What if you worked for Kato/Tomix/etc.. would you design/do?

Hobby Dreamer

Martijn Meerts

There's that as well yes. Turnouts are harder/more expensive to replace than regular track. On my way to and from work each day, I come across quite a lot of track where they use concrete sleepers except for the turnouts.

Interestingly enough, I've seen it the other way around quite often as well, where only turnouts have been replace, and the rest of the track just has wooden sleepers :)

I say until recently, last weekend QR installed a concrete sleeper scissors crossover at Ferny Grove in Brisbane. We have some sections of track where every fourth sleeper is concrete (every second one on curves) to cut down costs.

It mentions kit so does it require assembly  ?

I believe so, although I have never actually seen one of these models.

Cheers,

Mark.

I say until recently, last weekend QR installed a concrete sleeper scissors crossover at Ferny Grove in Brisbane. We have some sections of track where every fourth sleeper is concrete (every second one on curves) to cut down costs.

We have something very similar - one in every six, and one in every four on a few curves.

EDIT: I've been booked off for a few days, when I went back to work last night I noticed that the shunting neck that provides access to and from our stabling yard has been partially re-laid with concrete sleepers, and they're spaced at one in four. What I thought was a bit disconcerting was that some of them nearest the stopblock don't yet have Pandrol clips fitted. The rail is just sitting there on the rubber pad with no other attachment. Good thing we only run at walking pace at that end of the neck...

As for turnouts, I've noticed that where there is good flat site with access and room for a worksite, new turnouts are built on the ground using concrete sleepers, and then moved as a complete unit into position. Where there isn't room or access, we still use timbers.

Cheers,

Mark.

if you want to see a mish mash of both concrete and wooden sleepers being in operation, go no further than the Victoria Railway System lol

We have something very similar - one in every six, and one in every four on a few curves.

As for turnouts, I've noticed that where there is good flat site with access and room for a worksite, new turnouts are built on the ground using concrete sleepers, and then moved as a complete unit into position. Where there isn't room or access, we still use timbers.

Cheers,

Mark.

You might have a 'point' there. The new crossover at Ferny Grove was built beside the track and slid into place during a two day closure on the weekend.

• Like 1
You might have a 'point' there.

LOL! Good pun!

I think this is becoming the standard practice, next time I'm on a ballast train or similar, I'll ask the perway blokes if that's the case. It would make sense to build points that way, I reckon. Do all the fiddly work offsite, then just heave the thing into place during a possession, wire it up and away you go!

Cheers,

Mark.

if you want to see a mish mash of both concrete and wooden sleepers being in operation, go no further than the Victoria Railway System lol

I've seen some very wonky-looking track south of the border, but the thing that always leave me puzzled is your weird signalling.

Cheers,

Mark.

I've seen some very wonky-looking track south of the border, but the thing that always leave me puzzled is your weird signalling.

Cheers,

Mark.

I could say the same thing. :laugh:

Cheers,

Mark.

I could say the same thing. :laugh:

I can speak only a bit about the Victorian Railway Signaling system from a suburban level and from a regional level with the red, yellow and green signals. How they have a (going forward and moving back to asiganl that is double red)  two double red signal infront of a red and yellow and a green and yellow and then a green red signals.

But now we have been added some new signal that I have seen from NSW which sometimes confuse me due to the Letter signals not colour signals, then you have the I / signals which repeats the signal that you wouldn't see due to the curve of the track is interferring and it's an early warning signal for the drivers. But I can totally understand the JR signaling system.

I guess that you need to sit down and watch the changing of the signals to get a fair idea of how they change and then compare it with other states. I still get confused over the NSWR Signalling, but at least the trains run on time then I am happy but it's it's late I want to know why lol.