The Beginnings of a Desktop Layout

Sir Madog

This is just a preliminary set-up, nothing is fixed yet. Actually, I intend to build the station on just one module, to avoid any gaps.

Martijn - congrats on your vision!

Yes - it is one of the early Minitrix class T 3 0-6-0. It´s a gift from a friend, and I am currently restoring it. The loco is from 1965 and, while not a real value, something to keep for good old memory´s sake. No, I don´t intend to run it on my layout.

Martijn Meerts

Hehe.. I think I have about 7 or 8 of them. Quite a few of them have lost their motor though ;)

Sir Madog,

i was just thinking your ravine/waterfall module might really be a great place to try a little audio effect of some running/falling water sounds. little cheap mp3 player and a small speaker mounted behind in the foam somewhere. might be fun and bring it even more to life!

jeff

Just a quick update on my station module:

P1030026.jpg

P1030031.jpg

Now there is still plenty of work left until this module meets your discerning eyes. The two buildings in the back will eventually be replaced by two more contemporary and higher structures, lots of detail is still missing and, not to forget, a good weathering job.

• Like 1

You could just install some kind of end-of-track bumper (some of them are little more than ballast piled on the tracks) to simulate an end-of-line terminus station.  The single track going to two platform tracks actually looks good for that, as you can run one train in while another is getting ready to pull out.

Both KenS and Keitaro are right.

The reality in Sydney is that the wall would be grafittied in no time.  To overcome that, the local Council would commission a grafitti artist to do a mural.

Cheers

The_Ghan

PS: you're putting me to shame the way you turn out those modules so quickly !!!

I am still in the mind searching mode. Letting the track end just short of the wall and putting two high-rise building on top of that "block" just won´t be it - to bland. I need something more spectacular, but not unrealistic. I am thinkibg of adding another level in form of a highway overpass, adding depth as well as height to the module. Rix Products has the right kind, which is also suitable for a Japanese style layout.

Maybe I should prepare a drawing and post it here, just to visualize what I mean.

Hmmh , think, think.

Personal opinion, I'm not really fond of that design with the building on top of a hill and the station at a lower elevation. It seems to artificial to me.

Personal opinion, I'm not really fond of that design with the building on top of a hill and the station at a lower elevation. It seems to artificial to me.

Maybe that´s why I don´t like what I have right now. At least there needs to be a reason visible for that.

A change is still easy to do, so I´d be happy to receive suggestions.

Madog,

I've given the station some thought.  I think you should cover the last 4-6" of track with a tunnel and put a couple more buildings on top.  That way, it appears as though the line continues through the tunnel.  You can keep the ramp for the road and even the road across the top.  Just add a bit of "land" to the other side of the road, over the tunnel ... and a couple more buildings.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I have decided to rework that area on my module. I will take away that "big block" on the left and trade for a much lower one, maybe just 2 cm high instead of the 7 cm it has now. I also will put two bumpers on the track. A highway overpass will act as a scenic divider, adding some "drama" to the scene.

All I have to do now is to find a source for that Rix Product highway overpass here in Germany ...

I would have given you one if I had any but for the moment my brain is empty on that subject. But you idea seems good. You should try to mock it first, see how it looks and if you like it. You can also try to emulate Ken's work, he was building a Highway for his project party entry.

I would have given you one if I had any but for the moment my brain is empty on that subject. But you idea seems good. You should try to mock it first, see how it looks and if you like it. You can also try to emulate Ken's work, he was building a Highway for his project party entry.

Thanks for the hint!

This will be my weekend project - making a mock-up of that scene.

Martijn Meerts

You could make it so the track isn't actually a dead end, but that it's been ripped up by Goji, who's standing around where the little platform is =)

You could make it so the track isn't actually a dead end, but that it's been ripped up by Goji, who's standing around where the little platform is =)

Believe it or not, I might even do that :)

Maybe you could even add some cityscape on a retractable plateau on the side of the module. When it in use this part could be retracted under the module with a system to hold it in place and using some sort of metallic hinges to rotate... I know that sounds crazy but it could work depending of the height and length of the addition and be quite cheap to build. That could be nice to have houses in front of the station and had depth to the scene.

Well, I built a mock-up of that highway overpass yesterday.

P1030036.jpg

Aside from the fact that it is way too big ( must have set my mind on HO scale), placing it on the station module did not thrill me at all. Am I reaching for the stars with this one?

I am going to keep it simple!

I already have two small Japanese style buildings, which I will put on that module. I´ll be ordering two more, add streets & detail - that´s it, folks - less is more!

The RIX HO overpass is 25 HO scale feet, or 13.125m at 1:150

Stick a Jersey barrier down the center and it's a Japanese expressway with slightly substandard lanes and shoulders.

I am going to keep it simple!

I already have two small Japanese style buildings, which I will put on that module. I´ll be ordering two more, add streets & detail - that´s it, folks - less is more!

I think that's a good strategy. :)