Tokyo-Rail--Japanese Model Train Shop

bill937ca

I seem to have found another Japanese model train dealer with English order processing. This web site also has order processing in French as well as Japanese.

http://tokyo-rail.com/index.php?main_page=index

I haven't really checked prices, but the stock seems to be very good.

Also note that like Hobby Search, Hobby World Japan, Plaza Japan and Rainbow Ten this shop is also closed soon.

information of closure.

This shop is closed from December 30, 2008 to January 5, 2009.

But, we accept your order for 24 hours.

I do dispatch of a item,and an answer of a question on after January 6, 2009.

IDK, they have a flag for Japan, the UK and France, but nothing for the Aussies, Americans or Canucks. I'm not sure if I can read any of those flags  :P

Joking aside their prices look to be between HobbySearch's and PlazaJapan's. I can't seem find to find shipping costs.

alpineaustralia

For fear of always seeming to be asking people to bitch about service providers...whats wrong with SAL. I have always found them to provide fairly quick turn around from Japan to Oz.

During the last year or so, delivery times with SAL have effectively doubled as airlines cut back on schedules.  What used to take 2 weeks, regularly takes 4 weeks or more.  SAL only gets left over cargo space.  Some dealers have noted parcel loses are greater with SAL especially at peak seasons.

CaptOblivious

And I haven't had a problem with SAL. I've had delivery times of 4-5 weeks in some cases, but nothing I wasn't expecting (many places claim 4-6 weeks). I've also had delivery times of 1 week, which was a pleasant surprise. Other than that, no missing packages or damage or anything.

That said, I only really ever use SAL for small orders; the kind where EMS would cost more than the items themselves.

I too have had no bad luck with SAL. maybe 75 packages over the last 5 yrs and nothing lost. Average maybe 2 weeks, longest almost 4 weeks. some in 4-5 days!

I have found that the fastest (and cheapest) things to come SAL are small things like engines and trams. these are the ones that have literally only been like 450 yen to ship and have showed up in a week or less at times.

I think this is due to the fact SAL is just shipping when there is room on a plane, so can under stand that there is always room for small stuff!

Also wonder that the SAL problems could be on the US side, not japanese side and the local routing office or local office may be blamed for slow performance or things going poof!

cheers,

jeff

SAL shipments are subject to quarantine (PPQ) before being permitted to enter USPS parcel post (4P) mail stream  by USPS. USPS handles all the customs paper work. All 4P mail is sent to LFM for sorting and routing with the rest of the forth class, parcel post or media mail streams for distribution.

EMS on the other hand, hits the mail stream as Express Mail, 1st Class, Express (1E) USPS is not permitted to quarantine or delay 1st class mail per federal regulation. And for whatever reason as per USPS operation procedures will not delay anything bound with a 1E designator except for when it goes through the "sniffing and chemical scanning equipment". Once EMS clears customs, it is sent to DPS and then sacked with thee rest of the 1E and 1P (1st class, Priority) stuff for fine sorting and routing.

Don't make me admit publicly as to how I know all this. Part of my past I'd best I do not really want to dwell on. Shame, I hadn't thoguht to access the handbook when I was waiting for my SAL shipment back this past fall.

I agree with alpineaustralia.

The prices are even more expensive than the suggested price from Kato Japan.

I am bookmarking this as a place for last resort  ;D

Thanks for checking bill937ca!