(Old) List of Japanese Model Train Online Retailers

Guest ___

jappomania

I have the Kato 8-car set of the E4.  I love it, but I think I read that it isn't prototypically correct, so I'm going to buy a Tomix one some time in the future

where you read this?  ??? if I find time this weekend I compare it, but sincely I don't remeber chassis difference between Kato and both Tomix (6+2 and 3+3-2 version)

Tomix 6 cars set have coupler on both ends but this is the only difference I remember...

@Densha

if you wanna know which are correct or not, ask me...

ciao

Massimo

@jappomania

Thank you for the offer, but it's much easier to know which ones aren't right beforehand when looking through internet shops and catalogs, because you know they aren't right that way. Asking about every single one is tedious for both you and me. If there's a single one I am interested in, then I'll get back to you.

jappomania

well,

just to start, (where I'm 100% sure)

Tomix 200 series (all sets, 225-400 has never been produced, also 248 car on H set etc..)

btw I'm not sure, but only G45 set for a little time ran without 225-400 in formation

Tomix 300 old set with grey arrow panto cover (only 11 cars correctly reproduced)

Tomix 100 old series X set (125-500 and 125-700 released the the first time inside 100 Sayonara set and subsequently on renewed X and G set)

Kato E1 (only 8 cars)

also, someone talk about wrong cars on Kato 500 first release, but I'm not sure (526 and 528 cars), I need time to verify, unfortunatelly not all cars quoted drawings has been published on JRM, Shinkansen drawing books aren't so accurate.

of course, talking about Zero and 200 series is more complex because the car formation isn't fixed like the rest of fleet (original formation of 100, 300, 500, etc.. retain the same cars until withdrawn)

some special cars and the 1000 subseries has never reproduced (well, just the old Endo brass model) so, with 2000 Kato and Tomix subseries you can reproduce a limited number of real train formation (Nh and Yk)

continue..

Martijn Meerts

The original Kato 500 (the 7 + 5 + 2 + 2 version) isn't prototypically correct, not sure what the problem is, but I've read it from multiple sources. Another problem with it, is that the 2 2-car add-ons are actually the same product, and you need to paste some stickers on 1 set to change the car numbers.. Not the best solution :)

Wow i really didnt know that!  ???  Guess i'm still green and far to go on this...

Anyway, i have another noob question... I'm trying to connect the E4 to the E3 like what we see in actual life (yes i've seen it in my own eyes and it really looked good!) However i stumbled upon this:

1) I love the E4 and the E3, but NOT the Tsubasa, rather the Komachi... Probably due to the colour..

2) Although technically wrong, can the Kato E4 (this set) connect to the Kato E3 Komachi?

3) Which brings me to the next question, can a TOMIX E4 connect to a KATO E3, and vice versa?

4) Can E4 connect to E2 Hayate?

Yes i know i sound crazy trying to mix-match them whereas in actual fact none of that happened... But i really like the MAX E4 for it being so special as a double-decker Shinkansen, and the KOMACHI E3 for mainly it's colour, more that the counterpart E3 Tsubasa...

Oh the dilema....    ???

*Yes The_Ghan, i'm also trying to stay on-track and not moving away too much... I've told myself NOT to ever get Freight trains and also NO trains to be more than 7 cars long... My personal curfew to curb pucking out that credit card....  :lipssealed:

Martijn Meerts

That's the problem with Japanese trains, there's just too many interesting ones  :grin

• Like 1
jappomania

Anyway, i have another noob question... I'm trying to connect the E4 to the E3 like what we see in actual life (yes i've seen it in my own eyes and it really looked good!) However i stumbled upon this:

1) I love the E4 and the E3, but NOT the Tsubasa, rather the Komachi... Probably due to the colour..

2) Although technically wrong, can the Kato E4 (this set) connect to the Kato E3 Komachi?

3) Which brings me to the next question, can a TOMIX E4 connect to a KATO E3, and vice versa?

Kato and Tomix coupling system on the nose of Shinkansen are different, so you can connect only Kato+Kato and Tomix+Tomix

after you can connect it like you prefer, correct and wrong formation

Kato E2-1000 Hayate + E3 Komachi

Kato E4 + E3 Tsubasa

Kato E4 + E4

Tomix E4 + 400 (Tsubasa old/new color in 7 cars formation)

Tomix E4 + E3 Tsubasa

Tomix E4 + E4

Tomix 200 K (8+10 car formation) + 400 (old/new color in 6-7 cars formation)

Tomix E2' Yamabiko + E3 Komachi

Tomix E2-100 Hayate + E3 Komachi

like Densha says, maybe a new topic is better.... sorry for OT

• Like 1

@Nozomi

If you don't want your trains too be longer than 7 cars coupling Shinkansen is impossible. Also many trains are 4 cars (or rather the sets they're sold in by manufacturers), so 8 cars would be a nice number. I understand that you can keep going longer every time this way, but it's just a brainwave. Also the E3 sets are only sold in the 6 or 7 prototype consists.

Maybe an addition to jappomania:

Real life combinations (derived from Wikipedia's "Multiple working" part):

E2 (white-purple) + 400 (green/silver) (out of service) (Tomix)

E3 (white-purple) + E5 (Kato)

Notes:

E2 --> I don't know which services and such

E3 original (white-purple) --> Akita Komachi

E3 1000/2000 (green-silver) --> Yamagata Tsubasa

Technically I think that all E3 series are interchangeable but that those aren't used in normal service.

Answers:

Not in real, but I'm quite sure connecting a them is possible in model if both are from the same manufacturer, because I assume that the coupler will be installed at the same height and is the same type.

Also, is it possible for an admin to transfer this conversation to a separate topic?

• Like 1

Apologises for making the admin work. Sorry for the OT!

Thanks to Densha and jappomania for all the infomation! really helps me to decide what to get! Cheers! 

I have the Kato 8-car set of the E4.  I love it, but I think I read that it isn't prototypically correct, so I'm going to buy a Tomix one some time in the future

where you read this?  ...

Massimo,

I honestly don't remember WHO or WHAT led me to believe that the Kato E4 is not prototypically correct.  I would certainly defer to your better judgement.  As you know from our previous PMs, I sometimes rely on you for important information about model accuracy and value, such as our discussions on the Tomix E1 and the MA Odakyu 3000 series.

So, I've just checked my Kato set.  I am satisfied that Kato has at least produced the corresponding cars.  Whether any particular car is not correct I cannot answer.  I also can't find anything on the net.  I therefore amend my position.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Hey Mudkip,

I don't know about Japamart.  I've been using Jauce for just on a year.  Excellent service however they put their fees up around May.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Mudkip Orange

I dove in and dropped some cash on a Micro Ace Keihan 8000 which is supposedly new-in-box. So we'll see how this whole thing rolls out.

Hi people!

Stumbled upon this while goggle-ling for new suppliers. Dont know if this was ever mentioned before but here goes:

http://www.otacute.com/

Seems like they do overseas shipping, and can even get back-orders! Although i've tried getting two back-order for the Tomytec car collection 10 and 12, but it was cancelled eventually as they replied and said that they could not get the stock, much to my expectations anyway.

*Side note to add though, they ONLY have Tomytec for N gauge, not even Kato nor Tomix. More for Tomytec collectors and Diorama builders perhaps?

Does anyone here have any experiences with this supplier? Would be nice to share and if it is good we might possibly add it to the list perhaps?

Cheers!  

Mudkip,

Did you use Japamart or Jauce?

Cheers

The_Ghan

I used Japamart and found them to be quite fast and responsive. It is a bit expensive as they take a flat $20.00 commission and you are paying for the shipping both within Japan as well as to the US. But then the price I paid was a bit lower than HS was charging when it was in stock there, so I don't think it's as huge a difference as it might otherwise be.

I know there are separate topics about amiami online shop, but just to have all in one place here is the link:

www.amiami.com

I dealt with them 3 times already and am very satisified.

I think it is also reasonable to list in this topic

global.rakuten.com/en/

where one can buy from a number of retailers.

Edited by Sinus

I think it is also reasonable to list in this topic

global.rakuten.com/en/

where one can buy from a number of retailers.

It's better to use the japanese version of rakuten here

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/

they list a lot more shops that don't appear in the international version with some very good price and more choices

your login credentials are the same as rakuten international site so no worry.

I just purchased some items there and everything was smooth (I use Tenso to deliver the goods to me)

The only thing is that you will become intimate with Google translate to use that site unless you read japanese

most of the site is https so it's a lot of copy and paste

Hello Mr Melandir,

Please be mindful that many of the shops listed on http://www.rakuten.co.jp/ do not service international customer.  Also, many do not have staff who can speak English or other foreign language.  Please check with the vendor before ordering, or use the global site.

Hello Mr Melandir,

Please be mindful that many of the shops listed on http://www.rakuten.co.jp/ do not service international customer.  Also, many do not have staff who can speak English or other foreign language.  Please check with the vendor before ordering, or use the global site.

Dear E6,

It's correct what you say, but if you use a forwarding service like Tenso you have a japanese address and most of the time shipping is free inside japan, EMS cost is the same done by Tenso or done by the shop, but I have found that the money you save cover the Tenso fee and other will stay in your pocket

I needed to use google translate extensively to complete the order but it worked well

I used this jop http://www.rakuten.co.jp/wagon-ichi/

parcel is currently on trip to Italy and I hope to get it before next weekend

another place to get good prices is http://www.amazon.co.jp/ it's possible to have the site in english

I already ordered there (sold by Amazon) always using Tenso forwarding service and everything was perfect

I know I took my amount of risk on testing new roads :) I'll let you know if that rakuten shop is reliable

I used this jop http://www.rakuten.co.jp/wagon-ichi/

parcel is currently on trip to Italy and I hope to get it before next weekend

Today I got the parcel from the shop (via Tenso), packing was good and survived a trip from Japan to Italy

I found inside everything I have ordered so this shop is reliable for me.

just my 0.02 cents

• Like 1