Tomix Wide PC Layout videos

bill937ca

lordwinslow2

That is neat!  It is nice to see it laid out, it does work well it seems.  Would be interesting to see how much more it would to do an entire layout with these extensions.

Winslow

Krackel Hopper

I couldn't quite understand what the whole point of the "wide" system is anyway. Maybe someone can elaborate?

For starters, the Wide PC rail uses concrete ties compared to wooden ties of regular fine track.  Wide rail also uses superelevated curves.  The Wide PC is single track, but the ballast is the exact width when you put two of them side-by-side (and connected with little tabs) they are the standard Tomix 37mm track spacing.  Finally, the Wide PC rail is designed so you can connect any of 3 different style walls/fences to the edges of the ballast, as shown in the video above.

Basically, it's the Tomix modified version of Kato's "plate track".  An all inclusive system for creating a scene.  The Kato plate track is awesome, but came in extremely limited pieces (much like Unitram now) while Tomix has made the Wide PC with more flexibility (like WideTram)

2010_0110image0250-640.jpg?w=450&h=337

It duplicates the wider track centers found typical of narrow gauge lines like JR's 1067mm lines.  Here's a Japanese rail blog with several photos showing the wider track centers.  Narrow gauge equipment has more overhang than standard gauge equipment.

I couldn't quite understand what the whole point of the "wide" system is anyway. Maybe someone can elaborate?

Here's a photo from a Japanese train show, showing various uses. How about a completely ballasted yard?

Rich K.

post-448-1356992793063_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The Kato plate track is awesome, but came in extremely limited pieces (much like Unitram now) while Tomix has made the Wide PC with more flexibility (like WideTram)

Ahhhh I see now! I never really understood but I guess now it makes sense. The Kato plate track is not awesome, it's terrible! I really hated how it was taller then regular Unitrack, and of course the fact that it only comes in 1 size of curve (and a small radius at that).

Martijn Meerts

Looks like a really stable bit of track, great for temporary floor layouts I'd say..

Krackel Hopper

The Kato plate track is not awesome, it's terrible! I really hated how it was taller then regular Unitrack, and of course the fact that it only comes in 1 size of curve (and a small radius at that).

I still think the plate track was awesome.. at least in theory.  I love the ability to create an entire scene all within the confines of one plate.  It was just poorly executed by having compatibility issues and extremely limited selection.

Either way, the Tomix Wide PC is a similar system, with seamless compatibility and they are continuing to release new track pieces for it.

post-216-13569927931838_thumb.jpg

The Kato plate track is awesome, but came in extremely limited pieces (much like Unitram now) while Tomix has made the Wide PC with more flexibility (like WideTram)

The Kato plate track is not awesome, it's terrible! I really hated how it was taller then regular Unitrack, and of course the fact that it only comes in 1 size of curve (and a small radius at that).

Kato plate track seems to be very popular in its home market for on the floor layouts which can quickly run two trains.