[Greenmax] Tokyo Monorail 1000 Type

After a routine visit to the N-Gauge Information Blog, I've noticed this announcement: http://ngi.blog.eonet.jp/n_gauge/2011/07/greenmax1000-8c79.html SO MUCH AWESOME!

It's concerning an unpowered model of the Haneda Airport - Hamamatsuchô monorail of the 1000 Type by Fujimi (unpainted kit) and Greenmax (prepainted kit) and is sold as a 'Structure Kit'. Yes, this would be a joint-venture project from the two firms.

Now, I'm sure someone will play ball after the release of this kit and develop a battery powered set or maybe a develop some sort of system, making it able to run on Z-gauge tracks or whatever.

Here's the official poster: http://greenmax.co.jp/image/new_release/tokyomonore-ru-1000_poster01.jpg and the official release message: http://greenmax.co.jp/Schedule/GMschedule02.shtml

• Like 3
Martijn Meerts

Now that's interesting.. I might have to plan a monorail station in my new layout =)

WOW!

I've just sent my info request to Mr.Nao (R10) about price and release date

one set immediately reserved, the second one (maybe the third) if the price is good

ciao

Massimo

OMG that does not look easy to motorize... If I think about it too, you'll likely only be able to do a back and forth type layout. A loop looks to be space and possibly cost prohibitive. To do that, you'll need some way to control it. So really, wireless is the only option. It does look like one awesome model though. I'd buy it even to put on a desk!!

Monorails 101

MONO = ONE

RAIL = RAIL

Question 1: True or false?  You can get mono from riding the monorail.

You have now passed your intensive six week course. You are now a certified Japanese  monorail driver.

Guest Closed Account 1

One could use the grand entrance to the Kato Viaduct station without the glass wall as an entry/exit point for people to use the monorail. Like a balcony. Or use enough double wide station sections Of the same kit to accommodate the whole monorail train (term?).

i'll say it again this can definately be modified into a powered version.

It will require a hell of alot of effort though. i am really considering getting this as well and doing so.

Would love to write up a project on it.

i want to confirm the measurements of the track top surface first.

Hobby Dreamer

I love Webskipper's link translated:

Hello, you Mound shrimp paste.

Model Train Show 2011 is the 33th report was held at the Matsuya Ginza department store.

so i have been speaking to hs and they said we should have all specs and possibly preorder late august.

I contacted HS to see if they knew anything of it and i'll explain why.

I am seriously thinking of making this a project of mine to power this. I have been thinking about this and sharing ideas with The Ghan.

so this is what we were thinking of trying.

If i can find out the width of the track as drawn in red in picture attached i can figure out if the plan will work.

The first idea between me and The Ghan was to get either z guage or t guage depending on width of the track piece.

Use a router or manually file a groove into the track with the width of z or t guage "if they fit".

break sleepers etc of flex track then use flex track and afix into groove. (this will need to be measured and traced down accurately before filing.)

Drill a hole at a pillar that holds the track up and run the power wires down there.

Next mod the train and attach a motor I was thinking one at front and end to make sure train runs smoothly. (would be preffered to have z guage as can use a world kougei n narrow motor which would be easiest to modify in as already attached to wheels etc.)

One thing that I am woried about is if the static model will be easy to slide or if it clips to the track to hold it in place.

My other ideal

Was to attach flex trak to the outside of the track where the monorails sides come down so it's hidden behind the model as it passes.

Add a would kougei motor internally to the model and modify wheels to all have grip on them to grip the plastic track.

Modify the motors pick up so bronze prongs come down either side of the model and make contact with the flex track on either side to pick up power.

Wire the track of course near a pole where i can cover it up as something else.

thoughts ? ideas anyone?

edit pic didn't attach ...

post-484-13569928557567_thumb.jpg

Martijn Meerts

My initial thought was to make it battery operated, and actually turn the regular wheels into drive wheels using rubber tires from race track cars or something. You'd have little to no control over the train though, unless you add some RC electronics in there as well.

Modifying the track too much would probably ruin the look. Putting flex track on the sides is too obvious, as is cutting a groove to fit flex track. However, it'd be quite possible to use some thin metal wire instead of flex track, and then use some brass pickup strips. If you can find some darkened metal wire, it would also be nearly impossible, especially if you weather the top of the monorail track. I would expect the top to be fairly dirty/dark because of the rubber tires.

My initial thought was to make it battery operated, and actually turn the regular wheels into drive wheels using rubber tires from race track cars or something. You'd have little to no control over the train though, unless you add some RC electronics in there as well.

Modifying the track too much would probably ruin the look. Putting flex track on the sides is too obvious, as is cutting a groove to fit flex track. However, it'd be quite possible to use some thin metal wire instead of flex track, and then use some brass pickup strips. If you can find some darkened metal wire, it would also be nearly impossible, especially if you weather the top of the monorail track. I would expect the top to be fairly dirty/dark because of the rubber tires.

I had the same idea. I thought of the Tomytec bus mechanism at first, but the monorail looks too small and the track too narrow for it to fit.

A powered version of this would be the top selling N scale product of the decade.

Guest Closed Account 1

What about spacing out small magnets on the rail and on the belly of the car. Or electromagnetic? Wouldn't the slight levitation allow for a smooth ride?

What about magnets on the side for alignment and a mini motorcycle mechanism for the top?

I think we are all ignoring another large issue: track.

If you have a CNC handy that may not be an issue, but I do not see this profile available from Plastruct or its competitors.

As Keitaro mentioned, the two of us have been in discussion over the matter of powering the monorail.  But he started it.  It's not my fault!!!

I'm going to have a look at the Sydney monorail this coming week.  I'm pretty sure it has pick up rails on the top of the monorail.  They are almost flush with the monorail but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a well-shined surface on there.  I'll let you know.

The plan that Keitaro have is to try and make the system as similar to the standard rail as possible so that we can use decoders, motors, etc. that we are familiar with.  Jappomania's idea is good.  I'd still think rails are the best option for pick up but we'll see what unfolds.  One thing, I can assure you that prototypically, the top of the monorail will be well-worn so I'm not to worried about doing something to the top of it.

Cheers

The_Ghan

for years i have schemed about how to power a small people mover type mono rail. i thought that perhaps using the rubber roller as in the disney tram would work the best and just battery power it and use a mini rc car control to turn it on/off at will remotely. side wheels would also be needed to keep the cars square and not rubbing on the sides of the rail as well. power could be done on the top of the mono rail with two strips of copper and brush pickups on them, but this would take a bit of work to inlay the copper strips, especially on the curves...

one idea was to start with one of the btrain shorty cars as many of those are closer to the small people mover carriages. then creating curved track sections would be a challenge as well.

biggest rub is that even with a smaller carriage version you would need a pretty big city area to run something like this and make it look right. perhaps having it run "off scene" and be hidden for a while would allow it to work better in the scene.

im not thinking the tgauge track idea would work. the tgauge power units have a real problem with getting enough traction to pull much, this is why you need a power car every other car in a consist. the extra weight of the bigger cars might help, but i think balancing the much wider cars will be a real problem.

using side magnets would also be very very difficult to get things smooth and lined up well. it would be an awfully fiddly thing to set up. trying to do levitation would really be tough. i use to do some little craft gifts with magnets and you really had to be careful of your alignment in really simple designs, doing a train would be like doing hundreds of these!

btw there is a mag lev supercooled model out there!

cheers

jeff

• Thanks 1
Hobby Dreamer

Rob is correct to mention track.. If its a static model there may only be a small amount in the kit and no reason for them to make more..

Still, its nice to see new developments for N-scale!!