Tram Operation 101

bill937ca

Two cardinal rules of tram operation.  One, when you open a manual switch on the mainline you go back and close the switch.  Two, on approaching a facing switch always check its setting and as an extension trams should not pass on facing switches.

This didn't happen in Lisbon on May 6th and 582 suddenly turned into 504. As far as I know this stretch of street is "bus" only (bus in Lisbon seems to include trams and fits on the pavement and traffic lights better).

http://santoamaro110.blogspot.com/2011/05/cronica-de-um-acidente-entre-electricos.html

(The blog page should offer you a translation option at the top.)

So who's at fault?

1. The operator of the tram that turned into Corpo Santo and didn't reset the mainline.

2. The operator of 582 who should have seen the switch wasn't set right and for entering a facing switch when another tram was crossing it.

3. The operator of 504 would have been wiser to wait for 582 to proceed and then cross the switch. Not totally his/her fault, but still his/her vehicle is going to be turned in damaged.

Guest Closed Account 1

Whomever was moving.

I really blame the city. They should have made sure that two Trolleys can pass without touching.

Whomever was moving.

I really blame the city. They should have made sure that two Trolleys can pass without touching.

You don't get it.  The one tram intending to go straight through suddenly made a left turn because the switch was not re=set. Those operators are very lucky they didn't seriously injure or kill passengers.

Guest Closed Account 1

You're right I didn't see enough track to make a good decision.

See this happen all the time at train shows.

marknewton
I really blame the city.

You can't blame the city, Carris is a private operator.

Cheers,

Mark.