My shelf tram layout

Ben

Here are a few pics of my current work in progress - an N scale tram shelf layout.

[smg id=1340]Layout is just 88x32 cm - anyone has space for a layout this size!

[smg id=1341]Track is a loop with sidings. Track is Peco flex and set track, with the road surface built up using plasticard

[smg id=1342]Hodl five-section combino on the back road: Bachmann Peter Witt lurks in the depot along with a Routemaster bus!

[smg id=1343]Kato Portram and (as yet un-motorized) Hong Kong tram

[smg id=1344]Points are operated by a push-rod system: power supply is home-made. Capacitors below the track give a smooth stop when trams are driven 'on the switches'. BR shunter and guard's van may seem incongruous but this is my track cleaning train

[smg id=1345]I think the depot represents a transport museum - hence the mix of old and new trams. Here we see the 'trolley festival' in full swing...

• Like 5

Cool!

Very similar to what I intend to build!

plan.png

More on my blog

I have a shelf a bit smaller though: 76 x 26.5. Looking forward to see what you do with your tiny layout!!  :laugh:

Ben, very cool. My wife also insisted that I let you know she likes it very much!

And probably letting me know that I start taking less space at home. One can never tell :)

I have a shelf a bit smaller though: 76 x 26.5. Looking forward to see what you do with your tiny layout!!  :laugh:

Plenty of room! But don't you want to include any points in your loop? It makes it alot more fun to operate!

Plenty of room! But don't you want to include any points in your loop? It makes it alot more fun to operate!

Nope, for this one, it'll be a simple loop. I make this layout to play with scenery, a point would take the space of it.

And anyway, I will have only one tram...  :grin

Ben - You used plasticard for the interior of the track also....that must have taken some time to do. Nice work!

Very nice layout indeed! The only thing I'd have added was a passing loop or a siding hidden in the rear of the layout. I'm interested to see how the surroundings turn out! Keep us posted!

Great concept- look forward to following its progress.

If there is one thing ive learnt in the hobby its that a large layout can be a real pain as you are forever

cleaning track and fixing problems.

Hobby Dreamer

This is the great thing about trams..

You have potential for a detailed layout in almost negligible space; plus its a working layout!!

Nice job on the track covers!!

Rick

Thankyou all for your kind comments!

I haven't decided what to do with the remaining open space on the right.... My girlfriend suggests a little park, what do you think?

Keiman - the curves are peco flex track, 140 mm radius. I used thick plasticard already glued down to the base to get the radius right (flex track can be quite springy!) Got some photos of this process somewhere.... I had to cut a few extra gaps in the plastic connecting the sleepers to be able to curve to this radius.

Bernard - actually I've been cheating, some of the track covers are from the Tomix 3076 kit, but I've run out now, so the rest will be embossed plasticard. It's alot of trouble to get it right, I think if I started over I would use the Tomix wide tram track, but this was not available when I started!

The only thing is now, I don't know where the tramway is situated... I have European buildings and British buses, plus vintage American and modern Japanese trams. Mostly my trams drive on the left, but the layout doesn't seem very Japanese... Maybe it's in Britain or Australia? Of course it doesn't matter too much - maybe it's my own fictional country!

This is a very nice small tram layout with a lot of potential!

What to do with the empty space to the right? May I suggest something different than a park? If it were my layout, I´d add a "dramatic" scenery highlight, such as an elevated highway passing over the tracks, some more high rise buildings and a little park partly underneath the highway. This would add a lot of drama to the layout and would be a good representation of the rather cramped Japanese cityscape.

Hey Ben,

How are you going to motorize your Hong Kong Tram.  I bought one but am wondering whether I can just plug onto a Kato B train motor.

post-60-13569928163352_thumb.jpg

Hobby Dreamer
My girlfriend suggests a little park, what do you think?

A park is a great idea...  A row of trees in front of the track in back would look cool.. You put a lot of care into the track covers so you don't want a "busy" layout to hide that.

Don't worry about a fictitious layout... 

Rick

Hey Ben,

How are you going to motorize your Hong Kong Tram.  I bought one but am wondering whether I can just plug onto a Kato B train motor.

Still trying to figure this one out! Not alot of time to spend on the rolling stock yet... We did have a bit of a discussion about this here:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,3765.msg47201.html#msg47201

The Hong Kong tram wants a 22 mm wheelbase.

I think we both thought of the Kato Portram bogie for this job!

Wonderful. I like micro layouts.

The idea of a small tram museum is great. So you can put trams from different cities / countrys all together.

Thanks Tosaden! Haven't had any time lately to work on the layout but I think I will go for a park in the corner after all... Anybody done N scale grass track?

sounds good, since i've gone DCC and modular unfortunately my layout ideas are getting bigger.

Festival in the park?.

Not alot of scenic progress lately, due to work and being distracted by Cities in Motion (awesome game for transit fans)... However, the trolley museum has made a new acquisition, and seems to be developing a bit of a London theme!

[smg id=1376 type=full align=center width=600]

[smg id=1375 type=full align=center width=600]

• Like 1

Ben,

I am enjoying watching your progress. I can't wait to see more. And, I know what you mean about Cities in Motion it is a lot of fun.