us shipping

Tracking shows all the to be expected movements from posting on 3 November until 0815 on Monday 5 November (processed through USPS sort facility at Chicago) - but no chance in the five days since. Is it normal for there to be a delay in leaving the US?

I'm afraid so and hurricane Sandy certainly didn't help. My last delivery from MB Klein (Priority Mail International) spent approx. 12 days in Chicago:

COCKEYSVILLE, MD 21030

Electronic Shipping Info Received

October 18, 2012

Processed Through Sort Facility

October 20, 2012, 5:49 am

ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

November 01, 2012, 11:38 am

GERMANY

Looks to me like it spent 12 days after being processed through Chicago sort facility (note they use "through," not "arrived") and being processed out of the "Germany" sort facility. So I don't think it was necessarily delayed in leaving the U.S.

Rich K.

Looks to me like it spent 12 days after being processed through Chicago sort facility (note they use "through," not "arrived") and being processed out of the "Germany" sort facility.

Date and time are exactly the same for "Arrived at Sort Facility" and "Processed Through Sort Facility". ;-)

Arrived at Sort Facility

ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

The tracking of DHL says:

Thu, 18.10.2012 11:56 h     United States     The shipment has arrived at the parcel center of origin

Sat, 20.10.2012 05:49 h     United States    The shipment has arrived at the export parcel center

Sat, 20.10.2012 05:49 h     United States    The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization. (Homepage / online shipment tracking: )

Thu, 01.11.2012 11:38 h     IPZ-Ffm, Germany   The shipment has arrived in the destination country

Thu, 01.11.2012 12:44 h     IPZ-Ffm, Germany   The international shipment has arrived at the import parcel center

Thu, 01.11.2012 18:27 h     Saulheim, Germany   The shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin

If the normal routing was from Chicago to an eastern airport sort facility, it could have been stuck waiting for those to reopen and process their backlog from the hurricane. Even FedEX and UPS had bunches of facilities closed by the storm (some for days) and a backlog of days for packages in much of the affected region once they reopened (my company had a number of things delayed), and the postal service handles a huge volume relative to them; any backlog is going to take time to clear.

The priority mail international is sort of like sal in that it waits for space available for air fright. Express get straight onto the planes and gets proceese before the priority and first class airmail. I expect the delay is time waiting for processing or space on the plane.

Priority mail international tracking also uses the customs ID number and not tracked as keenly as the express ID is.

Jeff

Well, no movement on the tracking, but I collected the order from the delivery office this morning - an attempt was made to deliver while I was out on Saturday 10 November. So, great service from MB Klein and USPS - many thanks all round!  :grin