Where do you purchase most of your model trains?

Where do you purchase most of your model trains?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you purchase most of your model trains?

• Foreign Online Retailers
    • Domestic Online Retailers
    • eBay
    • Local Hobbies shops
    • Swap Meets and/or Friends
    • Other

Will do... I just tried to find a link online of the set and I can't... neither on Japanese search or Google. The only relevant link is Japanese Model Supplies where you'll see the set listed (and a nice illustration of the consist.) Turns out I need 3 extra cars for the complete set and they're also impossible to find online :(

Oh well... I nearly have the whole train :D

Does anyone need the cars I don't need from the 5 or 3 car addon sets? :)

I'm going off-topic... back to the hobby stores.

edit: here's the link to a yahoo auction for my set and the three additional cars I need

Martijn Meerts

Hmm.. That 7 car set must be an older one. The article numbers in the pictures on the Yahoo auction aren't mentioned in the Tomix catalog at all..

I bought my twilight express not all that long ago, it was in stock at Tomix, so it wasn't a problem getting it at all...

It consists of 3 sets and an extra car.

Set 1 is 92240 and includes the EF81 and 2 cars.

Set 2 is 92241 and includes 5 cars.

Set 3 is 92242 and includes 3 cars.

Optionally there's the dining car with lit table lamps (replaces the dining car in Set 2), which is 8514.

Fenway Park

Since JR Models sold up I have purchased mostly from Japan Model Railways in Germany and Wellington Models in the UK. Excellent service from both. 

Also used to buy from M G Sharp on occasions but now they are only a retailer no a wholesaler.

I purchase 99% of my stuff online from internet train shops or on ebay. The one hobby shop in Manhattan is cluttered dusty and rarely has any Japanese stuff. Its nice to go in to a store and pick up and feel the merchandise before you pay for it and you cant do that anymore. On the other hand its nice to shop from the comfort of your home without the crowds & traffic. If there was a lhs that catered to my needs Id support fully but until that time comes I'll keep ordering from online.

Claude_Dreyfus

Currently looking to get future items from Gaugemaster, however the jury is still very much out on their service at present. I have a couple of items on order.... The vast majority come from Plaza Japan, although the net has expanded to others, including Newhall Station - reserved only for items that I cannot get elsewhere!

Essentialy Ebay, but shops on ebay...

Locally shop is for small things (paint, glue...).

I saw a beautifull collection of japan train once in a local shop, and price was twice the price of Japan sellers.

Since we have many new members since this thread was last active, I'm bringing it back ^_^

The one good general train store in Toronto has closed its city location. So this city of 2,700,000 does not have a good general train store/hobby shop.  There are a few in the far outer suburbs but nothing in the core.

My "personal shop" is RAINBOWTEN for 99% (believe me or not, in Italy anyone sell japanese trains, only on Ebay you find something but is a guy that buy from Plaza and resell), normally I work with pre-order so I'm sure I recive all I want (in the last 10 years I've never lost anything that interest me)

The rest on E-bay and Yahoo japan auction (old items and Kato Roundhouse items -TGV, AVE, etc...)

Massimo