Central of Brazil 370

Nick_Burman

Nick_Burman

Unveiling in 2008 of the restoration of former Central Railway of Brazil 4-6-2 #370 (Alco-Brooks c/n 63533/1922). This locomotive was reputedly a personal gift of King Albert I of Belgium to the Central as a "thank you" to the Brazilian authorities for the welcome given during his visit an year before. In later years she got the nickname "Zezé Leone" (after a popular "Miss Brazil" of the late 30s-early 40s). For a long time she also had a permanent crew, the driver of which used to take his family to shed to help him clean and polish the loco... She was finally withdrawn in 1972 and plinthed outside Santos Dumont shops until 2007 when she was taken into the shops and had her restoration begun. After her roll-out and presentation she returned to the shops where she has since sat, steamable but with an unknown future. Restoration was paid by sponsorship between a trade magazine and the local railroad, I just hope both are aware that she's still there...

Cheers NB

• Like 2

I love her whistle. I hope she runs again, a steam engine in working order that is left on static display is such a waste.