An Urban Tram/Bus Coffee-Table Layout

KenS

I think the control magnets would (they're quite strong).  The question is going to depend on the steering magnet, which is smaller.  And also on the thickness of the Kato plate and the size (thickness) of the guide wire you use.  The Tomix wire is set into a notch in the underside of the plate, so it's closer to the surface than it might otherwise be, but it's not the same as a wire set into the top (I've read of problems with Tomix buses and Faller surface-mounted wires).

ken,

do you mean the other way around that faller busses have trouble on the tomix roadways since the faller busses have weaker steering magnets? i thought there had been reports of that.

just curious

jeff

Bus window definitely. Are you satisfied with the quality of the bus itself? Would you get the Faller if you could do over?  If I can get it to work with the unitram plates I'll sell the Tomix roadway pieces. Interested?  I wonder if a figure 8 bus window is possible?  I was thinking of a coffee table layout under glass, its really dusty here in NM. Have you decided where yours will go?

If you add a commuter line you would need space to fence off the railway right of way from the street.  There are exceptions to this like Enoden and Keihan Keishin line, but these are rare and require Ministerial approval. Trains are not much bigger than trams, stations off street and simple.

• Like 1

Well, after not doing much of anything for six weeks, I moved what I had so far into the living room to free up space in the basement for other work.  I probably should have done this a month ago.

I went with a modification of the "bus window" track plan, although this diagram is wrong in one respect: I removed the crossover in the back, and now the two ovals are independent (since I'm making one a "train" line I didn't need to cross trams over between the lines to reach the engine house).

I did finish the backdrop off, using this photo, and I think it came out fairly well.

Someday I'll get back to this and add more scenery than the backdrop and a few Kato buildings dropped on the table, but for now at least I can run trains.  Well, "train", as at the moment I haven't hacked up the feeder wires to allow use of some other power pack, so I need to move my sole Tomix pack between the two (that's it with the Variac for 100V power and the switched outlet strip to shut the whole thing off when not in use).

My additional bus system starter sets are due in late August, and that will give me the track and bus stops I need to finish the bus loop (it's missing 140mm and two bus stops at present), as well as more for use with my big layout's Urban Station. And the train I plan to use on the "train" track (Greenmax JR West 125 Series) isn't due until September.  But my Modemo Setagaya trams are going to get a long-overdue workout.

One plus of doing it this way is that I'll have a couple of months (or more) to decide if nested ovals is boring, and I need to do something more complex, or if I'll be happy just running in circles and stopping.  I'm easily entertained, so I expect to be happy with running in circles (especially once I add a second power pack, which I do need to do).  Without any scenery, trying a different track plan will be fairly easy.  :grin

post-264-13569928559974_thumb.jpg

post-264-1356992856089_thumb.jpg

post-264-13569928561396_thumb.jpg

post-264-13569928561761_thumb.jpg

• Like 1