New table, New layout! Pics+ Video

SubwayHypes

It certainly is coming along nicely and you really have some roster of cars. How is everything running with the trains?

SubwayHypes

thanks yall, been pretty busy trying to make money but i am slowly adding things block by block.  sidewalks, streetlights, and caternarys go in next.

trains are running smoothly, i just got a 3way extension so im gonna run some feeders so that i have power coming from lower level and upper level.

i still need about 100 dollars to finish my outter line that connects to the viaduct track, just kinda tight on money right now so its gotta wait.

some pics of my dual 651 hitachis, one of the motor cars is squeaky so i usually run her as a 4+4

aprilstock006.jpg

jnsaprilstock.jpg

aprilstock004.jpg

aprilstock007.jpg

That great that everything is running well! The Super Hitachi is a nice train, one of them must be a recent purchase I thought you only had one.

Do you have a plan where you are going to put your roads?

SubwayHypes

Yea another 651 set popped up on ebay for 140 shipped so i had to jump on it.

yea i got my roads already mostly mapped out for the downtown, still debating on what to do with my suburban part, i have a bunch of small houses ready but im still working on downtown.  I still have to add all the street signs, fences, and all that good stuff.  I just got some really cool streeetlights from greenmax i cant wait to install.

Subway - Do you have a paper & pencil plan (or even computer) of where you are going to put your roads, park and buildings on the layout? It will be neat to how this layout is going to be built up. ;)

SubwayHypes

As of now no set plans, but its all coming along.  The basic plan is to have an urban area to the right closest to the station, and then a rural area to the left with rice paddies and suburban houses.

Have you ever played SIM CITY?  I used to be addicted to that game, so i have alot of experiance i feel in setting up metropolitan areas with roadways, residential vs commercial, etc.

Basically i want to have a downtown area directly around and to the north of the station.  Then i will have one downtown road extend to the left of the layout that will branch out into suburban areas.  Im debating to go with a more cramped japanese feel or with a more spread out layout with a more american suburb feel.  I really want to add cool little driveways and backyards to all my houses.

Mudkip Orange

I'm probably biased here but I'd say definitely go with the cramped Japanese suburban feel. I find the very neat property boundaries to be fascinating... on the one hand, the houses are built so close to the lot line, but on the other hand, everyone has brick or stone or concrete walls all around their lot. It seems like the net effect is to give just as much privacy as a big midcentury American rancher on a big, fenceless lot.

SubwayHypes

More houses = more expenses!!!

I would love to drop 500 dollars and buy  enough houses to fill a nice sub-division, but on the same note i can spend half that, add in the extra spaces with backyards and trees, and spend the rest on trains!

When i go to japan this summer i will definately be bargain hunting for houses though, my mom said she saw kato/tomix buildings that retail for 1890 going for as cheap as 1000 yen a pop at some hobby stores in tokyo

Mudkip Orange

More houses = more expenses!!!

I would love to drop 500 dollars and buy  enough houses to fill a nice sub-division, but on the same note i can spend half that, add in the extra spaces with backyards and trees, and spend the rest on trains!

When i go to japan this summer i will definately be bargain hunting for houses though, my mom said she saw kato/tomix buildings that retail for 1890 going for as cheap as 1000 yen a pop at some hobby stores in tokyo

Good idea.

What kind of transformers are you using on your layout? I'm curious how you got the E217s to run so damn quietly...

SubwayHypes

yea that e217 is alot quieter than my other motor cars, my micro ace tozai is also pretty quiet, using basic kato power pack with kato unitrack.

SubwayHypes

Oh, naw i am using a kato power packs on each individual track, so there are two seperate powerpacks supplying that double track.

SubwayHypes

New train debut, 5+3 car KiHa 85 "WIDE VIEW HIDA" from kato.    I was kinda iffy at first if i would like the train in person, but as soon as i opened the box it propelled into probably my most favorite train in the collection so far.  I love the silver aluminum siding and the different end cars, a very classy looking train.    Anyways, check out the pics and let me know what you think! 

I will also be debuting a new train very soon, (its currently en route via EMS) so check back and see what im gonna pull out next!! 

jnspostKiha85014.jpg

jnspostKiha85015.jpg

jnspostKiha85019.jpg

JNSpostKiha85010.jpg

SubwayHypes

jnspostKiha85013.jpg

jnspostKiha85012.jpg

i love the detail and colors on these!

I started to map in some of the roads, but i am not very satisfied with it and im gonna redo it.  Im painting the actual paved road a darker shade of grey, then instead of trying to free hand the lines, im gonna be using stencils and spraypaint. 

jnspostKiha85028.jpg

jnspostKiha85030.jpg

I've always liked that train too. I also see that you started marking your roads and it's starting to look like a busy street now.

SubwayHypes

Just recieved an enormous package from Japan, which included my new JR West Series 221!

Heres a quick video.

JNSuploadSeries221.jpg

SubwayHypes

Deep down i still think my 217 is my favorite, when i go to japan im buying every expansion i can get my hands on.

LightsOn002.jpg

FridayNight217004.jpg

FridayNight217002.jpg

FridayNight217003.jpg

disturbman

Hey Sub, could you post an aerial (global) view of your layout? I'd like to have a more complete image of it. Thanks.

SubwayHypes

I will post some aerial shots as soon as i can fill in a little more, only about 20% of the layout is covered in buildings, the rest is a big open expanse of flat green.  Theres some pictures/video above that shows how my layout works, basically its a double decker layout with a underground level that mimics a subway and the top level is my urban city.

I just got an overhead station kit, station buildings accessories, a few more buildings and stuff in so i will install that over the next few weeks and give another update.  As of today no more trains are gonna be running until i can complete some construction of the layout.

disturbman

Ok, I will wait then. I so envy you, I would like to have something to build. But I have to wait some more months before starting.