New table, New layout! Pics+ Video

SubwayHypes

If this the type of yard you are thinking of you may want to consider a separate table for the yard.

http://cafe.naver.com/ArticleRead.nhn?clubid=11101373&articleid=30542&menuid=5&boardtype=P&page=1

hahah yea thats exactly what i want!

yea i know its not possible on an 8x4 but what about maybe 4-5 lines?  I was thinking i could place them on the far side of the track, have the yard connect to a single line that will loop around and connect to the main double track lines. 

newtrackplan.jpg

Would the 282/315 radius cause any problems with passenger trains? It would look sort of funny with shinkansens, but would there any derailment problems with Subway's subways, or with typical limited-express trains?

CaptOblivious

Would the 282/315 radius cause any problems with passenger trains? It would look sort of funny with shinkansens, but would there any derailment problems with Subway's subways, or with typical limited-express trains?

None at all. I regularly run my entire fleet over 280mm radius curves, and everything but shinkansen over 243mm radius curves with zero issues.

None at all. I regularly run my entire fleet over 280mm radius curves, and everything but shinkansen over 243mm radius curves with zero issues.

What sort of couplers? The special diaphragm couplers on Kato's 800 Series, while they technically make it through 282mm, are not happy - the train body is pulled into the turn (tilted on the boogies) because the couplers just can't reach each other on tighter curves. Pulled any tighter and the wheels would be leaving the track on the outside rail.

On the other hand 20m stuff shouldn't have any problems. The telescoping body mount couplers Kato uses actually work for close coupling right down to Kato R216 (on Tomix R177 they derail), and most truck mounted couplers have similar or better performance.

CaptOblivious

What sort of couplers? The special diaphragm couplers on Kato's 800 Series, while they technically make it through 282mm, are not happy - the train body is pulled into the turn (tilted on the boogies) because the couplers just can't reach each other on tighter curves. Pulled any tighter and the wheels would be leaving the track on the outside rail.

I have only one shinkansen, the Kato E4; it uses diaphragm couplers that are very much like Kato's other body-mounts or TN body-mounts in operation, i.e., they telescope out when pulled to the side by a sharp curve. I've had no problems at all on 280mm radius with those. On 243mm radius, I observe what you do, that the carriages get pulled into the turns, with the occasional truck being lifted off the tracks a little bit.

SubwayHypes

Havent been on here in a while.  So im at my new spot, there was a nice area for the layout, and then my brother moves in and how its his bedroom.  Theres still a possible space but its in my living room.

So until then everything has been sitting in boxes, lots of planning but mostly not alot happening except the occasional stocking up of track, trains and vehicles.  Eventually i will set up the layout again.

Untill then....

Tokyu5000andUtec223.jpg

Mudkip Orange

So until then everything has been sitting in boxes, lots of planning but mostly not alot happening except the occasional stocking up of track, trains and vehicles.   Eventually i will set up the layout again.

Send all your trains/track/buildings to me, I'll build you a layout, and then you can pick it back up when you have the space!

Subway it's good to hear from you! The other alternative is to keep the trains and track and send your brother to Mudkip.  :grin

SubwayHypes

^haha thanks for offer, yeah i feel guilthy letting 3 grand worth of trains and accessories just sit and collect dust....im getting more and more motivated to invade my brothers room and make him reposition his bed to fit my layout.

heres some cars i just bought off ebay, in N scale, very nice quality.  Scion, Toyota Crown, and Nissan Cima.

nscalecars001.jpg

nscalecars002.jpg

i like collecting N scale cars just as much as trains...

prizedbuses.jpg

SubwayHypes

i will be setting up the layout very shortly.  im gonna keep the plans secret for now, and post them in a new thread when i finally get construction underway. 

in the meantime, i built this apartment kit which came out nice, but took around 2-3 hours to build.

nscalejuly21005.jpg

also created a fleet of the turquoise blue football taxis, they will have their football lights shortly

nscalejuly21007.jpg

and finally...i had this extra blue train car that i bought, but it doesnt fit into my blue train set, its part of an old livery.  so i handed over to a friend for a custom paintjob!

nscalejuly21001.jpg

nscalejuly21002.jpg

stay tuned.  my eventual goal with the new layout is to get into the japanese N scale magazine user submissions. 

SubwayHypes

the new table is in place....you can get a sneak peak at whats in store..however much is still secret....

layout2.jpg

slowly getting things into place....almost done laying track.  goal of this run is to get the track down and running 100% before any extensive building takes place.

heres the latest pics....

subwayyard2.jpg

subwayyard1.jpg

subwayyard3.jpg

CaptOblivious

Do I recall that you used paint pens to do the graffiti? How common is graffiti like that in Tokyo, exactly? Although I'm not exactly a fan of graffiti in the real world (I do appreciate it as an artform, but when folks around here insist on tagging beautiful century-old brick that can be neither cleaned nor replaced, it really irks me), unlike most North American sticks in the mud, I'm all for re-creating a scene accurately. Plus, it sounds like a fun challenge to try making some scale graffiti.

All that said, would you mind posting a tutorial on making scale graffiti? And sharing pics or links to pics of actual graffiti in Tokyo? (In a new thread, methinks.) If you have time; you do seem awfully busy of late.

So what happen to your cats now, Subway? Do you manage to put it in a cage? It 's bad to see one 's layout being destroyed by a cat. If I were you, I will whack the cat with a stick lol. :grin

Do I recall that you used paint pens to do the graffiti? How common is graffiti like that in Tokyo, exactly?

All that said, would you mind posting a tutorial on making scale graffiti? And sharing pics or links to pics of actual graffiti in Tokyo? (In a new thread, methinks.) If you have time; you do seem awfully busy of late.

While watching You Tube videos I have seen graffiti in Tokyo along rail lines, but it remains relatively uncommon.  It might be more common steel store shutters (and out of sight much of the time) than on railway infrastructure

theres tons of graffiti in Tokyo, especially in shibuya and harajuku, i think it adds a nice artful flair to the areas.  yea graffiti is not good in certain areas like historic buildings and businesses or houses, but in some of the shibuya alleys and along traintracks i think it looks pretty cool.   i use fine point posca pens to do the artwork.  you do one layer, let it dry, then add the 2nd layer, dry, then retouch the first layer.  

in the meantime, the construction crews are still at work, i figure i should have my track down and running within a week or so.

constructionyard.jpg

So what happen to your cats now, Subway? Do you manage to put it in a cage? It 's bad to see one 's layout being destroyed by a cat. If I were you, I will whack the cat with a stick lol. :grin

my new layout has its own room now, so i can close the door and keep the cats out.  although i do have a new guest but hes too small to jump on the table.  Shiba Inu, 2.5 months old!  his dad was shipped here from Japan.  Cost me 1200 dollars!  i could have bought 6 train sets for the price of this puppy lol...but hes worth every penny.  always wanted a shiba inu, his name is KIBA it means "fangs" in japanese..

oct10001.jpg

oct14004.jpg

Can't wait to see your progress once again, looks like a large construction there. 

Kiba looks like a cute little red fox from that angle.  Does it come in N scale? :grin

Kiba is very cute! I think I know the breed and I don't think they get very big. No problems with the cat getting along with the puppy? You should post the photo in pets.

theres tons of graffiti in Tokyo, especially in shibuya and harajuku, i think it adds a nice artful flair to the areas.  yea graffiti is not good in certain areas like historic buildings and businesses or houses, but in some of the shibuya alleys and along traintracks i think it looks pretty cool.   i use fine point posca pens to do the artwork.  you do one layer, let it dry, then add the 2nd layer, dry, then retouch the first layer.  

in the meantime, the construction crews are still at work, i figure i should have my track down and running within a week or so.

constructionyard.jpg

my new layout has its own room now, so i can close the door and keep the cats out.  although i do have a new guest but hes too small to jump on the table.  Shiba Inu, 2.5 months old!  his dad was shipped here from Japan.  Cost me 1200 dollars!  i could have bought 6 train sets for the price of this puppy lol...but hes worth every penny.  always wanted a shiba inu, his name is KIBA it means "fangs" in japanese..

oct10001.jpg

oct14004.jpg

Haha nice!! I would buy a pup too!! :)