Next Trip

so it's official I will be going back to japan for 2 weeks to maybe 3 months havn't decided on length yet.

I have 5 and a half weeks holidays owing to me right now and probably by then 9 weeks by next august when i am going.

Since my wife is due on 25th dec for our next baby. I'm not sure if i will use extra leave as i get 2 weeks paid for free by work then can use AL.

Plan so far is to catch Shinkansen with my son will be 3yrs old then. From shin osaka to Tokyo and then the E5 all the way up.

Then we will go some various other lines from their. (un-planned)

Hoping to give my 70 - 200 2.8fL canon a heavy work out :D and my soon to be new wide angle lens for those nice scenic shots  :grin

Taking suggetstions for Shin-Aomori area. doesn't have to be directly from here but travel able via train. connections.

I already have some plans which i will post later but wanted to know peoples suggestions.

bikkuri bahn

Make your way to Hirosaki.  Nice station with through traffic, better for photography.  Also the Konan Railway.  In August the sweet corn harvested from the slopes of Mt. Iwaki will be in season, very tasty.  Aomori apple juice.  Down the line (Ou main line) to Goshogawara, to see/ride the Tsugaru Rlwy, though the kiha 22's have been retired (may not matter to you).

hi Bikkuri,

Thanks for you reply i have been looking at the Ou main line but it seems it is shared by multiple lines and even at onwe point by the shinkansen line?

also goshogawara doesn't seem to exist?

Do you have links to services on this line showing rolling stock etc?

Thanks

bikkuri bahn

The Ou Line is a meandering route that starts in Aomori, goes through the mountains to Akita, and then continues south while cutting into the mid section of Tohoku on its way to Shinjo and Yamagata.  A portion of it between Akita and Omagari is the route of the Akita shinkansen.

Goshogawara is on the Gono Line (another route you may be interested in, other forumers may have more info as this area is not my forte).  For starters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goshogawara_Station

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsugaru_Railway_Line

*change at Kawabe on the Ou Line for Gono Line trains.

If you have some free time in Tokyo, I'll be glad to show you around. I could scout out places to take your photos. You may be dismayed or appalled by how amateurish my shooting techniques are. Sorry.

I'm also not well versed on the train shops, but know other hobby shops quite well.

Best wishes,

Grant