I think I have ADHD (+ Poll)

How many gauges do you model or collect?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How many gauges do you model or collect?

• 5+ (WTH)

On30 (Trying to capture the Oahu Rly hauling sugar cane but in Southern US ???)

Why don't you go for modelling one of the Kauai lines (or an iteration of them)? Both the Akuhini Railway & Terminal Co. (Lihue Plantation) and Kauai Railway were 30" gauge, so were the plantation railways which connected to them - Kauai had the greatest concetration of 30" gauge trackage in the US, this makes modelling much easier...

Cheers NB

I'm imagining it to be a narrow gauge division of my N scale Westfalen & Gulf on the gulf coast of Texas serving sugar cane growers in that area. Everyone in narrow gauge seems to model either D&RGW or logging lines.

I just thought, my N scale is actually three scales, US 1/160, Japanese 1/150 and British 1/148.

Why don't you go for modelling one of the Kauai lines (or an iteration of them)? Both the Akuhini Railway & Terminal Co. (Lihue Plantation) and Kauai Railway were 30" gauge...

I didn't know there were 30" gauge lines in Hawaii. The last thing I need is another railway to become besotted with, thanks Nick! :grin :grin :grin

Seriously, that's very interesting to learn.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mudkip Orange

I try very hard to maintain geographic separation, HO is American and N is Japanese.

In practice this means resisting the call of NA-prototype N scale (like the Kato METRA MP36/Bilevels coming out next month), even though I already have track with which to operate them.

If I ever give in I just know I'll end up with three layouts at some point.

Nick_Burman

I'm imagining it to be a narrow gauge division of my N scale Westfalen & Gulf on the gulf coast of Texas serving sugar cane growers in that area. Everyone in narrow gauge seems to model either D&RGW or logging lines.

I just thought, my N scale is actually three scales, US 1/160, Japanese 1/150 and British 1/148.

I agree, it's one of the reasons why I never took to HOn3 - there seems to be only D&RGW stuff in the market and frankly, one you've seen a 3000-series boxcar or a K-27 you've seen all of them, it's all very boring.

As for logging, it depends...I find Eastern US logging outfits more interesting than their Western counterparts. The logging pikes in Pennsylvania were the most interesting IMHO as most of them fed chemical factories rather than sawmills - hemlock bark (for tanning extract), chemical wood (charcoal, wood alcohol) and pit props rather than sawn lumber...

If you're modelling the Gulf Coast, then you should investigate the railroads of the Louisiana sugar plantations - several of them (Patout, Westfield and Lula plantations come to mind immediately) had narrow-gauge lines (both 30" and 36" gauges) which would be well in line with what you would like to model...

Cheers NB

• Like 1
Nick_Burman
Why don't you go for modelling one of the Kauai lines (or an iteration of them)? Both the Akuhini Railway & Terminal Co. (Lihue Plantation) and Kauai Railway were 30" gauge...

I didn't know there were 30" gauge lines in Hawaii. The last thing I need is another railway to become besotted with, thanks Nick! :grin :grin :grin

Seriously, that's very interesting to learn.

Cheers,

Mark.

If you really want to become besotted on this subject there is a three-volume series (which can also be bought as a single-volume copy) on railroads of Hawaii. It covers all the narrow-gauge common-carriers, the plantation lines and the odd standard-gauge railroad, the Hawaiian Consolidated RR, wiped out by a tsunami in 1946... :sad:.

http://www.87module.com/ - These guys chose Hawaii as the theme for their HO modules, the result is very good and highly inspirational...

Cheers NB

• Like 1
I agree, it's one of the reasons why I never took to HOn3 - there seems to be only D&RGW stuff in the market and frankly, one you've seen a 3000-series boxcar or a K-27 you've seen all of them, it's all very boring.

You're not wrong. As impressive as some D&RGW layouts and models can be, they tend to all blur together in my view.

Cheers,

Mark.

If you really want to become besotted on this subject there is a three-volume series (which can also be bought as a single-volume copy) on railroads of Hawaii.

I think I've seen a copy of this at the ARHS bookshop, I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.

These guys chose Hawaii as the theme for their HO modules, the result is very good and highly inspirational...

It certainly is. Clever use of what appears to be "astroturf" to represent the cane crop. And the Mason 4-4-0 is very appealing.

All the best,

Mark.

Nick_Burman

Go for it as far as the Hawaii book is concerned. I haven't got a copy but I would like to have one as I did my university dissertation on sugar railways in Brazil (to be published, some day...) and it wold be useful to compare our practices with those in Hawaii.

What tingles me in the HOMP layout is their use of HO Kato Unitrack - it looks so good! A friend of mine in Rio knows one of the HOMP members, I asked him to get more pictures of the setup...

Cheers NB

marknewton

Just got given the softcover editions of Vol. 1 and 2 of the Hawaiian Railway Album - magic!

Cheers,

Mark.