Skynet(Aoshima) parking structure - is aoshima junk

FFISKIV

I'm considering the Skynet(Aoshima) parking structure to go next to my Tokyo Tower.  I've never purchased any Aoshima products and was wondering what the quality was like.  I've been disappointed when I've strayed from Kato and a few of the Tomix buildings.

What do you think?

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10144582

post-334-13569928441588_thumb.jpg

Nice to see they've got a (small) non-prototype pic of that up now. I've got their dual apartment buildings set and it's pretty nice, but I haven't built it yet.

Yeah. Built it. This is a "Painted Assembly Kit" - not a pre-built like most of the Kato/Tomix offerings. The pieces for my kit are roughly painted on the sprues. Could could assemble it as-is, but it definitely could use some detailing.

The Aoshima Apartments are definitely top quality.  Lot's and lots of parts and sprue's to assemble and manage, but the materials are pretty excellent.  I kit-bashed two boxes (4 buildings) to create a taller structure and the materials were nice to work with and the casting was good.  http://quinntopia.blogspot.com/2010/03/aoshima-apartments-20-stories-of-fine.html

MUCH better quality than the Tramway "Starhouse" and probably a little bit better than some of the Greenmax kits.  Of course, not sure what the parking garage will look like, but based on their apartment building model your pretty safe.

• Like 1

The standard version of the KATO and TOMIX building is somewhat dissapointing cause you have to change a few bits and pieces to get away from looking to American (as quoted from one of the AJMRG members who goes to Japan) while the Tomytec Diorama collection building looks good as you just need to put them together and add people to the buildings and it's pretty much done for you.

I have also ordered the Skynet (Aoshima) mulit-story parking structure. I haven't brought any of their modeling products, but I have had issues with their 1/100 mecha kits in which I wasn't happy with. So I am hoping that their building structure kits is better.

I have the aoshima apartment building as well. i have fit together most of one to see about doing what quinntopia has done for a 2x high one. i think they are quality kits, they fit together well and have a decent amount of detail. the railings are a tad pudgie, but downside of doing really fine handrails, stiles, and stanchions is they break even when you are trying to get them off the sprews! over all it looks nice and is very japanese. also it has some internal room walls so lighting it is a lot easier to make individual rooms look lit instead of the whole building or a floor glowing.

from the looks of the pict of the parking lot it should be a nice model as well.

green max kits are nice, they just take a bit of work to get them colored and weathered.

cheers

jeff

i forgot to say, Quinntopia, outstanding job of the high rise apartment building!

jeff

Thanks Jeff!  I did forget one thing about the Apartment kit that you reminded me of...YES...the apartment railing bits are very brittle and a lot of care must be taken when clipping them off the sprues!  Thanks for reminding me of that Jeff.  OTOH, doesn't seem to be any fine detail like that on the parking garage (going on my memory of it anyway).

Parking structure arrived today.  For those of you considering it I say get it while you can.

It's much larger, the quality, quantity and level of detail is much higher than expected.

Instructions are detailed and in English.

I highly recommend this one.

The only DOWNSIDE is there are over 100 H2O decals to slide into place.

Will post picks asap.

ooohhh now im going to be doing the gary larson lurking behind the tree waiting for the post man till this comes! probably another week though for sal...

aoshima is a good sized model company, hopefully they will keep this in stock!

has anyone gotten one of the little Sankei parking structures?

thanks for the preview!

jeff

I've got mine and now trying to work out where it will go into my layout! But also need to get the 180+ cars to fill it lol

Also I too recommend this kit, as I am very impressed with this kit not just by detail but everything (decels, building structure and the instructions) looks great and looking forward to have it in the layout and most likely be a talking point when it will be seen at an exhibition..

This is for all you waiting for your order.  I hope it makes you itch.

The left side is unglued for acess to the elevator shaft for future lighting and moving autos in and out.  It snaps in place well enough it wont fall off.

Kato autos make good sacrifice for glueing.

I skipped the majority of interior decals, as soon as you see what youre missing you'll understand why.

post-334-13569928603819_thumb.jpg

post-334-13569928605121_thumb.jpg

post-334-13569928606438_thumb.jpg

post-334-13569928607688_thumb.jpg

post-334-13569928608944_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

FFISKIV,

hey looks great! how hard is it to pull floors off to work on cars for them? i guess if you leave the two ends to pop off you can get to most of the parking spaces easily enough.

also where did you get the V billboard in the pictures? really nice, did you scratch build it? curious minds want to know!

cheers

jeff

Thanks. I glued the 3 sides and left the elevator side loose. It snaps in real well and is easy to remove. The little "car rake" works well as long as the side is off. Trying to get vehicles thru the completed side is almost impossible.

I got the sign at wigwag here in ABQ. I don't remember the manufacturer but if you can't find it on their site let me know as any excuse to go to wigwag will do. This is another highly recommended item, the detail is fantastic, walkways are complete thruout the interior/exterior and it comes with several advertisements. I will take picks if you like.

thanks now i remember it. its the BLMA one. nice.

would be fun to scratch build!

looking forward to getting the parking structure and having fun with it!

cheers

jeff

Hobby Dreamer

FFISKIV,

Thanks for taking the time to post the parking structure info..

BTW, your layout is frigging awesome!!!

How large is your layout and how many Unitram kits did you use to make it?

Cheers

Rick

Thank you Rick, its 4 kits and a couple addons. I think there's more detailed description in my gallery. The whole things about 4 .5 square meters. Sorry I'm not a very good historian and this layout is about my 5th in the past year.

That is a lot of pieces. I love all the trees and buildlings on the viaduct blocking the Shinkansen...  :grin

Regardless, your pics do make me one want hahaha.

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks FFISKIV ,

I'm new to this hobby but could not have imaged such a cool layout 5 years ago; with the super rare exception of master modellers.

Rick

BTW judging from the pics, it appears this thing can be made even taller by combining kits, in theory? Looks like the rooftop roadway piece is the same as all the other pieces? Seems to be a ramp that goes to nowhere..

in theory it could.  the ramps actually do go somewhere (up&down) and there are enough pieces that with some creative cutting another 5 levels added, why not but are there many or any 10 story parking structures out there? I dont know.

WOW $45 +37 to ship to the US :sad:

you can ship sal for ore like $25. thats the problem with the big buildings like this they get heavy fast. just two weeks of waiting...

cheers

jeff