The Beginnings of a Desktop Layout

Sir Madog

Guest Closed Account 1

Find a kid waving high and put a piece of round plastic in his hand to mimic a can. Then do some graffiti work at his height.

This is going to be an amazing-looking layout when you get the other modules done.  It's pretty amazing already.

Thanks for the kudos, folks.

It is far from what I´d call my dream layout, but under the given circumstances (unemployed, living off SSI) this is the best I can do (afford), with a lot of support from friends in the US and Canada.

I also learned an important lesson - the fun of model railroading has nothing to do with the size of your layout!

Guest JRF-1935

Very, Very Nice layout.  The fun - not the size, is what it's all about.  Hope you can work on the layout more often. 

Rich C

I was able to do some work on my third module this weekend.

P1020351.jpg

P1020352.jpg

The level crossing module to the left still needs quite a bit of finishing touches to it, but I am already quite happy with the looks of it.

• Like 5

I am thinking on changing the storage of the layout modules to a narrow shelf, so I can still operate them as a layout.

It´ll be a point-to-point job, but what the heck, better than to put the layout away each night.

Layout3-3.jpg

I really like what you're doing, for people who want to set up and layout and store it with ease, you're doing a fantastic job!

• Like 1

Some better pictures of the now finished module. There are still some details missing, like figures, a car, some track side details, but will have to wait for those until I can order them in Japan. It´ll be Fall - sigh!

P1020360klein.jpg

P1020359klein.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks, Kumo.

I have to admit that those mini-modules are really easy to add a realistic scenery to - much easier than to do a larger area. My key ingredients are Styrofoam for the shape of the scenery, dark brown acrylic paint, WS clump foliage and WS ground cover - that´s all!

• Like 1

Really impressive!! One feels that lovely Japanese atmosphere.

Please, continue posting your decoration techniques, materials and colours used (brand, reference). I think I'll copy many things with your permission....

Very good job!!!

Cheers,

Dani.

Dani,

the color I use for the clump foliage and ground cover is called medium green. I think it resembles the colors of Japan on a summer day quite nicely. Applying the clump foliage is also an easy job - just "plant" the clumps in a thick layer of white glue and give the whole thing a light spry with "wet water" - a mix of isopropyl alcohol and water. For what ever reason (capillary action?) this helps the glue to soak into the clumps a little, without making them hard.

Have fun!

• Like 3
Darklighter

Making plans for the next module - a scenic highlight of the layout.

Very nice! But how does it fit into your layout?

EDIT: Ah, next to the existing tunnel module.

Just a quick update on the development of my mini-modular layout. I have nearly finished my fourth module, the construction of which I have included in this year´s summer project party.

P1020400klein.jpg

P1020399klein.jpg

A few things are still missing, I need to add the water to the waterfall and some minor, but important details.

Now I am looking for some inspiration for my fifth module, joining this one to the right. I´d like to include a temple or a shrine, but don´t want to have another tunnel. Any thoughts?

• Like 2

Those are very realistic scenes.  Are you going to run all this on DCC or stay with DC?

DC for the time being. This will finally be a very simple layout, which does not really require DCC for operational fun. But who knows - I might upgrade it to DCC at a later date - just to enjoy smoother operation and sound.

• Like 1
Now I am looking for some inspiration for my fifth module, joining this one to the right. I´d like to include a temple or a shrine, but don´t want to have another tunnel. Any thoughts?

Use these: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10126412 (Sankei Shrines)

Since your modules are very shallow I would encourage you to use this too: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10123336 (I don't remember if you are using Uni- or Finetrack but you can find this for both). By using this wooden foot path in accordance with the Shrines (and maybe if you can model a Tori) you'll be giving the illusion that the train is cutting through a temple area. Which at the end could also give a first hint of a "urban" area. Your next module could then be the first stages for a station.

You could also have some stairs (leading to a temple with maybe the shrine somewhere along them) and a retaining wall on a one side of the track. The other side could feature a Tori, a second shrine and maybe a hint of asphalt.

For the retaining wall and the wooden crossing give a look to this video. It'll give you ideas.

• Like 2

If that's mediocre, I want to be mediocre someday!  :grin

But aside from the title (and I'd have chosen a less loaded word than mediocre since you're obviously not), that's an excellent article.  It really makes the point that you don't have to be an expert, and you don't have to fill a basement, to have fun in this hobby.  And that's something I think the magazines loose track of in their quest for splashy, impressive, layouts to fill their pages.

BTW, is there a reason the JRM page title shows up in my browser as "First Look at Kato's New Unitram Track"?