A Non-Japanese Tram Layout

bill937ca

I’ve been waiting the past six months or so for Tomix to release its 1799 Crossing Track X37-90-WT set so I could proceed and build a tram layout. I started out planning a conventional Japanese tram layout, but somewhere along the line I switched to a HOn30 layout based on Lisbon’s 900mm trams.

With the arrival of a parcel from Rainbow Ten with six packages of S140-WT straight track earlier this week I created the new layout.  Today I cut 5mm black foamboard (which I’ve had on hand since December) to provide a base for buildings.

Next project is to motorize one of my yellow Amarelis  Lisbon trams with a Kato 11-103 or Bandai 1 four wheel power chassis. The Amarelis  tram comes fully painted, with an interior and a red under carriage including fenders. I need to cut an opening into the tram chassis for the power chassis.

The two turnouts need more work. Tomix doesn't offer a 90 degree turnout, so you have to create your own by cutting and filing to create a 90 degree turnout.  I have a scan of the rough cuts I made on the first turnout to create the 90 degree turn.  Once the Canadian Postal situation is resolved I can acquire the pieces I need to do more precise measured cuts.  But these are $2-3 pieces of track, so this is not a great loss. The old Tomix 3076 pieces on the PL-140-30 will get a coat of gray paint later.

I can't find any suitable HO structures, so I may have to build some myself.  I am still in the process of researching exactly what I will do for structures.  Nothing I've seen comes close to Lisbon's simple and elegant Pombaline buidings. Vehicles will  include some classic vehicles like the Citroen 2CV and Renault 5 which can still be seen on the streets of Lisbon along some current European vehicles.

1. The current track plan

2. Possible future plan with a siding for the red Hills Tram Tour cars.

3. A scan of the rough cuts to create a 90 degree turnout.  To be cleaned up later.

4. The layout as it looked earlier today with some of the foamboard  cut and in place.

• Like 5

If it is not too much to ask, can you provide the dimensions for the layout? Edge to edge, length and breadth please?

If it is not too much to ask, can you provide the dimensions for the layout? Edge to edge, length and breadth please?

The layout is on a 30" x 60" hobby table. The track plan as it is now measures just under 46" long and 28" deep. If I add the Hills Tour Tram siding will take up the whole width  30" of the table.

Concept Model Trains

I came across a H0m Portuguese layout call "Minho Douro" which has a tram line and is along the lines of what Bill is creating.  The buildings are fantastic. There is some good photos of it at Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fairlightworks/1780524233/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fairlightworks/1780556531/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fairlightworks/1781388738/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fairlightworks/1781355166/in/photostream/

• Like 1

Well, I'm making some progress. My Eko HO scale European cars and trucks arrived today. I've motorized the first tram first with a Kato 11-103 and then a Bandai 1 and the Bandai 1 is the winner. Its narrower, the tram sits lower and it runs pretty good. Its four wheel drive stalls on switches, but even prototype trams can have problems at switches (usually overhead related).  I've also found the C103 S curve is problem even with four wheel drives.  More details and photos later.

More progress.  I've tried both the Bandai 1 drive and the Kato 11-103 drive. The Bandai dirve sits lower and is narrower.  Even with much filing the Kato drive does not fit as well.

The red underbody plastic is soft enough that I could cut it with a hobby knife.  By comparison the body of a Bachmann Brill is so hard a hobby knife has no effect on the body. I managed to preserve the full interior by using the Bandai drive although a bit of underside strengthening had to be cut off.  Next challenge is removing the fitted plastic from some of the windows to represent Lisbon's six month summer.

The weather has been warm and dry here, so I've been outside a lot this summer.  But I making some progress.  I have been working on Greenmax sidewalks and a small building.

The top photo is the Amarelus tram with a Bandai drive under it.

The lower photo is the underside of the tram showing the cut to fit the drive.

• Like 2