animated construction scene on ebay

this was an interesting find on ebay. someone up in ontario has made a little construction site with a Studio Mid construction crane and tomytec building under construction and then put a small motor to rotate the crane. starting bid at $80. they spent $30 on the kits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170667568996&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_545wt_998

the motor is a bit fast for this use. a slow ornament rotator would be much nicer. im going to have to put one of these cranes together and try the ornament motor to see how it looks!

i have the tomytec building under construction opened up on the desk here, was just going to put it together this week to see how it looked. i want to start scratch building a larger one of these so im using the studio mid and tomytec kits as guides to what i can get away with using stock styrene...

cheers

jeff

Not bad - nice job motorizing it. Manually controlled is a bit of a bummer, and it's a rather sparse scene.

If he actually sells it for a good price, though, I may have found a new sideline to get into :)

i have often thought of doing some interesting, value added structures/mini scenes for sale like this in retirement. figure a day a week might bring in enough money to keep my hobby costs covered w/o dipping into other funds! also keep you learning more techniques and getting better at them!

ill see if i can get a test with the ornament rotor to see how it works. i wanted to play with the crane to see if its possible to get the truss cut through. it was a big bummer on this model that they did not make the truss open. its only moulded as a surface detail so you have to try painting black in the gaps and your crane color on the raised truss pieces.

cheers

jeff