Asahi Bicycle Sales Double as Commuters Haunted by Quake Seek Alternative

gmat

For your perusal:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-18/japan-bicycle-retailer-s-sales-triple-as-commuters-haunted-by-earthquake.html

The downside is rainy season is coming up. Cycled home in the rain tonight with a light windbreaker as I was caught off guard by the clear skies in the morning and also by a mistaken interpretation of the morning TV weather forecast said that the weather would turn from rainy to cloudy as the day progressed.

Best wishes,

Grant

Maybe Japan is turning into some kind of Netherlands. :P

A sped up video from my hometown, where I'll be moving back to soon. This is rush hour on a normal day.

Rush hour in winter. "Don't be a pussy, just go outside and ride your bicycle as always!" That's what parents say to their children in the Netherlands.

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Rush hour in winter. "Don't be a pussy, just go outside and ride your bicycle as always!" That's what parents say to their children in the Netherlands.

Not all parents ;)

Mine were always terrified I'd crash whenever there was snow.. Of course, there wasn't snow here all too often ...

I have ridden my mountainbike in Norway late winter though, through 15-20cm of half melted snow and ice.. Not easy :)

I was caught off guard by the clear skies in the morning

But you easily get in the habit of just having raingear on the bike (or in your bag) whenever you go out. After a couple of awkward days, you quickly find out what will work for your area, and it's easy from then on. I'm a big fan of making the bike carry as much as possible, rather than having a backpack or courier back.

Before my ongoing bout of sinus infections, I was a 95%+ bicycle commuter, even here in the US, and in a humid region. So it's not all that hard, even in places that aren't set up for cycling as well as Japan or the Netherlands. Now I'm only a part-time cyclist, but I'm hoping that we're close to a medical solution that will get me back on the bike.