'K-On!' characters featured on limited-edition railway tickets

K-On! has become such a moe cash cow it's unreal. I like the first and second season and a lot of people were guessing if this was the end of the series. Some then debated whether or not a third season of K-On would revolve around the girls in college, or the underclassmen taking over the club. turns out in the rush to grab more ¥¥¥ they decided to do both. Unless something has changed, two new K-Oh shows are suppose to debut in the fall or spring. Never underestimate the power of moe' I'm sure there are due-hard fanboys who are going to make the trek jsut for the tickets. Sadly as a ticket collector, an a fan of K-On, I'm not.

Limited-edition railway tickets... there's no such thing in North America, is there? (Collecting railroad paperwork, be it schedules, tickets or train orders, isn't my field of interest.) I suppose there'd occasionally be special tickets for the first or last run of something? But licensed railway tickets - is that something new even for Japan? (I seriously doubt it.)

Hey now did have the limited edition president Obama smart trip cards for DC metro. And as I understand it WMATA has a ton of them left for sale.

Limited-edition railway tickets... there's no such thing in North America, is there? (Collecting railroad paperwork, be it schedules, tickets or train orders, isn't my field of interest.) I suppose there'd occasionally be special tickets for the first or last run of something? But licensed railway tickets - is that something new even for Japan? (I seriously doubt it.)

Not really.  Railways will quite often issue commemorative tickets for anniversaries, new equipment entering service or being retired. The quantity may be limited to 1000 tickets, which on a major system is a drop in a bucket. Many of the stamp rallies feature licensed material like JR's Pokemon stamp rallies in Tokyo.  I just don't many of these promos getting translated into English.

Commemorative events are often announced on Hobidas.  

http://www.hobidas.com/news/list/1.html

Stamp rallies are more localized but they appear on Tetsudo.com.

http://www.tetsudo.com/

Don't forget almost all railways have open days and often offer items for sale like commemorative tickets, and limited issue models not available on the general market.  Tomytec and Bandai in particular participate in issuing these models.