Kato selling off RDCs

Yeah Mark!

That's the "camel train" alright.  The photo doesn't really do her justice because I do remember them being pretty damn shiney and clean on the outside.  What is it's real name?  Are they available in N scale?  I reckon I need one for nostalgia reasons.

The CPH railmotors I'm struggling with.  I'll take your word for it that it's the right train because you live on that line and work in the industry, so who better to ask?  I'm struggling to recall childhood memories of the CPH.  It was definitely the burgandy colour scheme and I don't specifically remember the cowcatcher on the front, but that's probably because it was blacker.  I do remember the coachwork inside and as a 12 year old boy scout thinking just how many hours went into it.  From memory it also had really great light fittings made from frosted glass.  I could also do with one of these in N scale .... hmmm ...

Ha, if you put those it a train today they'd be smashed within hours.  How our society has become so denigrated I really don't know.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Even among railwaymen they were simply known as the Budd cars, as they were unique on the NSWGR. I'm not aware of a specific N scale model of them, as due to our restricted loading gauge they were smaller than the standard US versions.

The CPHs probably don't look familiar to you in their preserved condition, but I can promise you that's what you were riding as a kid. Before the electrification from Sutho to Waterfall the suburban services down our way were all railmotors. As you say, the cowcatchers were painted black, and very weathered. Here's a view that might be more familiar, of a CPH/CTH set running into Waterfall.

13+Waterfall+1978%5B3%5D.jpg

I've got a nice view of one in the platform at the National Park, I'll find it and post it when I can.

Cheers

Yes Mark,

You've made my day.  That could well be the very train I used to ride on.  She looks much better in that colour scheme, don't you think?

I'd love to see the RNP photo, if you find it.

Cheers

The_Ghan

She looks much better in that colour scheme, don't you think?

To be honest, no. Of all the colour schemes the 42-footers carried, this is the one most people remember the best, but it's not my favourite.

As promised, CPH 31 at Royal National Park platform.

6031830623_38f340a6eb_b.jpg

I've got some other interesting photos of these and the Budd cars on the Illawarra, PM me and I'll send them as a zip file.

All the best,

Mark.

I'd sleep with CPH 31 if I thought Mrs Ghan wouldn't find out.

Thanks for posting this pic.  It really brings back the memories.  PM sent.

Cheers

The_Ghan