Kato selling off RDCs

rpierce000

I realize these are US prototypes, but Kato USA is selling off all of their RDC units, CHEAP!

If you would like an RDC or two, contact me at sales@bttrains.com and I will set you up.

I imagine that if we buy 4-5 of them I can keep them in the $35 range. Yeah, you read that correctly, $80 list, $35 for sale.

I do not believe these will last, so let me know.

Bob

That's a great offer.  If they were NSW or Commonwealth of Australia RDC's I'd be taking up that offer.

Cheers

The_Ghan

marknewton

The CR cars were stock RDC-1s, so you'd only need to re-letter them for an accurate model.

Cheers,

Mark.

These are really nice models. In fact, the first new N-scale items I bought as a (supposed) adult were two Kato RDCs. I ended up returning them, but only because I didn't want to model US trains anymore, and I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!! diesels.  :grin

marknewton

I've never had a model of an RDC in any scale, but I worked our full-size ones a couple of times when they were rostered on the "South Coast Daylight". Even in their twilight years they could go like the clappers, and rode well. I loved 'em.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

I've never had a model of an RDC in any scale, but I worked our full-size ones

OK, fine, you win, you're way butcher than me. :-P

• Like 1

I was wondering what was going on cause I am suddenly seeing a ton of them pop up on eBay for cheap. I already have a ton from when they first "cleared" them out. Picked up 3 RDC-1 in demonstrator colors @ $25 ea. The chassis would probably make great projects though for Japanese, they're a little long.

Nick_Burman

I've never had a model of an RDC in any scale, but I worked our full-size ones a couple of times when they were rostered on the "South Coast Daylight". Even in their twilight years they could go like the clappers, and rode well. I loved 'em.

Cheers,

Mark.

Here in Brazil we had RDCs in both meter and broad-gauge versions, the meter gauge ones being shrunk and squeezed to fit (Oz reference: they look a bit like the SAR Bluebirds). The broad-gauge units were standard off-the-shelf units which were employed on daytime semi-express service on the Rio de Janeiro - Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro - Belo Horizonte runs. On this last run the railcars traversed the Mantiqueira Hills, a curvy stretch of line on the border between Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais states. The RDC's agility and good riding characteristics encouraged drivers to take curves with a bit more eagerness than normal; because of this the cars earned the nickname of "little rockets" and a reputation for causing multiple cases of seasickness...

Cheers NB

Cheers,

Mark.

You're kidding, right?  Was that the train that ran through Oatley around 3:30pm on its way to Nowra?  If you had looked up at the road bridge south of Oatley station in the late '70s to see a school boy slouching on the railing waiting for the "camel-train", as I used to call it, then you would have seen me.  I loved the sound it made, the diesel fumes, the smooth way it left the platform.  I was convinced it was the fastest train in Australia.  It had to be!  It was silver!!!

While I'm on my nostalgia trip, the red rattlers were one of my favourites, especially the 7:56am terminator from Oatley to the city.  There was another train I used to catch whenever I went camping with my mates in the National Park.  It was a 3 car motor rail south out of Sutherland.  From memory, a huge headlight and a radiator or something on top.  While stopped at a station it would run a compressor to build up air, presumably for the brakes.  I had a vision of it winding up a big rubber-band and so named it the "rubber-band" train.

Yeah, I was a weird kid!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Bob,

possible to get NYC RDC-3 version? love to do the jet car! would go well with my zeppelin car!

thanks

jeff

quinntopia
The chassis would probably make great projects though for Japanese, they're a little long.

Interesting and good idea! Does anyone have length measurements of these? I always have such a hard time tracking down the lengths of American locos in N.  With Japanese and European trains its so common to see the length of the car/ loco listed, but American models don't typically provide this detail! :-)

rpierce000

No jet cars, sorry. I would buy a BUNCH of them if they were on clearance. The Kato site says they are made by hand to order, so I suspect we will have them around for a LITTLE while longer, but once the bodies are gone, that will be it.

The NYC RDC-2 and -3 RDCs have sold out, as have the RDC-1 undec and RDC-2 CP. The rest still show in stock.

Let me know... Early bird gets the RDC.

I am placing the order on the 20th, I will start to hold units on Monday.

Bob,

thanks, but only interest was to do the RDC-3 jet car for me. there is a 1/144 i think B57 with the right engines on it to roll your own!

the kato special edition did have a custom dcc sound board on it with the full engine rev up!

it would be a great contrast to the zeppelin car. then just have to dot he NJ jet tram track deicer!

cheers

jeff

Cheers,

Mark.

Here in Brazil we had RDCs in both meter and broad-gauge versions, the meter gauge ones being shrunk and squeezed to fit (Oz reference: they look a bit like the SAR Bluebirds). The broad-gauge units were standard off-the-shelf units which were employed on daytime semi-express service on the Rio de Janeiro - Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro - Belo Horizonte runs. On this last run the railcars traversed the Mantiqueira Hills, a curvy stretch of line on the border between Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais states. The RDC's agility and good riding characteristics encouraged drivers to take curves with a bit more eagerness than normal; because of this the cars earned the nickname of "little rockets" and a reputation for causing multiple cases of seasickness...

Cheers NB

See my recent thread on a fantrip I did on Saturday for some shots of our 3'6" version in Queensland. With their two engines and the same good riding bogies as our AirCon passenger cars they too could really motor along in less health & safety conscious days, now the 80kmh limit is strictly enforced especially as an inspector is usually rostered to drive.

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,4837.msg50218.html#msg50218

Yeah, I was a weird kid!

The world needs more weird kids. I'm trying with ours. :-)

Very cool train-watching memories to have as a kid, though. (I lived very close to the Florida East Coast line as a kid, but it has no passenger service at all--just gravel trains and generic freight.)

Guest Closed Account 1

Are there any undecorated silver steel cars to pull with an rdc?

I'm getting a Kato Jet RDC and want something to pull.

I believe, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that RDC 2 and 3 unit consists were made up of powered units and run as dummies. Kato only built motorized units, you would have to run a multi engine consist.  The jet is DCC so running a multi unit consist should be no problem.

I believe, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that RDC 2 and 3 unit consists were made up of powered units and run as dummies. Kato only built motorized units, you would have to run a multi engine consist.  The jet is DCC so running a multi unit consist should be no problem.

If you REALLY wanted to, it's not hard to de-power any Kato car. Just need to pull out the worm gear and anything else that prevent the wheels from free rolling. Will save you from having to shell out for an extra decoder I suppose...

I've heard the jet.. it's alright. N scale speakers are just truly too small to make anything really impressive. Everything just sounds whinny and tinny.

Guest Closed Account 1

What are the type of cars called that are named Wabash? Silver/Aluminum with the last car having a pointed end. Look like an unpowered rdc.

bikkuri bahn

What are the type of cars called that are named Wabash? Silver/Aluminum with the last car having a pointed end. Look like an unpowered rdc.

Wasn't the Wabash a Midwest bridge line railroad?  I wasn't aware of a rolling stock of that name.

You're kidding, right?  Was that the train that ran through Oatley around 3:30pm on its way to Nowra?  If you had looked up at the road bridge south of Oatley station in the late '70s to see a school boy slouching on the railing waiting for the "camel-train", as I used to call it, then you would have seen me.  I loved the sound it made, the diesel fumes, the smooth way it left the platform.  I was convinced it was the fastest train in Australia.  It had to be!  It was silver!!!

Yep, that's the one. It was a rather flash train for it's day...

6021872098_eb3faf3c67_b.jpg

There was another train I used to catch whenever I went camping with my mates in the National Park.  It was a 3 car motor rail south out of Sutherland.  From memory, a huge headlight and a radiator or something on top.

3348455250_77a2712328_z.jpg?zz=1

They were the CPH railmotors, known colloquially as '42-footers' or 'Tin Hares'. These are some preserved examples from the Railmotor Society at Paterson, painted in the late 1940s green and cream livery.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
Guest Closed Account 1

Wasn't the Wabash a Midwest bridge line railroad?  I wasn't aware of a rolling stock of that name.

Couldn't answer that. Just saw several cars with that name parked in a yard at a show.
Couldn't answer that. Just saw several cars with that name parked in a yard at a show.

Presumably Budd streamlined cars lettered for the Wabash Railroad...

Cheers,

Mark.