New table, New layout! Pics+ Video

SubwayHypes

SubwayHypes

Yea i was forced to keep a single loop track and set it up on a desk really cheap like for a long time, but i moved into this rented house which has a very big bedroom so i can fit a 8x4 in there, im sorta tempted to replace my bed with another table and extend the layout and just sleep on the floor LOL.

Mudkip Orange

Yea i was forced to keep a single loop track and set it up on a desk really cheap like for a long time, but i moved into this rented house which has a very big bedroom so i can fit a 8x4 in there, im sorta tempted to replace my bed with another table and extend the layout and just sleep on the floor LOL.

When I was in college I elevated my dorm bed on a wood frame and put the desk & computer underneath it. You could do the same with your trains.*

*may want to make this setup adjustable so you can revert to a normal bed when you have "company"

SubwayHypes

Im still waiting on some packages in the mail, so i decided to run some trains.  I was robbed of a couple hundred dollars to pay my mechanic to fix my car....(money that could have been spent on trains)...so i was angry, came home, had a few beers and decided to play with the layout...here is my drunken train video and photography!

hitachi12.jpg

hitachi143.jpg

Heres the video, youtube stole my song!

Subway - Hope the car is working alright now and we all have these unexpected expenses.

Every time you post I always see something new. What are you using for ground cover around the tracks?

SubwayHypes

Yea, everytime i update i want to make sure i at least added something new!

The stuff around the tracks is Elmer's clear glue mixed with grey ballast/pebbles, i mix in a little brown to make it look a little more realistic

SubwayHypes

Built an overpass kit from greenmax, which i highly recomend, also adding in grass and trees here and there..also building a greenmax station kit should be done shortly.

macrolayoutbutter.jpg

macrolayouttrees.jpg

kittyfighters010.jpg

disturbman

It's slowly taking shape. But you should try to take picture that are not unfocused. It hurts my eyes to see those blury things. ;) :p

Anyway, the last addings look good.  :)

SubwayHypes

yea my camera skills are seriously pretty bad, i dont know why i cant get the damn pictures to stay sharp.  I was using Macro Setting so only the closer objects remain clear while the background is fuzzy....also uhh last night when i was taking pictures i was a six-pack deep soo.... ;D

heres to getting drunk and trying to build tiny greenmax station kits!

greenmaxstationkit002.jpg

disturbman

I'm not an expert but I've the feeling that you are trying to get too close of your subject. And if you are using a powerfull zoom it's easy to get things blurry. Because, one, you are too close and the camera can't focus and, two, because if you move even just a tiny tiny bit the fuzzy ninjas will ruin your picture.

Try to practice a little bit, taking picture untill you get them like you want.

SubwayHypes

Yea the main thing is sturdyness, i try to use some kind of support because i dont have a tripod.  I've lowered the exposure time and upped the ISO to 400 and my pics are a little sharper lately.

SubwayHypes

MUAHAHA...little update.

So in case you havent checked the "obcessed with trains thread", i recently got flooded with 221 series sets!

First, i paid 154.99 for a six car set from hit-japan, it was steep, but whatevs.

Then next week on ebay, i find another 6 car set for 110 shipped, BOUGHT IT, thought i got a real goood deal.

Low and behold, less than a day later, on a three day auction, i find what i thought was a 4 car set for only 80 bucks shipped, BOUGHT IT.

when the set comes in the mail, its a six car!!!!  So now i have three 6 car 221 series sets, perfect for my commuter train/yard ideas!

im gonna run one as a 6+4, and the other as a 6+3 with my 223 series u@tech train.

221yard002.jpg

221yard001.jpg

221lightson.jpg

Subway - Everytime you post photos the layout you see how much you've put into your layout. You are getting an interesting effect with the table top and the gloss, it looks a lot like water (better results than what I've been gettting)

Have you thought of using this as a waterway on the layout?

SubwayHypes

^the table is a standard styrofoam 4x4 sheet that you can buy at Home Depot for $8...i layered it with 2-3 coats of Rustoleum enamel primer.  It would definately be cool to have a waterpart of my layout but unforunately my subway theme kind of doesnt make that possible, although i have always wanted to recreate this Tokyo railscene, where the train exits a subway directly onto a bridge that goes over a tokyo canal...the one i have in mind in this one that has the Tokyo Metro Maranaouchi subway line and in the background the Chuo Line..

08.jpg

In the meantime, i have been working on more cabs, i havent even been running any trains lately because i need to clean the track im getting lots of power loss and dead sections i gotta hammer out...i also gotta reinstall most of my building layout

taxi cab assembly line!

assemblylinecabs.jpg

should have everything back together shortly, also...HAVE A FEW MORE SURPRISE TRAINS COMING IN THE MAIL!!! heheheheh....my grandpa in tokyo went on some shopping missions of his own and sent me a few goodies, so stay tuned!

SubwayHypes

New train-  My grandpa sent some gifts from Japan.

Greenmax Series 5000

Blue Train "Suisei"...still gotta buy a matching loco

SuiseiBluetraininbox-1.jpg

Finished more taxis, they still need their little "hats"

TaxisLinedup.jpg

disturbman

Your Grandpa has good taste in gifts!

Indeed. I've too be my own japanese Grandpa, I could be jeamous.

@Subway: When you will have your ED75 this train is going to look quite gorgeous.

SubwayHypes

Is the ED75 the correct one to match up with?  I was thinking about going with the EF65 or EF81.

*just checked the tomix mag, the correct match is the ED76 which is basically the same i guess.

Your Grandpa has good taste in gifts!

hehe well i kinda "steered" him towards a certain few models.  i send him the train videos via email so he can watch them. 

Cool vids and trains, I gotta learn to post some on Youtube!

I don't have a grandpa anymore but I had fond memories of him bringing me little matchbox buses that were common in HK back in the 80s!

disturbman

*just checked the tomix mag, the correct match is the ED76 which is basically the same i guess.

Yes, sorry, it's indeed the ED76.

@to2leo: it's really easy to post video on youtube. You just need to register and to hit the send bouton. :)

SubwayHypes

^the cool thing is that the BLue Train sets comes with a few different signs, so i can make it a SUISEI or a HOKATSEI or some other lines..

Fenway Park

I don't know which area you are modelling but the 221s you have are D.C. and the ED75/ED76 are A.C. only so they would not be seen on the same track.

The ED76 are to be found in Kyushu only. ED75s are in Northern Honshu. 

An EF66 would be better.

SubwayHypes

yea my layout isnt really too realistic pertaining to where each prototype runs, i have 221s running with 531s running with tokyu series, i am not too area specific right now, just trying to get as many trains as possible.    in the future i would love to have more accurate lines, with subways lines running downstairs while my JR tokyo lines run upstairs.

i just love the 221s because i remember seeing them alot from my hotel in Kyoto.  plus they kinda look like the Tokyo Metro Hibiya sen too.

BlueTrainJuneJNS2.jpg

BlueTrainJuneJNS.jpg

and my super messy layout, its a disaster right now, but by the end of the month the entire east side of the layout will be finished.

messylayoutjune.jpg