New table, New layout! Pics+ Video

SubwayHypes

This is just the beginning.  After a failed attempt at building my own train table, (had problems with warpage and gave up), i bought this table tonight for $100, it was custom built by the owner for HO layout, it is a 8x4 very sturdy and it also has a train controller platform.  I am going to make this table a "double decker" and have this main floor you see here eventually be an underground subway level, but for now, i am running a simple loop on the main level. 

Newtrainlayout013.jpg

goodforjns1.jpg

make sure to check back, i should have the double decker and extra track installed by new years (hopefully), i will also have new videos of Super Hitachi and Shinkansen Nozomi which are in mail.

This is just the beginning.  After a failed attempt at building my own train table, (had problems with warpage and gave up), i bought this table tonight for $100, it was custom built by the owner for HO layout, it is a 8x4 very sturdy and it also has a train controller platform.   I am going to make this table a "double decker" and have this main floor you see here eventually be an underground subway level, but for now, i am running a simple loop on the main level. 

make sure to check back, i should have the double decker and extra track installed by new years (hopefully), i will also have new videos of Super Hitachi and Shinkansen Nozomi which are in mail.

I share your table building pains. I went with a banquette table. Any case that E217 looks like it runs pretty well.

Nice video  ;D  .... do you plan to use risers to build the 'double decker'? And also, just curious, are you using DC or DCC?

Congratulations on getting your table and getting your layout started. I understand your problem in building a table and warping wood. When I made my tables I had to put cross bracing every 2' screwing in the plywood to the beams that got rid of the warping.

When I finished my wife was impressed and said they would make great laundry sorting tables.

Nice video, what camera did you use to make it?

CaptOblivious

It looks DC, 'cause the lights go off when it stops. Still, that really is a very smooth-running train!

Also, I too just bought a small old dining table off of Craigslist for my layout; I then built the layout on 1.5" foam, which is pretty rigid.

make sure to check my youtube channel, subscribe to me! because i will be making more videos, heres another quick one of the e217 in action.

Here is a link to Woodlandscenics inclines & riser sets. It explains what they are and how they work but there are other places that you should order them from because if you order direct from WS you will be paying full retail price.

http://www.woodlandscenics.com/items.cfm/Inclines#ST1416

http://www.woodlandscenics.com/items.cfm/Risers#ST1414

In you last video, it looks like the table is already covered w/Green insulation foam. Am I correct? Also what type of camera did you use, I'm thinking of buying one.

thanks for the link i definately like those risers better than the kato elevation sets.

Heres anther video, set up some of my buildings and cars, check my cop car and chevy nova! 

remember this is just the beginning.

no bernard no insulation foam, the wood is painted green, but i am thinking about applying a sheet of insulation foam so i can mount trees and buildings into them.

the camera is a canon elph 7.1 megapixel you can get them at bestbuy now for like 100 bucks, i paid 250 for mine over a year ago. 

Here is a photo of why I personally like working with foam glued on top of the table.

As you can see after laying the insulation foam down, I put my track in place according to my track plan and then I cut into the foam down to the plywood to create the river.

post-22-1356992208247_thumb.jpg

yea i think i will use a layer of foam, i like how i can anchor trees and lightpoles into the foam instead of having to glue them to the wood.

here is a few pics of my bus yard, still looking for more tokyo green buses im snatching up everyone on ebay i can find.

busyard002.jpg

busyard004.jpg

Finally the project is moving forward, today i set up the entire track with the risers.  Now all i got to do is head to home depot and grab some 2X4 thin boards, which i will prop up with 3 inch supports.  Here is a test run with my e531.

testtrackoverview.jpg

basically the table will cover from the front of the layout and will extend to the first of the risers in the background.  The elevated section where you see the two WHITE risers lying sideways is where the main station will be, another M1 single track line is going to be added that will connect with the double track, this track will then lead to my train yards, which will be placed on both the upper and bottom levels.

Isn't great running trains and the WS incline sets make it so easy to get started! What I like about the WS inclines and risers it that in "N scale" you can run a double track on them. Here is a like trick I did to same some money. I used my WS incline sets and when I needed to level the track, I used regular blue or pink insulation foamboard to match up with the incline. If the incline when up to 2" I used pieces of 1" foam board and doubled it or 2" foam board.

I'm attaching a photo of what I did. (My hardware store had green foam) If you look at the background you will see after the overpass, there is a section of green foam leading to the mountain. You can also use WS risers but I find it's good to have foam around when you want to build up other areas of your layout. If you go to Home Depot and do decide to buy a sheet of Corning Insulation foam board, what I did to get it into the car, (I didn't take my wife's truck) there is a seam in the foam that with a knife you can cut it in half and it will be easy to transport.

I like the running of the layout, are you planing on building a mountain/tunnel in you design?

Finally the project is moving forward, today i set up the entire track with the risers.  Now all i got to do is head to home depot and grab some 2X4 thin boards, which i will prop up with 3 inch supports.  Here is a test run with my e531.

basically the table will cover from the front of the layout and will extend to the first of the risers in the background.  The elevated section where you see the two WHITE risers lying sideways is where the main station will be, another M1 single track line is going to be added that will connect with the double track, this track will then lead to my train yards, which will be placed on both the upper and bottom levels.

It's funny that I was just wondering the other day where you had been lately. Anycase, it looks pretty good so far. The WS makes a nice riser set that I hope to use in stage II. As Bernard stated they are nice in that you can double track them pretty easily.

Heres a new video so you can guys get a better idea of what i am gonna do.  The boards are split into (4) 2x4 baseboards that i bought from home depot for 5 bucks each, they are very sturdy.  They are supported with 3 inch PVC piping that is glued to the baseboard, i use another PVC pipe in the middle of each board for extra support, each PVC tube costed 84 cents. 

I am also layering the baseboards with styrofoam sheets that are painted and drying right now.  Then on top of the that comes the scenery, buildings, etc.  I also have some v3 sets on the way so i will be adding a train yard somewhere around the layout.  Future plans include both a yard on the top layer and a sublevel yard below.  I am also gonna add more stuff below the layout to make it look more subwayish and undergound.  I am maybe even thinking an undergound lighted station, but thats way down the road.

one more video of my e531 joban running on the layout before i added the double decker, if you look closely you can see the miniature graffiti that is sprinkled on the buildings and risers for realistic effect.  This was a 5 car train i got off ebay but i purchased the 2 car extension so its a bit longer.

Now that dual level looks really cool ... first video, looking at it sideways, already gives me the impression of an underground rail + subway station.  ;D ;D

doubledecker1001.jpg

doubledecker1002.jpg

doubledecker1003.jpg

new pics, i layed down the styrofoam sheets that were painted brown, then coated with green for a dark look.

i am still having lots of problems with derailments, this kato unitrack has a tendency to derail my trains at certain spots, when i interchange the peices i will solve one direction, but then the other direction will be uneven and cause derailments, it has really been frustration.  i am going to add feeders and try to sort out this track issue, if you guys have any advice id love it, because i really want to start on my scenery decoration but i cant until i get the damn trains to run properly!!  they run fine in one direction, but derail going the opposite.  the joints seem smooth to touch, but for some reason the train keeps derailing!!

Subway - exactly where are the derailments happening? Check that section of track carefully, you might has a flaw in the Unitrack. Also you say the derailments only happen in one direction and not the other, check the incline or decline in that area, maybe it's too drastic or at that point the track isn't being supported.

SubwayHypes

Still got alot of work to do, but you can see my basic idea and the framework being laid for future downtown developement!  Still have to add sidewalks, trees, cars, all of which is waiting patiently in their boxes. 

downtowndeveloper003.jpg

downtowndeveloper001.jpg

downtowndeveloper002.jpg

This layout is coming along nicely, I see you added your own personal touch to the buildings.  ;)

Have you solved the derailment problem and what material do you plan to use for roads & sidewalks?

I look forward to seeing the layout develope.  :)

SubwayHypes

the wavy surface is probably the effect the paint had when applying it to the styrofoam baseboards, i put on like 2 coats of green then topped it with two coats of grey.

i have solved the derailment issues, but i  still have some power loss around turns, so im gonna be adding some feeeder wires once my Kato 3 way extension cord gets here.

For the sidewalks im using Styrene sheets spray painted grey.

And yes, the personal touch!  Its actually very accurate, the graffiti portrayed on that building is directly taken from some graffiti i saw in Tokyo done by artists FANTA and RESQ