Kato Unitrak Double Viaduct Loop V13 20-872-1

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

Just received this set.

Looks like nude track.

Is this the new style track and does it really look like real viaduct track?

post-436-13569928176241_thumb.jpg

I was checking out the track on my City's LRT, and sections of it look Exactly like that - notably the underground and bridge sections. I think the Tomix track looks like it too. Makes sense. If you're pouring a 100% concrete bed, why bother with separate ties and ballast?

That's "slab track", where the rail clips are attached to a concrete slab instead of ties. 

According to wikipedia, slab track in used on Shinkansen viaduct and tunnel track, although they also use concrete-tie track in other places.  See this JRTR article (PDF) for more info.  I'm pretty sure I've seen it used on some of the narrow-gauge commuter lines, although offhand I can't find a reference.

Funny the things that the eye misses. It was not until I started looking closely that I realized there are a lot of variations in the tracks.

The piece you are showing is the concrete slab which has no ties. It is from the elevated/overhead track layout. The 20-872-1 is the replacement of the 20-840 pack.

This is the example of what it looks like.

hachinohe0706-03.jpg

There are three types of track, concrete slab, gray concrete ties and brown wooden ties with gray ballast.

You can pop the track out of the viaduct and replace them with regular track if you want.

Now, that you know those brown ties will stick out like a sore thumb in the stations when they are mixed with the concrete ties.

Note: 

There are pieces that transition into and out of the super elevation track and should match up or you will risk derailments. The little arrows point to each other indicating the correct match.

Inobu 

Guest Closed Account 1

Note: 

There are pieces that transition into and out of the super elevation track and should match up or you will risk derailments. The little arrows point to each other indicating the correct match.

Yes, same as the V11, V14 and the other super elevated with banked turn sets.

Man, now the Ntrak modules will take a year to complete since now I'm waiting for the new concrete single curves, and those darn concrete switches and double cossovers.

Tomix fine track has all of the transition parts and single track banked curves already. Why not buy a couple of converters and build that area out with Tomix track?