Summer 2011 project party?

Would you participate in the 2011 project party?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would you participate in the 2011 project party?

• Of course
    • I might, time permitting
    • Sorry, no time

Martijn Meerts

The words "project party" were mentioned again recently among the mods/admins, so I just wanted to post a quick poll to see what this year's interest would be.

Since some might not know what a project party is, the idea is that you build something (small-ish) which you start specifically for the project. It can be part of your existing layout, but building on the project only starts when the project party starts. Projects can be anything from building a new module, adding new tram station to your layout, superdetailing, weathering and lighting a building, putting together that huge castle building kit with full interior *cough*, scratch building an old-fashioned local station, building the ultimate floor layout that goes through every room in your house, etc. etc. The only 2 real rules, is that it should be Japanese, (we're not a Japanese modeling forum for nothing) and you should have fun doing it :)

More specific rules and guidelines etc. will be determined later on, but it's probably going to be something along the line of the participants keeping a thread updated on their progress while building, and getting feedback that way as well. You'd likely have 1 or 2 months time to build something before it'll be judged by the forum users. Whoever gets the most votes in the end might win a little something or the other.

For now though, we'd love to hear if people are interested in participating this year. There is of course no pressure here, if you sign up and figure out you won't be able to do anything after all, that's no problem (been there, done that :))

So, let the voting begin!

The timing is perfect since a lot is happening on my layout. Please count me in. I will however need time to decide on the project-piece that I post updates on.

Is the subject matter going to be open or themed?

I realise the initial post implies anything goes so long as it is Japanese.

Bus stations for the Tomytec bus system?

Mudkip Orange

I could get down with this. I have a hankering to do train work, but can't presently justify sinking hundreds of bucks into a large, fixed layout right now.

Martijn Meerts

Keiman, there's not going to be a specific theme. We tried that as well, but didn't really work out too well.

John, if enough people sign up, or at least show interest, we'll decide a start and end date. We'll leave plenty time for people to think of something they want to do.

Cheers Martijn,

Idea's starting in the Brain just need to look at what I will need. Think probably A4 sized Diorama.

I'd love to participate in a project party. I have a train show to go to in September, so I'm more or less obligated to get something done :)

I'm interested, but I always have less time than I expect.

One thing I found problematic last year was the split of the time into design and build phases.  I spend a lot of time thinking things through, but I also like to jump right in and get started, and then refine the design as I go, so dedicated up-front design time is mostly just time I can't be working.

Martijn Meerts

Seems to be quite a bit of interest. Of course, there's always the time issue, and as I said, there's really no pressure to get something done even if you decide to sign up. It would be nice to have a reasonable amount of people participating though, makes it more interesting to decide who gets the "prize" :)

Ken, I'm thinking the idea this time is that people give a general overview of what they are planning, maybe with a quick sketch or mockup, and then just start building from there.

Martijn Meerts

Okay, so we have 5 people definitely joining, and 11 joining if time permits, which makes it a total of 16.

If we get to at least 20, I'll throw in a little something for the 2 runners up :)

My tram layout will maybe be part of it. I'm moving in june, so I think I will have other things to do at home this summer (painting, building tons of Ikea furniture, etc.) but it's a small layout, so I'll try! :-)

Small centre module for the rural layout, kits on order, just got to wait for payments to clear then order track.

This will have rural theme- dirt road and track between fences. Fields as well.-- if every thing goes to plan.

Martijn Meerts

Sorry for the lack of info on this, been a bit busy recently with work and housebuying and whatnot :)

I'm thinking of doing the party in July and August, so there's 2 full months of build time, and that leaves all of June to come up with ideas and/or gather required materials etc. If that works for everyone, I'll set up a forum where people can create a thread for their project, and with creating that thread you sort-of-officially sign up ;)

• Like 5

I want to participate, I'm just not sure what project I could report on.

These are what I have on my list to do:

A new 30"x15" mini industrial layout which I've started trying out track patterns for. While I intend to keep it generic and it will use almost all Japanese building supplies (it won't be following any prototype, just designed for fun) it will be ultimately be American in prototype, a little layout to run a Bachmann 44 tonner, a bunch of Atlas beer can chemical cars, and an Atlas MP15DC road switcher to pick things up. This will probably take longer then the party to complete anyway.

Detailing 3 E127 sets with painted seats, passengers and some external detailing (probably painting pantographs and some roof details, maybe weathering bogies). This is mostly being held up because I need a few art supplies, I don't think it will be a 2 month project.

I might decide, after doing some of the industrial layout, to also weather some Kato Unitrack and detail up my plate track and station (see if it's possible to add ballasting). This is a very iffy project, I haven't set aside any window for ordering figures if I want to detail up the station. It's also something I'd rather do after the industrial layout though that may leave me without outside time.

Finally I do have one 2 month project planned, a 'Japanese' DCC throttle. However this will be almost 100% software. I'll need to write both a PC end and a program that will run on a Palm PDA. The PDA program will allow the selection of trains by name/face icon instead of by number, and allow quick switching/control of multiple trains. What makes it Japanese will be the change from the default 'cruise control' scheme used in US modeling, the having a fully modeled throttle/brake lever control scheme. The PC program will manage the speed of each train based on these cab controls, with a 'reverse speed table' to allow it to make scale speeds ('20 km/h') into the best matching speed step. This will allow the throttle to gauges, and will also include some kind of indicator for too fast acceleration/braking (passengers are getting a rough ride). While not planned for this phase I also want to incorporate sound - the Palm would play cab sounds (throttle position changed, brakes released, etc), while the PC connected to layout speakers would play train sounds and station announcements initiated from the Palms control.

Years ago, one of the original concepts for forming a "Project Party" was to help get started on a project that you've been putting off. So originally it can be anything.....finishing an area or scene on your layout, completing a diorama, or finishing that model structure that you only have 25% done. It's really about encouraging each other. So for me, if it makes you complete a task you been putting off, it's a success! Above all....have Fun!

Martijn Meerts

I created a forum and a quick info thread here: http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,4932.msg51100/topicseen.html#new

Feel free to sign up for participation, and if you need more info let me know :)

The idea is to keep everything as simple and open as possible, so that everyone can join in without being limited by what I think are good rules =)

As some of you may have already noticed, I have stopped working on my layout and playing with trains for a while now. Couple of major things in play. One is the fact the house that I rent is up for sale, so I had to tear down the little I had up. Secondly, I am leaving Australia in July and has been confirmed. Trains have to take a back seat till I am back home (Bangalore, India). Looking at the brighter side, I will not have 14 * 18 feet room for a layout if I wished to have a large layout. Meanwhile, I will following the progress of others for the project party everyday!

I am sure we will see some amazing entries and have lots to learn. I can wait to see the work start. Those working on projects will have lots of fun I am sure :)