New greenmax storage cases

Greenmax will be releasing a 2 car and 8 car storage cases in July (up for preorder now at hs)

http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=104&scope=1&scope2=0&itkey=Storage+Articles+greenmax

8 car is in 6 different colors. bout the same size as all other full size containers and says paper sleeve comes with it and label size on the cases is the size of video cassette labels.

not clear from the pict how their 2 car case works, but they say the dimensions fit vhs storage racks so you could use these as holders for these cases (if you have enough of them!}

cheers

jeff

Not very keen on VHS storage - classic jewel cases store trains on their side which is not ideal (fluids can pool to one side over time), book style cases allow them to be stored upright, but a VHS case would be storing the train on it's nose.

You could use the VHS style on a shelf with the spine up, rather than out, but I wouldn't want to store cars on end in a real VHS rack either.  The 8-car box looks better.

The real question is how the larger cases compare with Kato and Casco cases.  I have a Greenmax train with 8-car and 4-car boxes, and if these are the same design, then they use a soft foam interior (similar to Kato and Casco and better than MicroAce's) but a hard exterior (like MicroAce) rather than the softer vinyl of the others.  The lid latch is just a shaped bit of plastic that fits into a notch, rather than a snap, which is the one thing I don't like.

Given the similar cost, I'd buy a Kato case. But I suppose if you have a lot of cased Greenmax trains, these would look better on a shelf with the others.