The Beginnings of a Desktop Layout

Sir Madog

Although my much expected package, containing two more Tomytec buildings, road vehicles and figures, did not arrive by yesterday, i was able to do some work on the station module. The right side now start to look "right".

P1030042k.jpg

P1030046k.jpg

P1030045k.jpg

P1030040k.jpg

I hope that my package will arrive next week, so I can add the finishing touches to the module and start on my next module, which will have a Shinto temple on it.

• Like 3

Looks good.  Can you post a photo with a slight down-angle from above?  I don't think we're really seeing most of the scenery in these side-on views.

Also, have you considered adding wires with EZ-Line or something?  I've seen it used by Japanese modelers to simulate the dense overhead wiring typical of city streets, and I'm going to try using it for both that and catenary on my layout.  You've done such a beautiful job with the transfomers and insulators that it just cries out for wire.

I will do that in the next days.

I was already pondering to string some "wire", but I have to find out where I can buy the E-Z line stuff here in Germany.

I have been working on the city scene on my station module. Here is a quick shot of it:

P1030052.jpg

Still needs a lot of details, like power poles and power lines, a fence (in the background) and some more, of which I cannot think of right now.

Coming along nicel, though.

• Like 3

A little black cat, perhaps, peering around the corner of the blue building towards the two people up the street.

Cheers

The_Ghan

How tiny would that creature be? I already have issues with my eyesight and trembling fingers.

We all like pictures, so here are some more:

P1030057.jpg

P1030056.jpg

P1030054.jpg

P1030063.jpg

P1030063.jpg

P1030062.jpg

• Like 1

yeah yeah ... I'm teasing you!

How about a bunch of school kids following a teacher holding a flag?

I didn't see one bicycle in those pics ... this must be the only Japanese town without one.

The girl in the white mini-skirt (she didn't go unnoticed) needs some luggage ... she's off to Uni for the semester ... or leaving her boyfriend ... or something like that!

A lot of these little towns have a small fire station with a fire truck about the size of a Toyota Landcruiser.

I love the brown stucco building ... it reminds me of "home".

Cheers

The_Ghan

Those Tomytec figures are quite nice, considering they cost only a fraction of what Preiser is asking for their little people. Have not seen a cat yet...

A little black cat, perhaps, peering around the corner of the blue building towards the two people up the street.

Cheers

The_Ghan

How tiny would that creature be? I already have issues with my eyesight and trembling fingers.

they are pretty small, but you can get 1/144 castings even pre painted. they are made for 1/12 scale dollhouses in 1/12 scale dollhouses... some other furniture and animal castings that could be useful in some unique scenes here and there!

http://www.virtualdollhouse.net/VDSTORE/Metal2.htm

its looking nice sir madog!

cheers

jeff

... they are made for 1/12 scale dollhouses in 1/12 scale dollhouses...

Now that is just weird!!!!  But it begs the question, do they have a 1/12 scale dollhouse for the 1/12 scale dollhouse in the 1/12 scale dollhouse?

Cheers

The_Ghan

... they are made for 1/12 scale dollhouses in 1/12 scale dollhouses...

Now that is just weird!!!!  But it begs the question, do they have a 1/12 scale dollhouse for the 1/12 scale dollhouse in the 1/12 scale dollhouse?

Cheers

The_Ghan

your are looking at something about 3-4mm size. pretty easy just a box with a pointy end...

jeff

Not much progress in recent weeks, as I am battling a nasty and serious illness. I have adapted my plan slightly, just to incorporate an engine house which I will use as a shed for my EMUs. The plan for extending the line on the right side give me some headache - this is the place where my prize houses will go. Need more thinking on that.

Well, here is the updated plan:

Layout4-1.jpg

Rich - somewhere along the way of construction, the layout was changed from a desktop layout to a shelf layout.

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks for sharing your progress and hope you feel better..

This is another good example of a layout in N that could pass for HO!

Cheers

Rick

Spaceman Spiff
Now I am looking for some inspiration for my fifth module, joining this one to the right. I´d like to include a temple or a shrine, but don´t want to have another tunnel. Any thoughts?

Use these: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10126412 (Sankei Shrines)

Since your modules are very shallow I would encourage you to use this too: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10123336 (I don't remember if you are using Uni- or Finetrack but you can find this for both). By using this wooden foot path in accordance with the Shrines (and maybe if you can model a Tori) you'll be giving the illusion that the train is cutting through a temple area. Which at the end could also give a first hint of a "urban" area. Your next module could then be the first stages for a station.

You could also have some stairs (leading to a temple with maybe the shrine somewhere along them) and a retaining wall on a one side of the track. The other side could feature a Tori, a second shrine and maybe a hint of asphalt.

For the retaining wall and the wooden crossing give a look to this video. It'll give you ideas.

Thanks for the youtube link. That's mine kind of railroad. I could sit in front of that train all day,

Spiff

Not an update, just a little note that I am still around. I am in the doldrums, at least with regard to working on my layout. It´s basically a lack of attitude, which will hopefully change soon.

Before I can start work on the next module, I´ll have to put up the shelf. For whatever reason, I don´t feel like doing it. My desk is now filled with the modules I have built so far - there is only room for my little notebook left.

Hope to be able to post some new pictures soon.

• Like 1

Naja, there is no rush. Take care of yourself first. :) Anyhow, I'm sure that, once you put those shelves up, you'll feel better ant more eager to keep building those modules. :)

Mach's gut! :)

Ulrich,

Love the layout!  Absolutely beautiful work.  It's inspired me to start one similar in T Gauge :)  Hope you find more ambition soon and get it up on the wall.  Can't wait to see more.

I am still in the doldrums as to continuing to work on my mini-modules. I am currently making plans for a "real" layout, with the option to attach the modules I have built so far.

Sounds like a good plan, sometimes it good to put something aside for a while and work on something that excites you more, then when you come back to the thing set aside its either really exciting or you have come to a firm decision its an alley you dont want to put more effort into. while its nasty to make those decisions, sometimes its the best to let you move on in general.

very good thought to be able to attach your modules to them! fun little point to point option or something fun to enlarge the layout if you decide to eventually take it to a show or event! you might find taking some of this stuff to a club meeting or small event or train show a way to get yourself energized some and maybe even find or create a few new japanese modelers locally to hang out with some. again having some one else local you can get together with once and a while really helps keep the doldrums at bay! are there any japanese events in your area at all? might see if there is Buddhist temple as they sometimes have little events that might like this at it.

your stuff is really stunning and the simplicity of the modules construction and scenes really make a compelling piece that i think everyone would enjoy. the new 4 seasons layout would also be a big crowd pleaser and fit in the back of someone's van! with the 4 sections i can just see the little crowd around it rotating around the layout with quarterly pauses for oohs and ahhs as each new scene comes into view. thats something many layout dont have.

cheers

jeff

jeff