I think I have ADHD (+ Poll)

How many gauges do you model or collect?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How many gauges do you model or collect?

• 5+ (WTH)

So with a LOAD on N gauge (mostly Japanese) stuff in my collection and an ambitious layout on my to-do list, I've started dabbling in HO. I actually started out in HO after receiving a load of hand me downs from my dad as a kid, but then my dad's uncle (who worked at Bachmann in Hong Kong) gave me a ton of N scale. I ditched HO, got into N scale, and then really got into it after seeing Japanese rolling stock at the Sogo in HK.

Recently, I bought a batch of HO stuff off harukablue (who could resist?!?). I was only meaning to display them, but then one thing led to another, and I've already bought a Unitrack HO set and bought out the rest of harukablue's inventory before a single one of my locos even arrived hahaha.

I am seriously hoping this is not the start of something. Just wondering if this is normal. Anyone else here model more than 1 gauge?

Not only that I also like RC helis and cars. And am an audiophile. And loves photography. And the list goes on. I really think I have ADHD.

I've been tempted by T-gauge and have considered American HO too.

A better example for me would be difficulty staying on target with just N gauge.

Nick_Burman

Let us see...

- Japanese N scale;

- On30 (trying to capture some of the flavour of Brazilian narrow gauge, especially the 30" and 24" gauge lines);

- HOn30 (BCH Minitrains set);

- American HO (half a dozen orphan freight cars from an aborted project to model the CNJ or the EL);

- Japanese HO (one Tenshodo steeplecab);

- The leftovers of my American N scale collection.

Enough? :grin

Cheers NB

Not only that I also like RC helis and cars. And am an audiophile. And loves photography. And the list goes on. I really think I have ADHD.

You're just a generalist with multiple enthusiasms. (I resemble that remark.)

Claude_Dreyfus

T, N and Japanese H0 are my main areas...however does UK 00 count as a scale in its own right?

My Japanese H0 consists of too many locos and nowhere enough stock...nor anywhere to run it on a regular basis.  :sad:

In my case

N Scale trains and trams. Hesitate to list them separably

HO / OO. Mostly British trains and European tram

Photography - interested and have some decent but older equipment. I am only getting the hang of it

Planted aquariums. Had 2 at one point of time

Lego - tons of them! And Lego trains? Yes! Small batch of K'Nex

Audophile

Collecting / painting war gaming miniatures,. Mostly Lord Of The Rings

I stop with the above.

And what is ADHD again?

N gauge Japanese trains

HOn30 trams

HO traction (aborted project, some remnants in boxes)

O scale ETS tram track and a couple of trams (very small box)

Some traction photography

And oh, how I would like to do something much larger outside.   :grin  :lipssealed:

Oh Boy....here it goes:

N scale mostly Japanese but some European and N. American

HO scale N. American started before I discovered n scale

S scale N. American my 1st train set

O scale N. Am inherited from my uncle

G scale my father's trains

Well, I had to say 3, although I'm really only actively collecting N these days.

I used to model contemporary American freight (Conrail) in HO, and may someday return to it.  Most of it's boxed up for now, but I have a couple of display-quality HO models (a GG1 and an E-44, both Pennsy, neither of which was ever going to run on the HO layout other than just to see them run) sitting in display cases in the living room and could see myself acquiring more if I saw the right one. I find the Bachmann OO (it's almost HO  :grin ) series 66 strangely appealing for some reason.

And I have a soft spot for Maine 2-foot trains, and a Bachmann ON30 Forney as a result (along with a few cars), with a vague idea that someday I'll build a small layout.  I couldn't even run it on my HO layout more than a couple of feet due to clearance issues. ON30 is O scale with HO track, so I'm counting it separate from HO.

I find collecting Japanese trains I can actually run much better.  :grin

On30 (Trying to capture the Oahu Rly hauling sugar cane but in Southern US ???)

HO (US/Chinese)

N (US/Japanese/British/a bit of German and Taiwanese)

Nn3

T

N gauge  Japanese and some british

T gauge

Z Gauge  with sub division of Zm    US and Swiss. (Zm- RhB)

Plus real Subaru's and a collection of Model Subaru's.

N scale mostly. Some T-gauge as well, but not really worth to mention. However I used to do a lot of 'modelling' (thousands of sprites) in OpenTTD, but that was digital work, but still consumed a great lot of my time.

Samurai_Chris

In any hobby I take up. I make a point now of just collecting the bare minimum of personal interest..

I am someone that has an addictive nature, so I have to keep my interests in check...

That is why when I started N Gauge railway, I decided to just stick to Fukuoka-Ken....

Chris

In order of importance...

1: HO - JNR and some private lines. I did have a large amount of US-prototype locos and cars from my previous layout, but most of that has found new homes.

2: HOe - the Kintetsu 762mm gauge lines, the Patagonian 30" gauge lines and the Russian 750mm gauge lines.

3: 7mm/1:43 (UK O scale) - Sydney steam trams.

4: 5" gauge live steam.

Cheers,

Mark.

I have Marklin HO "leftover" form my childhood and my father's (nice to see that 40 years old loc still runs like a charm) but I really model only N scale. I find the scale a perfect compromise between details and ability of making a real looking layout without needing a huge room.

Martijn Meerts

I'm interested in too many things, so I end up buying a ton of stuff I'm not likely to use anytime soon, if ever ;)

As for the trains.. I have Z, N, H0 and 0, with the main focus being N. I'm also doing some 0 scale now and then, but that's taking it's time because I'm hand laying all trackwork :)

I'm interested in too many things, so I end up buying a ton of stuff I'm not likely to use anytime soon, if ever ;)

Amen Bro. We're all hoarders dreaming of that one big day when we have our huge, house filling, perfectly detailed, 1,000 scale-km layout.

Amen Bro. We're all hoarders dreaming of that one big day when we have our huge, house filling, perfectly detailed, 1,000 scale-km layout.

That's the layout I've been trying to focus on, but I still buy things that don't fit it.

Really just 2 gauges for me.

N (Japanese, North American, British and European.. (addict))

S (inherited my Father-in-Laws collection of American Flyer).. was going to sell it, but those big heavy locomotives are pretty neat!

now I just have to find somewhere to put the 50+ locomotives and limitless cars! ack!)

Other "addictions"

Miniature wargaming miniatures.. mainly 6mm or smaller (over 1000 tanks! ack!)

would collect old 8 bit computers but wife just glares when I mention it :)

books!

Graham

lordwinslow2

N Gauge - Japanese and looking into picking up some British Locos soon.  Also got a mess of old German (East I think) from a coworker.  The engines are crap (been sitting in boxes for years need to pull them apart for a cleaning and lubing) but the rolling stock is in good shape.

OO Gauge - Couple of Hornby sets, want to set something up, only limited by space at the momment.  Love my Flying Scotsman.

Winslow 

Nick_Burman

On30 (Trying to capture the Oahu Rly hauling sugar cane but in Southern US ???)

Why don't you go for modelling one of the Kauai lines (or an iteration of them)? Both the Akuhini Railway & Terminal Co. (Lihue Plantation) and Kauai Railway were 30" gauge, so were the plantation railways which connected to them - Kauai had the greatest concetration of 30" gauge trackage in the US, this makes modelling much easier...

Cheers NB

• Like 1