Night train re-openings & reservations?

spacecadet

Not sure if this is the right forum or if one of the other JR forums would be better, but my wife and I have finalized our trip to Japan for this year and we'll be there from June 19-26.  We've already done like 90% of what we've wanted to do multiple times on previous trips, but one thing we've never done and that I *really* want to do this time is take a night train.  And specifically, I want the best and biggest room possible on an end car - I figure I'm only going to do this once, so I may as well do it right.

I know the Hokutosei and Cassiopeia are not currently running.  I've seen reference that they're suspended until May 17, with service "TBA" after that.  Is that correct, that it's "TBA", or have they announced that it's actually starting up again?  I'm concerned that it will still be out by the time we go, or that it'll start up right beforehand and there will be so much pent-up demand that the end suite rooms for that week will sell out immediately (there really only need to be three other people who want them, I guess).

I know the Twilight Express *is* running now, but I don't know where we can pick that up, since we'll be starting in Tokyo.  What's the easiest station to get to from Tokyo?

Has anyone ridden these trains and have recommendations of one over another?

Also, how do you go about reserving rooms on these trains?  My wife's Japanese so she should be able to navigate a Japanese site, but can you even do it online?  This is kind of my thing, so I'm trying to make it as easy on her as possible and not make her hunt around or call overseas.

Thanks...

The JR Hokkaido site says Hokutosei is suspended until May 15, and Cassiopeia until May 16. It says that information on train operations after those dates will be released when available. It's a little vague, but considering the great progress JR East has made restoring its main Tohoku lines, I'm optimistic.

bikkuri bahn

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that Japan Rail Pass Holders cannot reserve trains from overseas:

http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/english/faq/japan_rpass.html

If you really are intent on reserving a premium room/berth, you can always buy a conventional ticket through a travel agency, which will allow you to make reservations, your wife can call JTB or Kinki Nippon Tourist, etc. and ask. 

As for using Twilight Express, you can take a Joetsu Shinkansen to Nagaoka, and catch the northbound Twilight Express which departs Nagaoka at 18:58.  You can also take the Tohoku Shinkansen north, and on the return leg catch the southbound Twilight Express, thoough it will deposit you in Nagaoka at 5:17, so you will have to "slum it" a bit in the station before the first shinkansens start running.

Thanks for the info - I've dug around a little myself too and it looks like my best shot is going to be to have my wife's family try to buy us a ticket in Japan a month before we want to ride.  I was hoping something had changed since the info I read was posted (the latest thing I could find was from like 2 years ago).  I'm not too optimistic :(

I had no idea these trains were so popular.  I had thought the night trains were really dying.  I wasn't sure they'd even bring back the Cassiopeia at all!

I think I've taken the Hokutosei out of the running, just doesn't seem as nice as the other two trains.  Hopefully we can get the suite room on the Cassiopeia or Twilight Express, but I have a feeling we'll end up with one of the regular deluxe rooms instead, if that.

bikkuri bahn
I had no idea these trains were so popular.  I had thought the night trains were really dying.

That's because the Cassie and Twilight Ex. are more like "cruise trains" marketed as offering a  "travel experience",  rather than common transport.  The level of long distance rail passenger traffic between Kansai/Kanto and Hokkaido is very low, as most people fly, or if taking a car or lacking funds, take the ferry. I reckon once Hokutosei's sleepers become too clapped out to maintain to standards (sooner rather than later), they will kill the service, and sell/donate the coaching stock off to some tropical nation in Southeast Asia.

CaptOblivious

Let us know how it goes! I'm hoping to do something similar this fall, and will be looking to your experience for advice!

Thanks for the info - I've dug around a little myself too and it looks like my best shot is going to be to have my wife's family try to buy us a ticket in Japan a month before we want to ride.  I was hoping something had changed since the info I read was posted (the latest thing I could find was from like 2 years ago).  I'm not too optimistic :(

I had no idea these trains were so popular.  I had thought the night trains were really dying.  I wasn't sure they'd even bring back the Cassiopeia at all!

I think I've taken the Hokutosei out of the running, just doesn't seem as nice as the other two trains.  Hopefully we can get the suite room on the Cassiopeia or Twilight Express, but I have a feeling we'll end up with one of the regular deluxe rooms instead, if that.