GreenMax trains

Has anyone bought trains from GreenMax?

We stock a lot of their structure kits, but they make SO MANY cool trains that are ignored by Tomix and Kato. I have never seen one run. Are they smooth? Do they track?

I am talking about the completed trains, not the kits.

I have a kit.

Let me say this the kits are good. Fun to do and they run reasonably well for being self made.

Now the completed models.

They are essentially the same except already done for you.

They use same motor etc and of course look a bit better than the kit ones.

Again they run fine.

One thing to mention though they are not exactly quite. I have seen quite a few in action completed and uncompleted and they are noisy. Perhaps the completed has a bit of lubricant on the bear for the motor and a touch quieter.

While i think they are over priced the quality in detail is pretty good just i whish it could use a better motor such as fly wheel to be quieter.

As you mentioned there main sell is the fact that they do models no one else has done.

This is perhaps one main reason why they are still in business and possibly because building the kits is a lot of fun and although it's noisy I always look at my kit and think how much i like it because i spent hours assembling it.

I would like to also mention that alot of people actually scratch build these kits into a different model. The unpainted ones that is.

if i have time i will see if i can link or extract some phots out of mixi..

if you are looking at selling these i would say give it a go. Though stick to some of the newer models.

I say this becasue they seem to be making the kits a bit better than the kit i had.

Bob,

I don't have any Greenmax but I have noted a few people mention the noise.  The flip side is they seem to make some nice models not covered by other manufacturers.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Hi Bob!

I have some sets, I think the quality is good but the motor is a little bit noisy like the old Tomix (without flywheels, not the last production), but the body detail is really perfect like Kato or Tomix HG models. (the only "defect" for me is the simple coupler - Arnold style)

I really like the 2 cars set packaging (it's a VHS box with foam inside, if you wait I can make a photo)

I have a limited quantity of sets because it's a little bit more expensive compared with Kato or Tomix and sincerly I can't collect all, I like japanese private railways but I don't like to much commuter trains so I bought only particular painted sets.

ciao

Massimo

I have their Tokyo Metro 10000. So far that's my only one, but I presently have three more trains from them on reservation.

The detail is very high.  The running is, as others have said, rather noisy. And I don't think it's near as good as Kato mechanically.  I'd put it on a par with Micro Ace in many ways, and perhaps a bit better in appearance.

If you want one of the trains they make, and can survive the price, it's well worth it.  I doubt Kato or Tomix are going to make most of the ones they do.

Guest JRF-1935

Bob

I have a few of the Greenmax kits that I have enjoyed building, not so easy, but fun when done.  I don't have any of the completed train sets, but would love to have the Keikyu 2100 series Blue Sky Train.  Right now the reissue price of $350.00 + USD for the 8 car set is a little bit expensive for me.  Since they make the trains that Kato and Tomix don't, they have carved out a niche in the market, but I don't feel they're worth it for the price they offer.  Their building kits are very reasonable tho.

Rich C