Auto Reverse Units

Bernard

If that is the right name for them. I'm thinking of adding a airport shuttle to my layout and was think of having 2 lines just going back and forth from point A to point B. It would run on DC. Does anyone know what I would need or where to get it in order to accomplish this?

Thanks

CaptOblivious

I wondered the same thing: I'd like trains to just shuttle back and forth across Akihabara station. I looked at the Miniatronics products, and while impressed, decided that computer-controlled DCC was no more difficult to set-up and way more flexible. We have yet to see if I am right...but I'm curious if anyone has used Miniatronic's stuff, what they think of it?

Darren Jeffries

I agree, I was thinking that if you were to use auto-reverse units that you would geta shuttle effect but the realism might not be there. It would be more realistic to have the shuttle be able to stop for a selected time before returning.

Capt. - You bring up a god point since most of my trains are running DCC so I took a look at this at Tony's train exchange (the last one listed) would that do the trick and how would I go about programming it?

Bill - the second unit you listed do you know if I can run 2 main lines on that unit? Correct me if I'm wrong but can the last unit listed can you preset multiple point for the train to stop at not just points A & B?

Guest bill937ca

Bill - the second unit you listed do you know if I can run 2 main lines on that unit? Correct me if I'm wrong but can the last unit listed can you preset multiple point for the train to stop at not just points A & B?

I suspect one line per unit.  It will do up to five stops.  If you have two parallel lines running you don't want both trains at the same points all the time. You'd probably need two units for two lines.

One further note.  I'm aware this items are available, but I have not purchased one of these units or ever used one.

Guest bill937ca

There is another possible option if you are using the Tomix TCS.  The Tomix 5563 is an automatic controller.which has these features:

Characteristics

??Automatic drive unit for TOMIX N gauge

? Automatic drive equipment corresponding to TCS power source and Next Neo

? In stopping and leaving, acceleration and deceleration can be smooth.

? 9-mode movement is possible.

Functions

? Extra power unit corresponding to TCS power source is necessary.

? Output is expected to be 500mA. Constant light function is not loaded.

? The improvement on running carriages is not necessary, but plastic wheels are not yet corresponded to.

? It's possible to change stoppage time (abt.1 sec.?abt. 60 sec.)

? It's possible to change acceleration and deceleration rates.

? Points can be automatically switched depending on different modes.

? Sleep mode is loaded, by which power supply is automatically cut off at certain time.

1. Linear Round-Trip Drive Mode

2. Round-trip, Stop at Station Mode

3. Zigzag Drive Mode (Z form track arrangement)

4. Zigzag Drive Mode (W cross arrangement)

5. 3 Trains Alternate Drive Mode

6. Endless Stop at Station Mode

7. 2 Trains Exchange at Station Mode (same direction drive)

8. 2 Trains Exchange at Station Mode (opposite direction drive)

9. Random Drive Mode

10.Through (Manual Drive) Mode

?Sensor, feeder or divergence cord will be necessary (separate sale).

http://bigmanjp.com/goods.cgi?act=goods_view&shop_id=we60120&goods_id=783&cn=1&p=&cname=

All the documentation with these units is in Japanese, so you should be aware of this. You also need a Tomix controller like the 5502.  It is the Tomix 5563 that I suspect controls the Enoden modules shown in a separate post.

CaptOblivious

The TCS stuff looks really awesome, very flexible. I haven't quite figured out what the TCS port on my Tomix controller is supposed to do, though.

Anyway, here is a video of the Automatic Controller at work:

Looks too jerky to me, but the simplicity may be worthwhile.

To do DCC, I will use a Digitrax system with the LocoBuffer USB, which turns your computer into a LocoNet throttle. I haven't settled on software yet. I'm a recovering software engineer, so I may whip up some custom software in JMRI. Since I now have empirical evidence that others might be interested, I'd make it freely available for others to use. But that's a few years off, so don't hold your breath :D

Bill & Capt.

Thank you both for the Tomix information. The video really shows it all, I was surprised to see that the unit also reverses polarity.

Anyone have experience with this? Has it advanced much since the death of this thread? Can the system handle a situation like in the video but with junctions at both ends of a single track. ie a long straight track with a station fork at each end. One train arrives - the other one leaves. This happening at both ends.

Gavin, there have been a number of newer threads on the TVs systems and newer ones have come out.

here is the newest thread

jeff

24 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Gavin, there have been a number of newer threads on the TVs systems and newer ones have come out.

here is the newest thread

jeff

Yeah, I found that one too. I searched the entire database.  The Tomix system should work for a straight line track with a fork at each end. Although that seems to be simpler than any of the 10 pre-programmed routes. It seems that what I'd use is only a tiny fraction of what the system is capable of. So it might be overkill for me. Maybe not the best use of three hundred smackeroos.

A teardrop shaped loop at each end would be fun. I could run the line manually then, without the need to constantly start and stop. It seems like the teardrop reversing loop is easy and fairly cheap to do in DCC but not so simple in DC. I could just make this a DCC line. That's an option. I may do that. I actually have a spare bus since I removed my small second yard. But I was thinking it might be fun to run some tiny trams and novelty trains that are too small to convert. 

If you go just past the auto reverse the cost will start going up. There are a couple of modular train control system that may get you what you want. It’s some work to piece it together, but should do it. Folks have been doing some Adriano systems as well. Older systems were pic processors.

http://www.azatrax.com/back-and-forth.html

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

If you go just past the auto reverse the cost will start going up. There are a couple of modular train control system that may get you what you want. It’s some work to piece it together, but should do it. Folks have been doing some Adriano systems as well. Older systems were pic processors.

http://www.azatrax.com/back-and-forth.html

cheers

jeff

Thanks. That looks perfect. Either the "Double Pickle Fork RR" or the "Out and back" reverse loop (times two). The teardrop loop would probably be more fun as it could be run manually, if I understand correctly.

I'll have to look at the available tomix tram track and see if I can make a teardrop loop at both ends of the layout. If not I'll have to go with the pickle.

If you don't mind only running one train, I got an auto reversing unit the other day that I don't really need.  It can do one train back and forth between two stations, and have 0 to 5 intermediate stations.  The unit comes with photocells for the sensors, you just need to places them between the rails of wherever you plan the stops to be.

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

Does this system need to be run automatically?  Or can it be run manually (double tear drop loops) and just use the system to control the junction switch and flip the track polarity as the tram crosses the switch? Is it necessary for the tram to stop so that the microchip can operate the switch and reverse the track polarity?

18 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

If you don't mind only running one train, I got an auto reversing unit the other day that I don't really need.  It can do one train back and forth between two stations, and have 0 to 5 intermediate stations.  The unit comes with photocells for the sensors, you just need to places them between the rails of wherever you plan the stops to be.

Thanks. I'm not sure yet. I'm trying to work out what would be the most fun to run. I think a manual line would be more fun as long as I could have a loop at each end. Otherwise it would be tedious. Start-stop-reverse-repeat. When we run trains , basically we let the trains run sometimes, and we control them sometimes. Having to stop and reverse at each end manually would be like actually working as a tram driver. That's not something I want. Way too job-like. 

Probably, the best thing would be just to make it a DCC line, and use a standard short-detecting flip circuit to control a reversing loop on both ends. 

The hook for me is that DC would allow me to run the teeny-tiny trams that aren't really DCC convertable. (actually I wonder if it can be don't with a D&H decoder). But it seems that a DC reversing loop is a complicated thing. Honestly I'm not sure why. I don't really understand why the same kind of short-detecting switch can't be used for DC as would be used for DCC. To understand this with my simple mind I'd need a really good ELIF on the subject.

Obviously a DC loop would be a simplest solution. I just don't have the real estate.

Edited by gavino200