Bicycles

Just for fun -painted some Tomix bicycles and took a few bits out of the scrap box to make a place for my commuters to leave their bicycles by the suburban station.

post-396-13569927885083_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice. That's a good detail to have near a station.  I have a few bicycle sets on the shelf for just that purpose myself.

But aren't they a bit monochrome?  I tend to think of bicycle frames as being more colorful. And chrome handlebars and hardware (likely too small to model) constrasting with black tires.

Or, more likely for Japanese or European commuter clunkers that get left out in the weather, mud-color wheels and rusty handlebars.  :grin

• Like 1

Or, more likely for Japanese or European commuter clunkers that get left out in the weather, mud-color wheels and rusty handlebars.  :grin

They're known in the biz at "station bikes." Some people have "station cars" -- low-value clunkers good enough for getting to the station and back.

Rich K.

Whoever built that one in the auction has done a damn nice job of getting a consistent bend in those bits of wire!

I now have to build one of these for my station layout :)

• Like 1

actually easy to do with a pair of round end pliers, just keep doing the bends around the same place on the conical plier ends. then flatten out the U shapes with flat pliers. fine steel instrument wire works great for stuff like this or stiff jewelers wire.

cheers

jeff

For reference - these are all bikes near train stations.  The ones in the massively long line that goes for like a mile (it really goes as far as the eye can see in both directions) are outside Shin-Urayasu Station.  There is actually quite a bit of color.  The Japanese don't really do anything in black.

post-405-13569928499935_thumb.jpg

post-405-13569928500693_thumb.jpg

post-405-13569928501234_thumb.jpg

post-405-13569928501795_thumb.jpg