turntable walthers/tomix

keitaro

One of the reasons I decided not to do steam1 on my current layout was the lack of a good DCC N scale turntable.  I note that the product is still under development as the DCC control wasn't living up to suppliers expectations.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Please note that I have nothing against steam.  It's just that I'm doing N scale Japanese focusing on rolling stock that operated from 1980 until now.  When I get tired of this one day I'll probably go back to British Steam.

fair enough yeah i know still in design

I have a list of locos 8 to be precise i whish to acquire some not modelled yet.

I want to have a limestone quary and a coal mine on my next layout so i will have several lines running up the mountain to these and the prospect of switching out some different steamers would be great. as well as some dd51's and de10.

Martijn Meerts

The Tomix one is pretty noisy, but that's not really a problem, because if you convert it to DCC you'll have to replace the entire motor anyway, if you want decent control over where the bridge stops.

There are DCC turntable conversion kits for the Fleischmann turntable (they've been available for a while) which work well, but the combination of turntable and conversion kit is more expensive than the Walthers turntable. On top of that, the Fleischmann turntable is very German of course :)

fair enough yeah i know still in design

I have a list of locos 8 to be precise i whish to acquire some not modelled yet.

I want to have a limestone quary and a coal mine on my next layout so i will have several lines running up the mountain to these and the prospect of switching out some different steamers would be great. as well as some dd51's and de10.

Hey Keitaro,

I think I mentioned my tin mine plans to you some time ago.  The quarry is a good idea.  Works really well with steam too, and is very prototypical for Japan.  My tin mine is going to be Nn3 scale and set into the side of a hill at the end of my layout.  The idea being that you will be able to see it in section, ant-farm style, from the end. It's a scratch-build project for the future.

Edit: I meant to include this link on Nn3: http://www.nn3.ca/

Cheers

The_Ghan

hey mate.

I have a similar idea for the mine. was going to make a wood tunel then get wall filler mixed with liquid nail, sand and brown paint.

Then line it inside then once starting to dry put in pre cut wood poles for support beams.

Once dry charcoal the walls to look like coal in there.

Then I was going to lay z scale track and just have some stationary cars not exactly the ones below but something suitable.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10122239

checked out the link anything in particular you were going to get

Hey Keitaro,

No, I've not seen anything in particular that I'm going to buy for the tin mine project yet.  I checked your link.  It seems to be for Z scale wagons.  I'm going for Nn3, which is N scale on Z track.  I think Z scale wagons would look out of place on an N scale layout.

I haven't checked, but are there or were there any coal mines in Japan?  I know there were tin mines and I think one or two of them are still in operation.

Cheers

The_Ghan

inside the mine is usually a different scale anyway compared to outside due to mine tunnel being small right?

thats what i was thinking anyway. unless of course you were to do an open pit.

to put a nscale sized model in the mone makes in quite a large mine  :grin

a mine for crickets and not ants perhaps hehe

Keitaro,

You might be missing my point.  Nn3 is N scale on Z scale track.  The layout is N scale.  Even in the mine.  If the wagons in the mine are only 12' long then I will scratch build 12' N scale wagons to run on Z scale track.  I wouldn't substitute it with a Z scale wagon that scales almost right because chances are that the height and width won't be right.  Certainly, the detailing won't be the right scale.  For these reasons you can't go and buy Z scale wagons that look about right.

Cheers

The_Ghan