DCC Decoder for Kato TGV K10918-25

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

Anyone convert their TGV to DCC?

Parts list shows K10918-25 M1 and K10918-26 M2 Circuit boards.

M1 is the powered car #1.

What are my choices for this conversion?

post-436-13569928051268_thumb.jpg

Unless I'm really tired, it looks like it takes a 6-pin NEM651 decoder such as

http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=283

or

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_mobdec_dz125IN.php

or similar things from ESU, Lenz, etc etc.  Just slide the little board out that's in the socket and drop one of these in.

The downside of the NEM651 is I don't think anyone makes a function-only version for the car without a motor.  But these are truly plug-and-play!

Plug what into what?

Here's the OEM board.

Apparently the same chassis used on the Thalys is used on the TGV AVE so nikndad who now sells the board that accepts the NEM51 decoders?

The chassis looks the same as the older Thalys and AVE, but I'm pretty sure that the board has been updated.  I think if you gently wiggle the little "daughter board" that I've highlighted below, it should come out.  It looks like it's just the dummy plug and you'd plug in the NEM651 in its place.  (I may be wrong, but it looks like this is right)

Kato_TGV_17469A.jpg

The older Thalys and AVE required you to toss the OEM board and replace it with an ESU board, and then plug the decoder into it.  (BTW, I can't seem to find anyone that has the ESU board anymore; not sure if it was discontinued or not.  I'm in need of one (not a set, just one).

Martijn Meerts

That's definitely a NEM651 socket, so any decoder with NEM651 plug should work just fine. It also looks like this is one of the more decent sockets, which means you won't have a lot of problems with bad connections and such :)

Guest Closed Account 1

The only place I can find the replacement DCC board is Kato-Unitrack.co.uk

Or did I misunderstand and just plug in a 6-pin DCC decoder?

TCS EUN651

Digitrax DZ125IN

post-436-13569928064396_thumb.jpg

Just plug in one of those DCC decoders.  You don't need to buy the replacement lightboard- that's for us with the older versions of the train.

BTW- I couldn't find the board at Kato-Unitrack.co.uk.  Can you post a link to it?

16 pages to sort through when searching for TGV. Here's the Kato UK Link:

http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/esu-kato-lemke-k147456-replacement-dcc-circuit-board-for-thalys-tgv-pos-21101-0.html

Just got the email today (after being on order for some time).... "We don't have this item in stock, and I'm not sure when we'll get anymore".   

So I'm back to square one of looking for one board (or a set, of course).....

Guest Closed Account 1

Here is a picture of my Kato TGV Thalys PBKA TGV with a TCS EUN651 decoder installed.

Any more complicated and a caveman could do it.

Does it work? Will find out over the weekend when my DCC controller shows up. Decoder showed up first.

Works great! Quiet. Still working on the trailing cab car directional lights.

post-436-13569928257184_thumb.jpg

Guest Closed Account 1

Just a follow up.

I have successfully installed TCS EUN651 decoders in both the Kato TGV's 10918 and 10917.

For the Tail Car:

Adding Rule 17 (CV 49=40) causes a blend of headlamps and tail lamps to be on in reverse at all speeds.  Even with a factory reset (CV8=2) the CV 50=0 which is not the value in the manual. I changed it to 16.

Here's what I have recorded on my inventory spreadsheet.

CV49=8

CV61=16

Tail Car same plus:

29=51

50=16

This corrects the directional lighting and the headlamps will dim when stopped on both cars.

It looks strange to see the tail lamps dimmed and because....

At 1 ft/0.5 seconds for a scale speed of near 260 MPH, this little guy is still moving 1.36 MPH real time.

Nice link, skip!

I made myself a spreadsheet to do all that, including deceleration to calculate appropriate lengths for DCC blocks.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Spaceman Spiff

Anyone convert their TGV to DCC?

Parts list shows K10918-25 M1 and K10918-26 M2 Circuit boards.

M1 is the powered car #1.

What are my choices for this conversion?

With my earlier TGV's I used ESU boards. These ESU boards dont seem to be available any ome. Will these Kato boards replace the oem boards and convert to DCC?

My original thread about replacement boards

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,4164.msg42382.html#msg42382

Spiff

Plug what into what?

Here's the OEM board.

Apparently the same chassis used on the Thalys is used on the TGV AVE so nikndad who now sells the board that accepts the NEM51 decoders?

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,4164.0.html

This thread can be merged.

Hello,

I'm very interested in this circuit board to use in several of my AVE trains.

Please, do you know where can I buy this item?

Thank you very much in advance & Best Regards,

Rintintin.

Guest Closed Account 1

Who bought the Kato Ave today from DmToys? I was waiting for an answer on their DCC install and somebody snagged it for 200 Euro. Bummer.

Spaceman Spiff

Rintintin, not sure if the boards are available anywhere.

I didn't buy it Webskipper lol.  I don't speak German but there is alot of nice kato stuff at Ebay.de.

Spiff

I've been looking for boards for about 9 months, and have been recently told they are no longer available from the manufacturer.  :sad: