Other hobbies...

alpineaustralia
You think rightly. It was taken in Nakamise Arcade, just north of Kaminarimon and south of Sensoji in Asakusa.

This was right next door to where we stayed in Tokyo for a week. Excellent location for anyone who doesnt know where to look to stay in Tokyo.

CaptOblivious
You think rightly. It was taken in Nakamise Arcade, just north of Kaminarimon and south of Sensoji in Asakusa.

This was right next door to where we stayed in Tokyo for a week. Excellent location for anyone who doesnt know where to look to stay in Tokyo.

I stayed a night at the Sakura Hostel in Asakusa, with a gorgeous view of the Pagoda just up from this arcade. Tiny tiny rooms, but the cleanest, bestest hostel I've ever been in. There were a bunch of hotels on the same block, too.

I did too stay in this neighboorhood when I was in Tokyo in Mars. In fact I didn't really stay in Asakusa per say but I had to cross the Sumida River to go to Sumida Ku. I was staying in a nice Hostel (Khaosan Tokyo Guest House Annex).

Seriously, I enjoy traveling to distance places and countries.  I am an urban transit explorer rather than going to the country side.

Well, I tend to be more rural  :grin , but otherwise I'm pretty similar. I guess I'm a little from others here in there--rather than being into other kinds of modeling, I got into railroad modelling just because I like to travel, by train where possible.

My other "hobbies" are mostly outdoor activities, such as birding and cycling. Although being a parent means I don't get much time for those anymore, either.

I stayed a night at the Sakura Hostel in Asakusa, with a gorgeous view of the Pagoda just up from this arcade. Tiny tiny rooms, but the cleanest, bestest hostel I've ever been in. There were a bunch of hotels on the same block, too.

Sakura House property? They're a big group catering to foreigners.  I've been thinking of staying with them. They have these little one bedroomers that are going for about 500 a month in Ikibukuro.

CaptOblivious

Sakura House property? They're a big group catering to foreigners.  I've been thinking of staying with them. They have these little one bedroomers that are going for about 500 a month in Ikibukuro.

We rented a Gaijin Apartment from them for about three weeks, in Monzen-Nakachou, and found it entirely to our liking. I would totally give them my money again.

Good to know, becasue I've been planning to sue them for about a a year now. If I did my three month stint in Japan was going to sue them. Not sure where I'm going to go now though since my job just fell through.

Well, I tend to be more rural  :grin , but otherwise I'm pretty similar. I guess I'm a little from others here in there--rather than being into other kinds of modeling, I got into railroad modelling just because I like to travel, by train where possible.

My other "hobbies" are mostly outdoor activities, such as birding and cycling. Although being a parent means I don't get much time for those anymore, either.

Well Scott, I like cycling too...birding is another thing.  Not to tute my own horn but Toronto is a great place to cycle AND bird watch.  We have an area call the Leslie Street Split.  Google it and check it out!

Well Scott, I like cycling too...birding is another thing.  Not to tute my own horn but Toronto is a great place to cycle AND bird watch.  We have an area call the Leslie Street Split.  Google it and check it out!

Oh, yeah--I've heard Toronto is a good place for cycling, and I have a couple of Flickr contacts up there who are cyclists--it looks like an interesting place. We also have some friends up there who I'd like to visit eventually.

I use to cycle, but my knees are too far gone to do it anymore, but I at least still have a Vespa.

Ouch--yeah, knee problems aren't good; I'm glad I didn't ski for more than a few years, or I'd be in the same boat. But "two wheels good...", as they say.

If you like to cycle you really want to go Japan. The bicycles are amazing over there and the rental price are unbelievably cheap. When I was in Tokyo I rent a bike for a week and had to pay 5€... It was a really great experience, it opened me new horizons. I could discover Tokyo from the outside, not just from the innards of some random tunnel fill with subway or suburban trains.

Yeah, Japan's great even for casual cyclists like me because bicycles are considered pedestrian traffic, so you can bike leisurely on the sidewalk and go wherever you want. And the theft rate is extremely low compared to the US, so you can just leave you bike anywhere you want while you pop into a museum, have lunch, board a train, or whatever.

I'd definitely like to ride in Japan, both in the cities and in the rural areas. It seems like there's an interesting cyclist culture over there.

One group I'd like to meet up with are the "passhunters," who ride touring bikes over old or abandoned roads in the mountains. Some of them have nice websites with pictures of their rides. Here's one; his ride-report pages are here.

Of course, I only know about this stuff from the internet. :-\

A lot of people take their bikes to go explore abandoned railway lines, stations, and tunnels. There are numerous books available showing you where to find them.

Yeah, Japan's great even for casual cyclists like me because bicycles are considered pedestrian traffic, so you can bike leisurely on the sidewalk and go wherever you want. And the theft rate is extremely low compared to the US, so you can just leave you bike anywhere you want while you pop into a museum, have lunch, board a train, or whatever.

Yeah, I love that. Never knowing which way they are going to pass you when they're coming head on towards ya. Or the fact they're talking on a cell phone or playing on a Gameboy, really livens things up.

I also model plastic aircraft, though not on a very regular basis. Used to do a lot more of it in the past, but then my railway hobby returned in force :grin . As a matter of fact, I've got more than a dozen mostly 1:48 scale kits in the closet now and I have no idea if and when I'm going to build them. I did consider selling at least part of them, but still have to make up my mind which ones I might part with.

If any of you might be interested in one or several of them, drop me a message! I hope it is okay for me to mention this here as I was unsure whether to put an offer in the Classified section which seems to be meant for the trading of railway models only.

I'm trying to limit my hobbies, but to share some of my true nerdiness:

Some Warhammer 40k (on my-now history-O Gauge layout)

032007b019.jpg

I have a decent comic book collection, mostly 1970's (X-Men before they were cool :grin), some Gold and Silver Age. Don't understand the new stuff....if its later than 1980, I'm not really that interested.

I collect die cast spaceships...typically from classic sci-fi shows (which is a good way to limit a hobby to single digits).  My favorite is the 1/72 scale die-cast Drop Ship from Aliens. But I also have a decent collection of Space:1999 Eagles and UFO Shado 2's and Interceptors.....

DC78969lg.jpg

And, of course, keeping with the spirit of this forum, I follow this guy and his frustrating team (baseball is the only sport I'm really interested in):

ichiro.jpg

One more Warhammer shot

032007b023.jpg

CaptOblivious

Adeptus Arbites? Or perhaps an off-Codex chapter of the Adeptus Astartes? My Crimson Fists and my wife's Tau have been languishing in the closet for a few years now…*sigh*

quinntopia
Adeptus Arbites? Or perhaps an off-Codex chapter of the Adeptus Astartes?

Oh....definitely outside the codex!  :grin

Darren Jeffries

I also model plastic aircraft, though not on a very regular basis. Used to do a lot more of it in the past, but then my railway hobby returned in force :grin . As a matter of fact, I've got more than a dozen mostly 1:48 scale kits in the closet now and I have no idea if and when I'm going to build them. I did consider selling at least part of them, but still have to make up my mind which ones I might part with.

If any of you might be interested in one or several of them, drop me a message! I hope it is okay for me to mention this here as I was unsure whether to put an offer in the Classified section which seems to be meant for the trading of railway models only.

Dominik,

I would probably say that you would have a better chance of selling them over at the ARC forums... http://www.arcair.com

They are a purely Aircraft modelling forum.

Darren

And, of course, keeping with the spirit of this forum, I follow this guy and his frustrating team (baseball is the only sport I'm really interested in):

ichiro.jpg

Noooo, he beat the Yankees last night, I want to see his green card! :grin