Small industrial layout

David

I started a topic over on the other forum for advice on designing a small industrial layout (~30" x 15"). I got a good suggestion involving a diagonal backdrop, the rest where the standard responses posted to every small layout thread (mikes plans, small layout scrapbook, the navy layout).

I'm not entirely concerned about the prototype, it could be Japanese but then it would hard to run all those Atlas beer can cars. The switching doesn't have to be all the great either, my enjoyment will mostly be making it and then running trains around. It would be nice if I could take advantage of the DCC portion by making it possible for a road switcher (MP15DC or DE10) to run continuously while the 44 tonner does work. The 2nd mockup I made last night has this. Something else not mentioned originally is that it would be nice to have bends (see the far side of the 2nd mockup where I've used 15 degree pieces to create small s-curves). One thing that doesn't work is R140 s-curves. Coupling/Uncoupling also needs a broader curve, at least R280 it seems.

Since it's building that I'm concerned with the layout really needs to be designed around the Greenmax buildings. The factory is one. The factory B equipment is also a possiblity as are the 2 Greenmax train sheds.

Any ideas from over here? I want to make an order soon (Greenmax buildings, some TomyTec factory workers, any minor track needed)

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=132683

I normally model Japanese prototypes (my focus is commuter trains, but I don't yet have the space for a planned layout) but I now have a side project that is American prototype in nature.

Last year I created my first layout, a very small Japanese steam layout of 30" x 19" to fit with the storage space I have. This was created with Tomix Finetrack and I was able to get some hands on experience with scenery and learn some dos and do nots.

For this summer I'd like to build another layout (it will need to be even smaller!) and I want to base it around the Bachmann 44 tonner and some of the Atlas rolling stock I have lying around.

My main learning goals will be some more advanced 'benchwork' and electrical (layout will be DCC, with a plug to connect to a Digitrax Zephyr), to weather and ballast sectional track and to build some proper kit structures. With the ballasting I want to actually raise the rest of the layout level closer to the rail height (both for a more industrial track look, and as a preparation for Kato track). For structures I specifically want to build some Greenmax kits – I have my eye on the No. 37 Plant Factory in particular.

Overall dimensions of the layout would be 30" wide, and somewhere between 12" and 16" deep. For space narrow is better, but I think it will be closer to 15" to realistically put anything in. The minimum radius is 140mm (5 ½") which all my rolling stock handles. The layout would represent track owned by a single industry with perhaps a small piece of track representing where it joins to the railroad.

The rolling stock includes a 44 ton switcher, a CP MP15DC road switcher, and an assortment of 'beer can' shorty tank cars. I also have some 40' CP 'Pacman' boxcars of various types and 11 CP 70 ton ore cars. I'm not big on the boxcars much, but it would be interesting a few ore cars could be used. I am not concerned about matching a prototype or having prototype operation. It's for fun and I'd more enjoy letting a train go round and round then fill out little cards.

Some track features I do want to include:

Continuous running is a must. It can either be visible, or through a hidden passage to hide the loop.

Some light switching, hopefully with an excuse for the CP switcher to come by and drop off/pickup cars.

I want to use up most of the spare Tomix track I have left over without spending a lot of money on new track. In particular I already have 5 Tomix switches.

2x Tomix 1231 PR140-30 (right 30 degree switch, 140mm curve radius, 70mm straight)

1x Tomix 1273 PR280-30 (right 30 degree switch, 280mm curve radius, 140mm straight)

1x Tomix 1274 PL280-30 (left 30 degree switch, 280mm curve radius, 140mm straight)

1x Tomix 1241 PR541-15 (right 15 degree switch, 541mm curve radius, 140mm straight)

I've used AnyRail (the demo versions supports up to 50 sectional pieces) to push around some ideas, one of them is attached.

Does anyone have an ideas on how I should such a layout? Things to do, not to do?

post-219-13569928320871_thumb.jpg

post-219-13569928321103_thumb.jpg

post-219-13569928321501_thumb.jpg

post-219-13569928321812_thumb.jpg

Copy_of_Industrial_2.7.zip

post-219-13569928322248_thumb.jpg

post-219-1356992832265_thumb.jpg

post-219-13569928323052_thumb.jpg

Morian Miner

Have you actually tried running your freight trains on the tight curves you are planning? I would be worried about constant derailments of the freight cars if you are doing continuous running. Having done similar things in HO scale, I would consider just building this as a switching terminal that can then be incorporated later in a larger layout.  If do you go down that road, make sure the cars are heavy enough - that seems to help them in taking tight radii better.

Also, if its the building you are most interested in - I would consider buying the building first, putting the major pieces together, then play around positioning the cars, buildings, piping, etc.  You might suddenly find a trackplan that falls out of what you have.