Tomix Wide Track and Mini Rail Layout Designs

Concept Model Trains

Concept Model Trains

During this year I have spent a lot time designing model train layouts using the AnyRail program.  The main aim of my efforts is to create a new tram layout.  Most of my time has been focused on creating designs with Tomix Wide Track and Tomix Mini Rail. 

I have selected eight designs which are final candidates for my new tram layout. Over the last few months I have used each layout for a few weeks to get a better idea of the performance of each one.  It would really help me to get some feedback from JNS members on the various merits of each design before I make a final decision.

Layout 1 (60” x 20”) – This design allows for 3 trams to operate at once. The lines are unconnected but they all have a passing loop or turnouts. It uses Tomix Wide Tram Track and Tomix Mini Rail track for the turnouts. I have indicated where I have used the Mini Rail Track on the diagram by using darker colours. This layout is a lot of fun to run my Tomytec Portram’s and Centram’s. Unfortunately it reminds me of a slot car track.

Layout_1_tram_60_20_d.jpg

Layout 2 (60” x 20”) – This is a very interesting layout using Tomix Mini Rail Track. It only uses C140 curves and has a unique wye arrangement which is similar to the Toden Arakawa Line Depot. The depot is only accessible via the 90 degree crossing. It creates a nice point-to-point approach to the oval layout. The various turnout combinations add to the variations that are possible on this layout. I like to think of this layout as the "obstacle course for trams" or the "tram test track". This layout is ideal for my Modemo tram collection.

Layout_2_tram-line_7e.jpg

Layout 3 (60" x 15") - I have found this layout to be very entertaining and easy to modify. It uses a combination the C140 and C177 curves and can use either Tomix Wide Tram Track or Tomix Mini Rail Track. This layout was ideally suited to my Bachmann Peter Witt trolleys which I ran using DCC.

Layout_3_tram-line_8.jpg

Layout 4 (60" x 15") – This is a variation on the previous layout.

Layout_4_tram-line_9.jpg

Layout 5 (60” x 20”) - The fifth layout uses Tomix Wide Tram Track although it also works with Tomix Mini Rail Track. I call this layout a "folded dog bone". It uses both C140 and C177 curves. Ideal for a contrast from the other layouts I have designed. It has some interesting curves and possibilities for adding variations to the design. This layout is really suited my German tram collection which consists of two Kato Düwag models and a pair of Hödl Erfurt Combino trams.

Layout_5_tram-line_9d_5.jpg

Layout 6 (60” x 20”) – This design is for the Tomix Wide Tram Track and Tomytec Bus System. The options for the Tomytec Bus System are limited until Tomix releases more track. At this stage it is only possible to create two small loops by purchasing a pair of the basic set. The blue track is Tomix Wide Tram Track, red track is the C103 Tomytec Bus track and the yellow track is the C140 Bus track. The combination of the three tracks provides an interesting combination that takes advantage of the curves available.  This layout really suits the Kato Centram trams.

Layout_6_tram-line_bus_1.jpg

Layout 7 (60” x 30”) – The layout uses Tomix Mini Rail Track C140 and C177 curves. It has a depot and a passing loop. There are plenty of curves to keep the layout interesting. This layout is well suited to Modemo trams.

Layout_7_tram-line_3.jpg

Layout 8 (60” x 30”) – This design uses the Tomix Wide Tram Track and features three ovals of track C103, C140 and C177. The outer light blue track has a similar shape to layout 7.  This layout design is ideal for running three trams at once. It can also be modified by the addition of turnouts.  The C103 track is only suitable for the Tomytec trams.

Layout_8_tram-line_5_edit_c.jpg

• Like 6

Dito. No.2 is the best design. It has lots of operation possibilities, plus a double loop line. The left part of the layout could be a dense urban environment and the right part a rural one with less traffic. I'd reserve a bit more room between the depot and passing station for a scenic divider in the form of a street with narrow houses or even a level difference (depot lower than the station). So that they don't interfere with each others thematics. You could even add a small spur for an excuse to run a small freight service.

Martijn Meerts

2nd one is also quite interesting to convert to a DCC/computer controlled layout.

Concept Model Trains

The feedback so far has all been for the 2nd layout which is not surprising.  It's the most unique layout out of the bunch.  Toni quite rightly commented on the possibilities for the layout which would make it an interesting project.  His ideas were really good.  I must agree with Martijn that there is options for DCC and computer control as well. 

Hobby Dreamer

Great job!

Both #2 and #7 look interesting... I've never built a layout so still think about these as dioramas with track instead of track plans with structures...

I don't know the logistical problems or other reasons but I'd be tempted to offset the layout so track does not always conform to the sides of the table..

The nice thing about trams is that you can also add a point to point on a viaduct etc..

Rick

#2 is probably the best, although I think it loses something by not having the right end usable as an independent circuit so you could run two trams.

But I also like #8, particularly since you could replace one of the ovals with a bus line.

brill27mcb

These are great plans that show some of the flexibility of the Tomix track. Two things come to my attention.

1. The immediate left/right (and right/left) curve transitions could be a problem if you decide to run a 2-tram train. A short straight piece between lefts and rights helps to keep the couplers from pulling sideways on each other as the car ends swing out in opposite directions from each other at the curve transitions.

2. U.S. practice is usually to have a yard lead track be straight, with a "ladder" of points/turnouts (all right-hand or all left-hand) coming off one after the other in the same direction. The right/left zig-zagging in many of your plans makes for a twisty entry and exit into some yard tracks. That said, I have seen the zig-zag approach used repeatedly in Japanese model track arrangements. Sometimes just one added zig or zag can make one track look like a later after-thought added to an existing yard to increase capacity or add operational flexibility. I would try to limit them though, for better operation.

To get around the "slot track" look, you could try to use some trackage at 30 or 60 degrees, instead of all curves being 90 degree "corners."

Rich K.

I'll go along with everyone and vote for No.2. I don't know about No.1, three track mainlines aren't very common on tramways, they don't need extra tracks to increase capacity because trams run close together on line of site like automobiles. This is where I think DCC would come into it's on with tram operations, I can imagine 4 or 5 operators with their trams banked up one behind the other at an intersection waiting for the traffic lights to change.

Concept Model Trains

It seems as though the DCC potential of #2 is getting all the votes although it's nice to see some people provide positive comments on #7 and #8. 

Rich has made some really helpful comments on the depot ladder.  The "S" curves were a problem when I tested the track for #2.  I will revise the plan and use all lefts for the depot.  This will like my previous layout http://www.conceptmodeltrains.com.au/japanese_tram_model_railway_layout.htm

I will also examine layout #1 and see if I can come up with a modification to minimise the "slot car" effect in the curves. It might be wise to reduce this to a two track design rather than a three. 

Martijn Meerts

Most of them will see interesting running when using computer control, but the 2nd one is interesting because it just allows for so many different routes. It's also interesting because it's quite a challenge automating in a decent way .. You can easily have 8-10 trams on layout #2, depending on how big (or rather, how small) you make the blocks.

During this year I have spent a lot time designing model train layouts using the AnyRail program.  The main aim of my efforts is to create a new tram layout.  Most of my time has been focused on creating designs with Tomix Wide Track and Tomix Mini Rail.  I have selected eight designs which are final candidates for my new tram layout. Over the last few months I have used each layout for a few weeks to get a better idea of the performance of each one.  It would really help me to get some feedback from JNS members on the various merits of each design before I make a final decision. Layout 1 (60” x 20”) – This design allows for 3 trams to operate at once. The lines are unconnected but they all have a passing loop or turnouts. It uses Tomix Wide Tram Track and Tomix Mini Rail track for the turnouts. I have indicated where I have used the Mini Rail Track on the diagram by using darker colours. This layout is a lot of fun to run my Tomytec Portram’s and Centram’s. Unfortunately it reminds me of a slot car track.Layout_1_tram_60_20_d.jpgLayout 2 (60” x 20”) – This is a very interesting layout using Tomix Mini Rail Track. It only uses C140 curves and has a unique wye arrangement which is similar to the Toden Arakawa Line Depot. The depot is only accessible via the 90 degree crossing. It creates a nice point-to-point approach to the oval layout. The various turnout combinations add to the variations that are possible on this layout. I like to think of this layout as the "obstacle course for trams" or the "tram test track". This layout is ideal for my Modemo tram collection.Layout_2_tram-line_7e.jpgLayout 3 (60" x 15") - I have found this layout to be very entertaining and easy to modify. It uses a combination the C140 and C177 curves and can use either Tomix Wide Tram Track or Tomix Mini Rail Track. This layout was ideally suited to my Bachmann Peter Witt trolleys which I ran using DCC.Layout_3_tram-line_8.jpgLayout 4 (60" x 15") – This is a variation on the previous layout. Layout_4_tram-line_9.jpgLayout 5 (60” x 20”) - The fifth layout uses Tomix Wide Tram Track although it also works with Tomix Mini Rail Track. I call this layout a "folded dog bone". It uses both C140 and C177 curves. Ideal for a contrast from the other layouts I have designed. It has some interesting curves and possibilities for adding variations to the design. This layout is really suited my German tram collection which consists of two Kato Düwag models and a pair of Hödl Erfurt Combino trams.Layout_5_tram-line_9d_5.jpgLayout 6 (60” x 20”) – This design is for the Tomix Wide Tram Track and Tomytec Bus System. The options for the Tomytec Bus System are limited until Tomix releases more track. At this stage it is only possible to create two small loops by purchasing a pair of the basic set. The blue track is Tomix Wide Tram Track, red track is the C103 Tomytec Bus track and the yellow track is the C140 Bus track. The combination of the three tracks provides an interesting combination that takes advantage of the curves available.  This layout really suits the Kato Centram trams.Layout_6_tram-line_bus_1.jpgLayout 7 (60” x 30”) – The layout uses Tomix Mini Rail Track C140 and C177 curves. It has a depot and a passing loop. There are plenty of curves to keep the layout interesting. This layout is well suited to Modemo trams.Layout_7_tram-line_3.jpgLayout 8 (60” x 30”) – This design uses the Tomix Wide Tram Track and features three ovals of track C103, C140 and C177. The outer light blue track has a similar shape to layout 7.  This layout design is ideal for running three trams at once. It can also be modified by the addition of turnouts.  The C103 track is only suitable for the Tomytec trams. Layout_8_tram-line_5_edit_c.jpg

I really like no 8,mainly because it means three trams can be run at the same time,so much so i m going to copy it!! I do nt supose you have a list of the track required to build it?

Number 8 would also make a nice Moving Bus System layout, with 2-way streets, two "T' intersections and no chance of collisions.

Rich K.

Concept Model Trains

I'm glad you found the layout design a source for inspiation Pauljag900.

Track Listing for Layout 8

1790, N Tomix Wide Tram Track 1790(S70-WT). Straight 70mm.    10

1791, N Tomix Wide Tram Track 1791(S140-WT). Straight 140mm.    38

1795A, N Tomix Wide Tram Track 1795A(C103-30-WT). Curve radius 103mm, angle 30º    4

1795B, N Tomix Wide Tram Track 1795B(C103-60-WT). Curve radius 103mm, angle 60º    4

1796A, N Tomix Wide Tram Track 1796A(C140-30-WT). Curve radius 140mm, angle 30º    10

1796B, N Tomix Wide Tram Track 1796B(C140-60-WT). Curve radius 140mm, angle 60º    10

1797A, N Tomix Wide Tram Track 1797A(C177-30-WT). Curve radius 177mm, angle 30º    4

1797B, N Tomix Wide Tram Track 1797B(C177-60-WT). Curve radius 177mm, angle 60º    4

1798B, N Tomix Wide Tram Track 1798B(S37-WT). Straight 37mm.    2

AnyRail file if you want to try any modifications.

tram-line_5_edit_c.zip

Edited by Concept Model Trains

Many thanks for doing that for me,much appreciated,i ve just ordered some of the track and a basic kato tram this morning!!

That's really nice track work! It's nice to see the plans in place and in different colours, very beautiful and easy to visualise, and order the parts necessary when you've decided upon the right layout to adopt. I would vote for layout 8 too, very nice, lotsa place in between to stuck in buildings, and like Rich K. has mentioned it can even accommodate a moving bus layout ¬¬