Texas high speed rail

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

Texas is way behind other states, but hey, it's money from the federal govt, so spend it right?:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/07/14/3222864/texas-proceeds-with-plans-for.html

hmm, $15 million for preliminary studies on the north Texas to Houston line.  Probably enough for a 20 page report that can be cobbled together in a couple of months by a team of three "consultants".

Mudkip Orange

Agreed, just blow the dust off the studies from 20 years ago. 290 is still the best route out of Houston, and the originally-proposed route between Austin and San Antonio is now a very fast toll road with a very wide median.

post-161-13569928487396_thumb.jpg

bikkuri bahn

Ah, now I see where the "T-bone" (or wishbone?) comes from.  On paper, looks like a very viable system, with major population centers anchoring all ends.  Perhaps one of the top five markets (in terms of potential) for a HSR system?

bikkuri bahn
Then westward to Arizona.

Whoa skipper!  That's a Texas sized (and more) distance to Phoenix.  Would be happy with just 110 mph service.

Mudkip Orange

Ah, now I see where the "T-bone" (or wishbone?) comes from.

That's the '94 plan. The current planning deletes the eastward veer between Austin and Waco and moves the junction to Temple, which is how you get the "T."

I'm more partial to the old plan because I think the additional mileage and stop in Temple makes the Houston-San Antonio route uncompetetive. Downtown HOU to Downtown SAT via IH-10 is only 2:40 at a 75mph average.

The best route I've seen thus far is the "mini triangle" proposed by Houston blogger Andrew Burleson:

http://www.neohouston.com/2009/09/texas-high-speed-rail-the-routes/

There is some decent criticism of the "T-bone" in the comments section there.

That said, I'd throw my full support behind any of these alignments if I thought they had a snowball's chance in hell of getting fully funded.

post-161-13569928506388_thumb.jpg