KATO Single Track Viaduct connect to Viaduct Station?

shadrel

Guys - pardon my n00b question. I'm envisioning a layout where a single track viaduct line would connect to the Viaduct station. I am planning on putting turnouts in the viaduct station.

I was wondering if anyone else had done this? Do the s-joiners work for this scenario? or is the Viaduct station built exclusively for the double track viaduct?

Thanks!

Shad

im pretty sure the end plates are profiled and sized for the double viaduct, not the single viaduct tracks. but its really easy to shave these down to fit how you like.

the end of each station plate has 3 S joiner locations. you should be able to put the single viaduct into one end and then do a passing track with #4 or 6 turnouts (whichever is your pleasure as both can work). i think the outside walls should join up pretty well, then one of the plates for the other side.

cheers

jeff

Guest Closed Account 1

Yes, good concept.  I already envisioned this for my Ntrak layouts. Just plan to run the Kato single viaduct oval (Kato V2) to and from the station.

In the picture you can see how the single tracks can connect to the viaduct station. How you'll run trains on that trident is up to you.

Recommend to connect your Viaduct track as you would ground level track at the station just maintain the track centering and then start using the viaduct supports once off the viaduct station.

I believe most members here will agree that the single viaduct tracks rub Shinkansens the wrong way. Double viaduct tracks are the way to go.

post-436-13569928112818_thumb.jpg

im pretty sure the end plates are profiled and sized for the double viaduct, not the single viaduct tracks. but its really easy to shave these down to fit how you like.

Having just set my station up, it's totally meant for either single or double track. The set also comes with 2 different sizes of end pieces (single and double) to finish off the wall that's perpendicular to the main side walls. Mine looks quite silly though as it's actually regular Unitrack going into the station and not even a viaduct piece...  :cheesy

Thanks again guys - more reassurance. here is a pic of my proposed layout, I have a pic of current layout in earlier post:

Iteration2.png

The station will come right up top with #6 turnouts (will just buy another kato set -V1 i think) when I can afford it!

Here is a pic of my shinkansens:

DSC_0857%252520%252528Large%252529.JPG

Guest Closed Account 1

What program did you use? Well though out.

Is the oval all viaduct?

V11 is a great set. V14 is the narrower curve version.

thanks webskip - the oval with the bridges is all viaduct and S248 (in the viaduct station). I use xtrkcad.

I already have the double track V11 set, here is my current layout, this will grow to include the single track viaduct set and the viaduct station.

Iteration1.png

Thanks again guys - more reassurance. here is a pic of my proposed layout, I have a pic of current layout in earlier post:

Forgive me please.... But I think this is exactly why Americans hate Japanese train models. But to me, the layout is just 2 completely symmetrical loops that is even more plain than the plans that they show in the Kato and Tomix catalogs. No sidings for parking trains, just a couple of stations. But this is also another reason why I think Unitrack should never be used for a permanent layout - the curves are all the same. The train just runs round and round with absolutely no variation whatsoever...

I will add, the 'operational' side of things are very limited with passenger trains, and I am sure my layout won't be much more interesting, but at least if you could include maybe sweeping curves so that the Shinkansen can look more natural, or something along those lines. Just to break up the monotony of a perfectly symmetrical layout.

clem - thanks for the constructive criticism - would love to see a layout plan or pic of your layout or what you mean,

also - the sidings and sweeping curves are in the works, i am adding to my project slowly, i don't have $2,500 to sink into the project at startup. the reasoning behind my layout was that I wanted two stations for a "destination" type feel and wanted an inner double track superelevated loop independent of the station siding. i'd like to eventually recreate what i saw in 2008 when i was in japan - 4 shinkansens (100,300,500 and 700), the odakyu 5000 series, and the hakone tozan line. i was also thinking of modeling the odawara and kyoto stations as the two stations. kyoto being the viaduct station.

Guest Closed Account 1
Forgive me please.... But I think this is exactly why Americans hate Japanese train models.

We do?

This is what you get when you pitch with fixed track unless a curve ball is thrown and then you get a layout that's out of the park.

Shadrel has got a great start to keeping busy with more than 2 trains on the first layout picture. Depends on budget, room, and time. Oh and reaction time.

also theres a difference between models and track track is track which you says is bad but models are the trains which run on all track so perhaps your reasoning for people not likeing japanese model trains is incorrect. i'm sure a american wouldn't dislike a model train because he does not like the track when he could run it on any track.

How well does a Shinkansen or long car clear the sides on a Viaduct single curve Kato 20-540 381mm?

I imagine it works well enough. That's the the inside radius on most of Kato's double viaduct track, and I was running my E5 and 500 series through R315mm with no issues. R315mm is usually quoted as the minimum radius for Kato's Shinkansen.

The problem with single-track viaduct curves is that instead of the trucks or coupler/body binding, the side of a long car can hit the side of the viaduct (this is also a problem with curves leading into bridges).

I don't have any single-track curved viaduct to check.  I'd swear there was a thread around here somewhere about this, but I can't find it.

The double-track viaduct has an extra 5mm or so inside the wall for catenary poles, so it's not quite the same as the single-track viaduct.

Guest Closed Account 1

Standard curves of the viaduct set V2 is  R315.  I'm inquiring about R381 which is the inner track on the double curved viaduct set V13 and uses the old style ties. Should be ok.

KenS,

Its true. The single viaduct is tight. The problem is with the wall at the joints, they flare inward and catching the edge of the car. The longer the car the higher the probability.

I'll correct my earlier post - I was running my E5 and 500 Shinkansens through R315mm Single Viaduct with no problems :)

You don't have see evidence of rubbing?

Inobu  

The problem with single-track viaduct curves is that instead of the trucks or coupler/body binding, the side of a long car can hit the side of the viaduct (this is also a problem with curves leading into bridges).

I don't have any single-track curved viaduct to check.  I'd swear there was a thread around here somewhere about this, but I can't find it.

If I remember well, my friend's ICE2 train hits the wall in the single-track viaduct curves. My Eurostar train has no problem with it, but the coaches of the ICE2 are longer.

I'll correct my earlier post - I was running my E5 and 500 Shinkansens through R315mm Single Viaduct with no problems :)

You don't have see evidence of rubbing?

It's close - maybe a mm of clearance, but it goes with no problem.

I had a single track viaduct curve (R315) leading into a truss bridge and my 700 series (ambitious japan) had a couple of uncouplings when it hit the bridge, always the same two cars that would separate. I did two things - made sure all the track was straightened out on my layout, so the curve was truly 45 degrees, and changed the order of the cars on the train (followed the numbering on the cars). This seems to have done the trick, both the 700 and 500 series clear with no issues now, but very minimal clearance.