1. 1. Who do you buy your trains from?

• HobbySearch
    • HobbyWorld
    • PlazaJapan
    • Rainbow 10
    • Tokyo-Rail
    • eBay (not-PlzaJapan)
    • Other: Specify berlow in post

One of my favorite places to buy my trains from used to sell on eBay a few years ago and was located in NJ. His prices were reasonable and the shipping was free. I haven't seen him list for a long time now.

One of my favorite places to buy my trains from used to sell on eBay a few years ago and was located in NJ. His prices were reasonable and the shipping was free. I haven't seen him list for a long time now.

Wish I could find more eBay sales, but I suspect it would just be a typical bidding war.

CaptOblivious

I buy largely from Rainbow Ten; although their prices are frequently no different from the competition, some items I've recently purchased were a good bit cheaper there; also, they offer SAL shipping for when I'm feeling cheap*. I also buy from Hobby Search (nice web page, points program) and occasionally from eBay sellers, including Plaza Japan and Good-Job Japan. I've had excellent service from all, although I recently had a problem with an order from Good-Job, and found that they don't really speak much English: I had to use Japanese to effectively communicate the problem with them. (They use an automatic translator to produce their English emails, and outside of the usual transactions, it pretty quickly becomes incomprehensible.) Still, good service! Just not in English.

*I've heard some grousing lately about SAL; My delivery times average about three weeks for SAL. I don't mind for the savings. I'm a patient man.

I agree with the simplicity of the Hobby Search web pages. Everything is clearly listed with photos and in English. It makes ordering very easy for me.

HobbySearch does not like FireFox. In fact anytime I order using FF as soon as I add something to the cart, it reloads and doubles the quantity so as soon as I add it the cart I have to hit stop load ASAP. HobbySearches billing system has also been a been to me.I have had problems with their system taking my credit card. Last week it tried to bill so many times to get the authorization that my card locked and had to re-activate my Master Card, then cancel the order with HS and re-order. Despite this, HobbySearch is my favorite place to order from. To date, I've p[laced and had about 20 orders with HS.

I have too many problems with PlazaJapan and have given up on them.

Hobby Search is my number one source.  I've never had a problem with them.  And I really haven't had a problem with any other dealer. Never at anytime have I had  to contact a dealer about  the order after shipment.  That's in over two years of ordering.

I've ordered from Plaza Japan, Rainbow Ten, Hobby Search, Hobbyworld Japan and a couple of Hong Kong eBay vendors along with Lee's Trains in the US.

I also buy from Hobby Search (nice web page, points program)

As the Japanese Yen gets stronger, the vendors with points programs (Hobby Search, Hobby World Japan) that give you a yen for each point are giving us a better deal.  More bang for our  points!

Aaron - I thought it was only me that was having problems ordering online with FireFox w/Hobby Search. I'll use Safari from now on. Thanks!

Aaron - I thought it was only me that was having problems ordering online with FireFox w/Hobby Search. I'll use Safari from now on. Thanks!

Internet Explorer, last I heard, was the most common browser in Asia. Most Asian web sites are written for IE.  ::)  I  use Firefox, but I haven't had any problems with Hobby Search.

I can order with FF, but I suspect it may have been the culprit on my last order where my card kept getting kicked back after the order was completed and confirmed so I re-attempted with IE. I guess I'll find out after they re-open if that was the problem. 

Won't be making any orders on HS with my EeePC on Linux and FF.

CaptOblivious

I can order with FF, but I suspect it may have been the culprit on my last order where my card kept getting kicked back after the order was completed and confirmed so I re-attempted with IE. I guess I'll find out after they re-open if that was the problem. 

Won't be making any orders on HS with my EeePC on Linux and FF.

I don't have any problems with Safari on any of the sites; You should be fine with Konqueror or its ilk.

alpineaustralia

I use Popendatta and they are actually cheaper than the pther Japanese suppliers but the communication and the ordering process can be a little strained. See my previous blog on them.

alpineaustralia
CaptOblivious

Hold the phone, I've seen Dauphin before, but not D-Stage. They have used stuff! They have used stuff that I want!

Could you tell us a little more about how to order from them?

alpineaustralia

Please be aware that Popondetta is still experiencing problems with its payment system (as has been the case for over a month now) as I was advised by them in an email received yesterday which read as follows:

The system for payment does not restore now either.

About an order from you article, we do hold.

We do Hold till a system restores it. If you want to do an additional order, tell us.

Best regards,

Popondetta

Popondetta Co., Ltd.

Rail Way Bldg

3-3-3 Sotokanda

Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0021

JAPAN

[TEL] 81-3-5297-5530

[FAX] 81-3-5297-5538

http://www.popondetta.jp/

[E-mail] tu-han@popondetta.com

now thats a bummer! wonder why? sal seems safer than surface mail, which seems the diciest of all shipping methods as it goes into containers and is gone for sometimes up to months at a time!

Well if a must have comes along there it would be worth popping or the ems, ill try registering and see how it goes.

when you have communicated with them do they have someone that can read/write english? dont mind trying to track down what i want via google translate, but the last communication step or any special order does really require that. glad to hear you have had such good luck with them.

cheers

jeff

EMS, SAL and surface mail all have the same limitations on size and weight (30kg max and over all size restriction). SAL is always cheaper than EMS, but the difference gets smaller the larger you get.

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/service/i_parcel_en.html

good info on all the shipping methods

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/service/compare_en.html

I wonder if plaza does this because large SAL packages can take 3-4 weeks to arrive and maybe also prone to getting smashed up more (w/o insurance!). also maybe their shipping agent charges larger handling fee for large sal packages.

small packet airmail has the restrictions of 2kg and smaller package size. it gets you the ems airmail priority but w/o the tracking or express delivery at the other end (just regular first class/airmail delivery). i have had small packet airmail shipments (small parts) arrive in like 4 days in the past.

just seems odd they would do surface mail and not SAL. must be something with their shipping agent or some problem for them with sal

cheers

jeff