks Win Win

High speed freight is an odd niche.  There are certainly some things that benefit from speed, but in general the goal for bulk products is to lower cost and faster trains use more fuel per mile (due to friction and air resistance). In the U.S. trains without automatic stop systems are limited to 79 mph (127 kph), but according to wikipedia most freight railroad track is at best Class 4, which is limited to 60 mph (97 kph) for freight.

I recall a few years ago when UPS was trying to use freight trains for cross-country shipments, and consistency was more of a concern for them than simple speed.

Keeping freight separate from passenger trains is important because it allows for faster and more frequent passenger service, and because it improves consistency for freight.

KenS,

I generally agree.  However, an apple or the mail is quite happy to travel between SYD and MEL at 2:00am.  PAX are not. Provided freight is being transported overnight it is an option, especially if it will avoid airport handling. 

Cheers

The_Ghan

Don't laugh bikkuri. 

My grandfather once told me of newspaper articles predicting Pitt Street, Sydney, being knee-deep in horse manure by the turn of the century ... they got that wrong!  Instead, it is Macquarie Street (location of NSW State Parliment) that is neck-deep in bullshit !!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1

The animal rights movement would put a stop to it before it got off the drawing board.

Whatever you propose in this country there is someone against it.

bikkuri bahn

Didn't know Sydney Airport had a noise curfew.  I'm all for building new rail lines, but it does seem surprising a city the size of Sydney doesn't have a second airport, say one that only hosts domestic flights or LCC.

Mudkip Orange

australias poor planning and mis management surprises many  :grin

Y'all got 5% unemployment and el caminos with V8s. Don't bang your heads against the wall too hard.

just lucky because of our stash of resources we are selling to china to only end up buying back off them for much more in the future  :laugh:

Yeah at some point China's not going to be able to keep the Yuan devalued, then shit gets real :D

That's when the manufacturing moves to India ... us Aussies have contracts with them too.    :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan